PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

C.J. Spiller vs. Jahvid Best, who do you take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spiller is the top all around RB on my board and easily worth a first round grade. However Spiller is not the type of back to pound the rock up the gut 25 times a game and that is what I think we desperately need. But when teamed with a Morris or Taylor, Spiller seems like the perfect compliment, especially when you throw in the extra field position he gives you on kickoffs and the receiving abilities. Bottom line if he fell to the Patriots at #22, I would take him in a heartbeat.

Best is at best a third down back, like Faulk only quicker and faster. Since he is very weak in pass protection, I can't see BB taking him.

Dwyer ran out of that funky offense and had the tremendous advantage of having a running QB on the side of him. It seems to me that the bulk of the damage Dwyer did was on the outside. I struggle to get a grasp of what he can and can not do. My personal jury is out on him for now.

The best inside runner in this draft class is Mathews, if only because of his tremendous balance. However I also have questions about his ability to learn to pass protect. As a second round choice, he would bring exceptional value.

That leaves Dixon and Gerhart as the two guys that I think fit the bill as far as a tough inside runner that the Patriots desperately need. Gerhart is faster and better at picking up blitzers but Dixon is a much harder inside runner and tough to bring down. I would overdraft either Gerhart in the second round, provided the knee is sound. But getting Dixon will be tough since we do not have a third rounder, thanks to that terrible trade for worthless Burgess.

Blount is not on my draft board.

Neither. Both won't be able to handle the NFL load and be able the carry the ball alot during a game. They will be both reggie bush like.

C.J Spiller: 5'11 195 pounds
Jahvid Best: 5'10 199 pounds
------------------------------------
Laurence Maroney: 5'11 220 pounds

If Maroney has trouble carrying the load, the above two will. They look like scat backs to me.
------------------------------------
The only NFL back that carries the ball that much and has a small build in Chris Johnson at 5'11 200 pounds. The rest have more weight/build. Spiller could be the next Johnson, but seems too risky.
----------------------------------
These two backs I would consider, I know they can be the main back in the NFL.

Toby Gerhart: 6' 232 pounds. Had 39 carries in a game!
Ben Tate: 5'11 218. Solid all around runner.
---------------------------------------------
I give Spiller a 2nd round grade, and Best a 3rd round grade. While I give Gerhart and Tate 1st round grades. I think they'll be the best backs from this draft.

I think both are enormously overrated.

---------------------------------------------
I give Spiller a 2nd round grade, and Best a 3rd round grade. While I give Gerhart and Tate 1st round grades. I think they'll be the best backs from this draft.

If you are right, then every one else who makes a living scouting and ranking the prospects is wrong.

If you are right, then every one else who makes a living scouting and ranking the prospects is wrong.

It's all opinion,no rankings is fact, it's guessing based on research. Experts get more guesses right than the normal fan,like me, making them experts.

I just don't see Spiller/Best being everydown backs.

It's all opinion,no rankings is fact, it's guessing based on research. Experts get more guesses right than the normal fan,like me, making them experts.

I just don't see Spiller/Best being everydown backs.

Every down backs are not that important in today's NFL. The Pats have several serviceable RBs. What they need is a guy who's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. And they also need an eventual replacement for Faulk.

Best would be my choice as the better player, but his injury history is definitely a concern and the only reason he slips out of the 1st round (if he does). I would consider moving up for him in the 2nd and definitely grab him at 44. Spiller, IMO, is overrated.

Spiller would be a good value in the second round, although I don't see him lasting that long since this is not a strong running back class and he is probably the best of the lot.

I would take Dexter McCluster over both of them.

McCluster is a better open field runner, better returner, catches the ball like a WR, and IMO has better field vision. He won't be an everydown grind it out back, but in our system where we employ the shotgun over 50% of the time, McCluster will be a better fit for for us.

I would take Dexter McCluster over both of them.

McCluster is a better open field runner, better returner, catches the ball like a WR, and IMO has better field vision. He won't be an everydown grind it out back, but in our system where we employ the shotgun over 50% of the time, McCluster will be a better fit for for us.

Wow! Does he also slice bread and invent the internet? Sign me up!! :D

Besides the fact that he's only 5'8 and 170 lbs dripping wet... and ran one of the slowest 40 times of any RB at the combine... I've got no concerns at all. NONE!! I'm ABSOLUTELY SOLD! Draft him at 22! McCluster for PRESIDENT!

Last edited:
Best is underrated. If not for the injury, he'd be a top 20 pick.

Wow! Does he also slice bread and invent the internet? Sign me up!! :D

Besides the fact that he's only 5'8 and 170 lbs dripping wet... and ran one of the slowest 40 times of any RB at the combine... I've got no concerns at all. NONE!! I'm ABSOLUTELY SOLD! Draft him at 22! McCluster for P RESIDENT!

I would use a second round pick. As far as his weight and time, I prefer using my eyes to predict how good he could be. I did state that he wouldn't be a grind it out RB and would play out of the shotgun, but I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

I would use a second round pick. As far as his weight and time, I prefer using my eyes to predict how good he could be. I did state that he wouldn't be a grind it out RB and would play out of the shotgun, but I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Oh yes, because playing out of the Shotgun makes you magically immune to big angry defenders who want to take you down hard to the turf! Even Reggie Bush who often plays split out wide is 6' 200 lbs. He's got a solid 30 lbs of muscle and 4" of height on Dexter "the Waif" McCluster.

Last edited:
Oh yes, because playing out of the Shotgun makes you magically immune to big angry defenders who want to take you down hard to the turf! Even Reggie Bush who often plays split out wide is 6' 200 lbs. He's got a solid 30 lbs of muscle and 4" of height on Dexter "the Waif" McCluster.

Oh yes, because the SEC only consisted of happy nice defenders hopping around gleefully playing two hand touch. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll leave this debate because your responses are lacking any substance beyond "hey, he's small, there's no way he can play in the NFL." Look at who he played against and the numbers he put up.

Oh yes, because the SEC only consisted of happy nice defenders hopping around gleefully playing two hand touch. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll leave this debate because your responses are lacking any substance beyond "hey, he's small, there's no way he can play in the NFL." Look at who he played against and the numbers he put up.

McCluster has completed been built up by the draftniks. His numbers totally do not back up the hype. Everybody is saying that he'll help in the return game, but reality he has a total of 30 Kick Returns of any kind over his 4 year career.

As a RB, the guy did practically nothing until the last 5 games of his senior season. People compare him to Sproles, but Sproles was an absolute star RB for 3 seasons at Kansas St.

McCluster has completed been built up by the draftniks.

Every prospect is built up by draftniks to some degree.

His numbers totally do not back up the hype.

When you run through Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee's defense like he did, you deserve the hype. Those teams are littered with NFL prospects on the defensive side of the ball yet he made them look foolish. He even made Berry look dumb on some runs he had against Tennessee.

Everybody is saying that he'll help in the return game, but reality he has a total of 30 Kick Returns of any kind over his 4 year career.

I'm projecting how his open field running ability will translate in the NFL level. There's been players that haven't done a lot of kick returns in college that have been successful in the NFL. Josh Cribbs and Percy Harvin come to mind.

As a RB, the guy did practically nothing until the last 5 games of his senior season. People compare him to Sproles, but Sproles was an absolute star RB for 3 seasons at Kansas St.

I don't know why he wasn't utilized as much as he should have been, but you can see that when he got carries/touches, he produced. Also bear in mind that he caught 44 passes last year as well as his junior year. That's more than some WRs get per year in college.

Like I said, in our system, he would be great. How often did we see Sammy Morris line up wide with a LB covering him or Kevin Faulk in motion with a LB trying to cover him. Imagine the mismatch this guy would create if he has a LB trying to cover him.

spiller bc he's bigger, both are exciting but we wont be taking either unless they are still around in the late 2nd

I'm projecting how his open field running ability will translate in the NFL level. There's been players that haven't done a lot of kick returns in college that have been successful in the NFL. Josh Cribbs and Percy Harvin come to mind.

Josh Cribbs played QB in college. That's why he didn't return kicks. Oh, and he was undrafted, so it's not like anybody projected him to be a great kick returner. As for Harvin, he was a great punt returned in HS, but not having done it in college, opinions were actually mixed on whether he would be able to do it as a pro. Regardless, Harvin was drafted as a WR, not kick returner.

I don't know why he wasn't utilized as much as he should have been, but you can see that when he got carries/touches, he produced. Also bear in mind that he caught 44 passes last year as well as his junior year. That's more than some WRs get per year in college.

Like I said, in our system, he would be great. How often did we see Sammy Morris line up wide with a LB covering him or Kevin Faulk in motion with a LB trying to cover him. Imagine the mismatch this guy would create if he has a LB trying to cover him.

As far as I'm concerned, the guy would be worth a shot in the 4th-5th round as a WR/KR type. The example you gave with Morris and Faulk works just the same in reverse. How would you feel if McCluster was lined up in the backfield, all 170 lbs of him, having to protect Brady from blitzing Al Harris or Ray Lewis? McCluster's speed/quickness didn't really show that well at the combine, so I think whatever he lacks in size, he doesn't make up for in quickness. Again, comparing him to Sproles:

Sproles coming out of college:
5'6", 181 lbs, 4.49 40, 3.96 20 shuffle.

McCluster:
5'9", 172 lbs, 4.58 40, 4.06 20 shuffle

I don't think there is any comparison. Sproles is stalkier, stronger, faster, and shiftier. Sproles is also a much more prolific college RB. Yet Sproles was drafted in the 4thr round, was nothing more than a returner in his first year, and even last year he was on the field for less than 40% of the snaps.

As far as I'm concerned, the guy would be worth a shot in the 4th-5th round as a WR/KR type. The example you gave with Morris and Faulk works just the same in reverse. How would you feel if McCluster was lined up in the backfield, all 170 lbs of him, having to protect Brady from blitzing Al Harris or Ray Lewis? McCluster's speed/quickness didn't really show that well at the combine, so I think whatever he lacks in size, he doesn't make up for in quickness. Again, comparing him to Sproles:

Sproles coming out of college:
5'6", 181 lbs, 4.49 40, 3.96 20 shuffle.

McCluster:
5'9", 172 lbs, 4.58 40, 4.06 20 shuffle

I don't think there is any comparison. Sproles is stalkier, stronger, faster, and shiftier. Sproles is also a much more prolific college RB. Yet Sproles was drafted in the 4thr round, was nothing more than a returner in his first year, and even last year he was on the field for less than 40% of the snaps.

I agree. I don't see what all the hype is with McCluster. Sproles had more meat on his bones, was FASTER clocked, and MORE productive in college, and yet had way more doubters. He wasn't taken until round 4 of the draft.

If we gambled on McCluster in round 4, I wouldn't be upset. But he's got too many question marks to consider with a 2nd round pick. I find it quite peculiar that the McCluster boosters think that he will be a better fit for the Pats and don't consider the fact that he is 30 lbs LIGHTER than either Spiller or Best, had less production, and was timed SLOWER than either of them. It just doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes