PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Andre Carter and Mark Anderson provide a CONSISTENT pass rush?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do we have a good pass rush?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else thinks Carter looks awesome?

The dude looks like a gladiator or some greek god.

No homo.

I voted no until it's done in at least several weeks in a row

Even the worst teams in the NFL have a real good day offensively or defensively but the next week,it's back to the old problem.

We will see what this Dline can do against a much weaker and banged up KC OLine Compared to the Jets line.

It SHOULD be even better if Sunday wasn't an aberration...we will see....

Lets just hope that the coaching staff doesn't decide to switch something up. Seems like sometimes they don't care to break away from something that is working.

It wasn't just anderson and carter. I noticed more twists and stunts than I've seen all year as well. This team needs to just keep on attacking the pocket. Playing the run should be secondary. Most teams, like the patriots, will rarely commit to the run. The Jets are actually one of the teams that will and it worked against them. This goes against everything I've believed in my 40+ years of watching football but it's a recognition of how offense is played in 2011.

Thaaaaaat's right.

Anybody else thinks Carter looks awesome?

The dude looks like a gladiator or some greek god.

No homo.

I little too good methinks...

I voted "no". I just fear this will be too much like the week after the preseason game when it seemed as though this D was going to be ultra-aggressive...

I believe Carter has played well all year, but I want to see this rush/success a few more weeks before becoming too excited. Definately a good sign though.

I'll have to watch the game again, but on Ninkovich's pick 6, we rushed 3 inside the tackles and got into Sanchez's face immediately. If we can drop 7 or 8 and have even a moderate pass rush, 3rd downs will become a lot easier. That's gonna be the key to this defense being successful... our D has always been good against the run.

Judgement reserved until this can be repeated a couple of more weeks :snob:

I voted no until it's done in at least several weeks in a row

Even the worst teams in the NFL have a real good day offensively or defensively but the next week,it's back to the old problem.

We will see what this Dline can do against a much weaker and banged up KC OLine Compared to the Jets line.

It SHOULD be even better if Sunday wasn't an aberration...we will see....

I agree completely, just as we make changes in our D the other teams make changes in their blocking schemes.....

You are also facing Charlie Weiss who knows our tendencies as well as anyone...

Last edited:
I voted yes, because that's what I hope happens rather than I am positive it will. Maybe you should add a third option, like, "They'd better, because if they don't we are in deep doodoo." ;)

I agree completely, just as we make changes in our D the other teams make changes in their blocking schemes.....

You are also facing Charlie Weiss who knows our tendencies as well as anyone...

I would like to think we've changed just enough since he left. That was, afterall, 2005.

Carter has been UNREAL this year, and our only consistent pass rusher. Anderson has looked good in spurts but not bringing it as consistently. I haven't voted yet, but will probably vote no as this was game 9 for us...and the FIRST game where we consistently got big game pressure and sacks on a QB. I think in most good pressure D'S it takes MORE THAN TWO to bring the heat. LB should be breaking thru....heck Rodney Harrison used to blitz in pretty successfully sometimes! Alot of it comes down to schemes....alot is.obviously personnel.

Carter has been a beast all year. People are just noticing now, but he's been pressuring QBs from Day 1 in a Pats uni.

Kudos for the Jets game....and I would say a definite improvement but we need consistency. I did see alot of more of line movement instead of the standard two outside and two thru the middle. We should be able to do the same with KC since they have an inexperienced QB. I think KC is going to run the ball alot to keep there QB upright. so not alot of sacks against them. I am just hoping for ..constant improvement.

this is also the first time though(that I can recall) where Anderson/Carter played alot of snaps together....Ellis used to be the starter and he is Alot slower..and it showed because Andersons quickness coupled with Carters just blew up the pocket.

anderson is a liability in the run game, but thats something I would be willing to risk. especially once Spikes comes back from the injury.

a consistent pass rush will help our secondary

I hope they can. The pass rush certainly seems to be getting better but I'll take more consistent hurries over sacks. At times still it seems there's nothing for periods of time.

BTW Anderson has been dropping into coverage from time to time and even has a pass defended. One play against the Giants they sent a zone blitz up the middle with Mayo and he dropped and that was the pass defended. Love seeing them mix up the schemes and apply pressure from different looks. If he can do stuff like that it's huge.

Carter has been a beast all year. People are just noticing now, but he's been pressuring QBs from Day 1 in a Pats uni.

Yup. He is tied with either Woodley or Ware (I think it's Ware) in the NFL for most QB hits.

These guys will do the job against the Chiefs, Eagles, Colts, Redskins, Broncos, Dolphins and Bills.

The Washington Redskins and the Miami Dolphins are two games to mark on your calendar if you like to watch quarterbacks being drawn and quartered. The Redskins have given up 27 sacks (3/game) and 62 QB Hits (6.8/game) - roughly 1 of out every six playts the quarterback gets nailed. The Dolphins have given up 29 sacks and 62 QB hits. Fun.

The Patriots by comparison have given up 16 sacks ( tied for 7th in the NFL)and 38 QB hits (9th).

Personally, I think the addition of Deaderick has made a big difference too. The d-line has been far more consistent since he returned (the Pats did pressure Manning 21 times and Roethlisberger a lot).

Now this d-line isn't going to be one of the top d-lines in the league, but they will provide more pressure than they did early in the season.

The good news, with all the bad offenses the Pats will face, this d-line can work on continuity and confidence to hopefully make it that much better in the playoffs.

I don't think I'm alone in believing that the lack of a pass rush has been what's primarily holding back this D for the past few seasons. We've seen guys like Banta Cain post double digit sack numbers or guys like Burgess have their brief flashes. But that's not something you can hang your hat on. I don't think we've had a legit pass rush since 2007; when Vrabel was in DPOY contention and Colvin was still solid. I really don't want this to turn into a thread on trading Seymour or passing on Clay Matthews or anything that cannot be undone.

So, what about the pass rush of 2011?

Cause they looked fantastic against the Jets. Obviously no one can realistically expect 4.5 sacks per game from Carter or Anderson. I just want to know if this pass rush can consistently pressure the QB. I've wanted to see Anderson as a starter for awhile now; yesterday was his first start and I thought the pass rush was much improved. I thought his ability to get off the LOS was really impressive. He looked fast. Andre Carter totally dominated D-Brick. We haven't had that in a long time in NE.

But was it something we can expect in the games to come; or was it simply a result of playing a crappy Jets offense? I'm 'on the fence' myself. I'm really not sure. I'm skeptical about such a rapid 180 and cannot help but think its a pipe dream. But, then again, I really do not think there is any way to down play Anderson's ability to get off the LOS. He's quick. He has moves. He's been doing it all year (when given the chance). Carter has been a great pick up too. Both, on the field at the same time, should be a quality tandem.

If those two edge rushers can get the job done; then I really think our D will be good. Like playoff caliber. We do have playmakers (when healthy). Mayo, Spikes, Chung, McCourtey. These are quality playmakers. You just cannot expect them to do much when the QB has all day to throw. That's been the case in years past. Is it behind us? If Carter and Anderson - along with Big Vince - can make our 4 man rush legit. Then I really think you'll see a rapidly improved Patriots D. FS is still a hole. Lack of depth is still a concern. But the good heavily outweighs the bad if we have a pass rush.

So, do you think have a consistent pass rush with Anderson and Carter?

The only way these guys provide anything resembling a pass rush is if the opposing QB holds the ball as long as Sanchez did Sunday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results