PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caldwell cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing Caldwell could do was stay on the field. Time will tell whether the imported receivers will do the same.

Does releasing Caldwell mean that Asante has been activated and thus the roster exemption no longer exists or could Asante still practise without being activated? Someone help me with this.

Anyone else loving the irony here....

Tomase throws out his "suprise cut" BS... only to have no suprise cuts, so he has to lame-duck excuse his way out of it saying that it referred to Testeverde. Now BB cuts Caldewell. Maybe some of you are saying that isn't a suprise cut, but I find it more of a suprise that Vinny.

I just find it funny and ironic the way it all went down.

I'll never forget the violent hit Reche took against the Bengals. He was a good receiver for us and I hope he finds success with another team.

I liked Caldwell and appreciated what he did for the team in 2006 - much maligned despite being arguably the savior of the WR corps. Having said that...

To all the guys who kept insisting that he was way more valuable than Washington and that Washington's S/T play was non-existent and wouldn't put him over the top of Caldwell, you who kept willfully denying the FACT that Caldwell was consistently running with the 2's. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
There's about three hundred pages of crow to be eaten around here....none by me thankfully, though I was looking at some recipes. ;)

Best of luck to Reche. He was a tribute to hard work last year.

I liked Caldwell and appreciated what he did for the team in 2006 - much maligned despite being arguably the savior of the WR corps. Having said that...

To all the guys who kept insisting that he was way more valuable than Washington and that Washington's S/T play was non-existent and wouldn't put him over the top of Caldwell, you who kept willfully denying the FACT that Caldwell was consistently running with the 2's. Any thoughts?
BS. In the Carolina game Reche was playing with he first team just as much as Washington.

None the less he's been cut, I was wrong. I appreciate what he did for us in 06 and hope he finds a new team before the season starts.

Last edited:
I think no Pats fans should have any ill-will towards Reche. He brought a lot to the table last year and we would have been screwed if he didn't step up.

I do get somewhat worried having only 1 receiver on the team who has a year in the system though. I would have kept Reche purely because of experience.

I'm not shocked, but I'd like to thank Reche for a great season when we needed him and always giving 100%.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back, but we are receiver rich now.

I had the same thoughts. I'm not sure on the drop theory. It that was the case, why keep him this long? I think he just got outplayed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vinny back too.

BS. In the Carolina game Reche was playing with he first team just as much as Washington.

None the less he's been cut, I was wrong. I appreciate what he did for us in 06 and hope he finds a new team before the season starts.

The proof is in the pudding. Reche will be lucky to catch on with a pathetic WR squad like the Titans this year. But after that, I highly doubt he'll be in the league. Maybe he could stick around as the last WR on the depth chart for a few squads and eek out a salary, but that's about this ceiling.

Still not impressed by Washington. Did he play STs? I missed two preseason games. Is he a kick returner? Better him than Hobbs or Maroney getting hurt.

Reche helped solidify a very liquid wr corps last season. I wish him luck on his new team, whomever that may be.

I'm pretty much re-iterating what most people are saying, caldwell was a valuable guy last year. its just a pity he will be remembered for the catches he didn't make. best of luck reche.

Still not impressed by Washington. Did he play STs? I missed two preseason games. Is he a kick returner? Better him than Hobbs or Maroney getting hurt.

Thing is, it looks like Belichick IS impressed by Washington, at least slightly more than the haters on Patsfans.com. Washington FTR is a gunner on S/Ts.

I normally hate commenting on player moves by the Patriots because, unlike the Celtics, they actually know what they are doing most of the time, but this move makes no sense at all to me, unless it's been made out of spite. If Caldwell wasn't coming back, he should have been let loose a long time ago so he could catch on with another team.

I'm pretty much re-iterating what most people are saying, caldwell was a valuable guy last year. its just a pity he will be remembered for the catches he didn't make. best of luck reche.

I wish him great luck. The guy came in, did all that was asked of him and more, and the two drops people like to focus on were, in the end, of no consequence. It's a shame he got mauled in the EZ. That would've changed a BOATLOAD of circumstance and he woud be remembered in a more favorable and, IMO, appropriate, light.

The proof is in the pudding. Reche will be lucky to catch on with a pathetic WR squad like the Titans this year. But after that, I highly doubt he'll be in the league. Maybe he could stick around as the last WR on the depth chart for a few squads and eek out a salary, but that's about this ceiling.
Yep you're a pathetic Caldwell hater. You don't need to share that fact with us over and over and over again.

When did Washington run with the 1s? Other than at the same time that Caldwell did against Carolina?

Could you also please point me to the special teams plays that Washington made?

I re-watched the Carolina game and did not see him getting down and making plays on special teams...

Whether Washington or Caldwell is more valuable... I still feel that Caldwell brings more security to the WR corps than Washington. Washington is a guy who couldn't even beat out Chris Henry when Henry was out a couple years ago.... You'd think that he'd be able to hold off Henry and solidify the #3 spot behind Johnson and Houshmandzadeh.

Last edited:
Caldwell brings more security for sure but Washington showed me more athleticism. Assuming Gaffney is OK, I'll take the upside of Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft