PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caldwell cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto with the posts recognizing what a huge task he had to blend in quickly last season and become productive. He worked hard and did what was asked. He was a good Patriot. Good luck, Reche!

Thing is, it looks like Belichick IS impressed by Washington, at least slightly more than the haters on Patsfans.com.
What's with the hater stuff? Any way you can discuss players abilities without calling people who don't think exactly like you a hater?

Or do you consider yourself a hater because you don't like Caldwell.

Time to grow up, dude.

Reche Caldwell came in here last season and made the best of a bad situation, and in the process helped out team to an AFC Championship game. For that, I'll always remember him well. The great play he made in San Diego alone should ensure he is fondly recalled by many of us here.

I hope he is picked up quickly by a decent team who will give him a good shot at being a 3rd/4th/5th receiver.

I normally hate commenting on player moves by the Patriots because, unlike the Celtics, they actually know what they are doing most of the time, but this move makes no sense at all to me, unless it's been made out of spite. If Caldwell wasn't coming back, he should have been let loose a long time ago so he could catch on with another team.

They weren't sure of Moss's health, that's why they kept him. It's unfortunate, but it what WORLD would the Pats F.O. harbor spit toward Reche Caldwell? I wonder also if maybe they were trying to trade him "into a job," and just couldn't find any takers.

They weren't sure of Moss's health, that's why they kept him. It's unfortunate, but it what WORLD would the Pats F.O. harbor spit toward Reche Caldwell? I wonder also if maybe they were trying to trade him "into a job," and just couldn't find any takers.

Spite comes from many sources, but I wasn't claiming there was any. It's just the only thing that makes any kind of sense at all. They just hosed their #1 receiver from last year, and I can't find any reason for it that makes any real sense.

Last edited:
Spite comes from many sources, but I wasn't claiming there was any. It's just the only thing that makes any kind of sense at all. They just hosed their #1 receiver from last year, and I can't find any reason for it that makes any real sense.

I think they were trying to trade Caldwell or Washington and got no takers.

Reche will get picked right up, I predict.

Thanks Caldwell for coming in and contributing last year. You seemed to go full out all the time and I will never forget that vicious hit during the Bengal game.

With the way injuries happen, this might not be the last time we see Caldwell.

Caldwell did fine while he was a member of the New England Patriots last year. But, I'm sure there were a number of average wide receivers in the league that would have had the exact same production or better than Caldwell with Tom Brady throwing him the ball as a #1 target.

With that being said......I would have perfered Caldwell to Washington for at least the first few games of the season. Due only to some of the chemisty Caldwell and Tom share together that most likely isn't there yet with Washington.

But I do believe as the season progresses......Washington will ultimately be the better wideout. He simply has more talent and upside.

Last edited:
He can probably find a spot on some team.

I will have to admit, he did play his heart out... you could tell that.

I think the delay was owing to the team trying to get a conditional pick or something for him. Also maybe they wanted to see if they could get Bam and C.J. on the practice squad for reassurance.

I'm satisfied with the cut. We had to let someone go. We've got two other receivers on PUP. I think it is more important to have the roster spot. Washington doesn't cost us $1.9 to spend most of his time on the sidelines.

I liked Reche. Tough player, great attitude, good blocker. I'll miss seeing him on the field. He got cut from a team with some of the toughest competition at wideout. No shame in that.

Reche was the #1 receiver by default. There was no one else. Brady made him, not the other way around. Reche did a great job in the position he was put in. Placed in a situation that he had to compete for the job, others outshined him. I don't think it was spite, just a numbers game...

what a player did last year don't mean alot this year....

I just gave you two perfectly reasonable, albeit unfortunate, reasons Caldwell got cut at a crappy time for him. They were protecting the team in case of Moss's injury lingering and they were attempting to trade Reche and found no takers. These two reasons do not make "any kind of sense at all" to you?

Last edited:
I liked Caldwell. He was put in a role last year that he was not cut out for (he's defintely not a #1 receiver). He dropped a few balls, but it could be argued that the Patriots did as well in asking him to be a no. 1 when he clearly was not. He still did a lot of good things and some GREAT things (Chargers game).

I hope he finds success with another team.

Reche was the #1 receiver by default. There was no one else. Brady made him, not the other way around. Reche did a great job in the position he was put in. Placed in a situation that he had to compete for the job, others outshined him. I don't think it was spite, just a numbers game...

what a player did last year don't mean alot this year....

Come on, now. They brought in half the planet to 'compete' for spots. If they were going to dump their #1 from last season, the very least they should have done for him was to do it early enough that he could get into a camp. This move was bush league considering Caldwell busted his ass for this team last year and BB reportedly told him he'd be back.

Reche Caldwell came in here last season and made the best of a bad situation, and in the process helped out team to an AFC Championship game. For that, I'll always remember him well. The great play he made in San Diego alone should ensure he is fondly recalled by many of us here.

I hope he is picked up quickly by a decent team who will give him a good shot at being a 3rd/4th/5th receiver.

Well said...

Best of Luck Reche.

Good luck to Reche, he came in to be a #2 or 3 circumstances forced him into the #1 role. He gave hsi best effort every game.

I can't understand the anger towards the guy.

Come on, now. They brought in half the planet to 'compete' for spots. If they were going to dump their #1 from last season, the very least they should have done for him was to do it early enough that he could get into a camp. This move was bush league considering Caldwell busted his ass for this team last year and BB reportedly told him he'd be back.

How is this a bush league move by the Pats? They gave him every chance to earn a roster spot. They brought in a bunch of guys to compete at WR. Should they not evaluate players throughout camp and just cut guys right away?

Reche had a chance to make the team but he couldn't beat out Washington or Gaffney. The Pats probably hadn't made up their mind as to what WRs to keep until this week. You can't fault them for that. They are running a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes