PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

C.J. Spiller vs. Jahvid Best, who do you take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
First off,
I just got done watching film on these 2 and here is my take based on what I saw.

Both have electric speed in the open field. I think Best is quicker, meaning he gets to top speed faster and maintains his speed even when he has to cut. I was suprised at how well Spiller ran inside. Both seem to catch the ball out of the backfield well. Spiller showed decent pass block ability, where as I did not see Best even attempt a pass block. Both seem to have good vision, I would give the edge to Spiller on the inside, but Best in the open field. I saw Spiller run into tackles or his own guys far too much in the open field. I think Spiller and Best are both great in the return game, slight edge to Spiller only because I saw more of it from him.

For me, if Best checks out medically, I think his value as a trade up in the 2nd would be better than Spiller who will be a trade up in the 1st. Thoughts?

as far as player vs player its spiller
but i wouldnt want to trade up for either

Spiller to Oakland

Big Al loves his 40 time:)

I mean 40 time in general for anybody:bricks: That is all he looks for:D

Spiller is the better all around player. But I like Best as well. If Spiller is at 22, I'd take him barring a better defensive player available. No move ups. I'd take Spiller in round 1 or Best in round 2. There are other good RBs available in this draft. So I don't think you have to move up for anyone.

Last edited:
To answer the OP's question
"I would rather trade up in the second for Best than trade up in the first for Spiller"
========================

As of right now I don't think either is any better. Why spend a 1st on Spiller if one can spend a 2nd on Best?

Spiller, could be the next chris johnson, or the next reggie bush, i would not trade up to get. him

Jahvid Best, is just a 3rd down back. i don't like him i would not use a first or a 2th on a RB unless it's Ryan Mathews, or Jonathan Dwyer,

but i would also be happy with LeGarrette Blount, in the 4th round a 6foot 238lbs RB with some speed him and maroney, geting 10 to 15 att each would not be bad.

Spiller, could be the next chris johnson, or the next reggie bush, i would not trade up to get. him

Jahvid Best, is just a 3rd down back. i don't like him i would not use a first or a 2th on a RB unless it's Ryan Mathews, or Jonathan Dwyer,

but i would also be happy with LeGarrette Blount, in the 4th round a 6foot 238lbs RB with some speed him and maroney, geting 10 to 15 att each would not be bad.

except blount's a punk.

to the original question, give me spiller.

Give me Spiller any day of the week. He has the ability to run with power whereas Best does not.

So I'm the only one who thinks Best is the more natural runner, has better vision, feels out holes more quickly, has more patience behind his blockers, and will translate more readily to the pro level? Huh. Guess we'll find out by the end of the year. I love draft predictions--you get to make bold statements and get away with them because you can't be wrong or right for years, so no one remembers! :cool:

When it comes to strictly running i dont think it is even close. Best is WAAAAy better than spiller. Occasionally our oline doesn't hold up and allows backfield penetration, and I think spiller would be dropped for a loss, but best with his crazy acceleration would blow past them and make them pay for their overaggressiveness. There is a reason why best has a better ypc average. Unlike best, most of spiller's long runs come from him bouncing it outside and that is not so easy at the professional level. You may argue that spiller is a better overall player and that may be true but taking him over best would negate the fact that we just drafted Tate(one of the best college returners) to handle returns.

I'd be happy with either of them. Spiller more as a receiving RB/WR/Slot or in motion kind of receiver with great versatility from the RB position. I can also see Spiller as a pure WR. Best more as a running back but who can also make plays receiving.

If Spiller is still there at 22, I expect BB to pull all stops to trade his rights for multiple picks to some other team, and failing that, BB will happily take him. Spiller is a threat every time he touches the ball.

Head to head, I'd give the edge to Spiller, but I'd hope we draft Best in the second round and use that first round pick on defense. I just feel there are some bigger needs there than at RB.

I just watched 30mins of video for each of them to compare more accurately and all I can say is WOW!

Both are terrific but as I said above, Spiller would be my choice. He seems quicker making his cuts and recovers his balance and speed faster than Best. Some of Spiller's best performances came against really good teams. He has an uncanny ability to stop/start/dodge and accelerate to make sure tacklers whiff.

Either would be a huge upgrade.

Spiller I'm not the Best fan

So I'm the only one who thinks Best is the more natural runner, has better vision, feels out holes more quickly, has more patience behind his blockers, and will translate more readily to the pro level? Huh. Guess we'll find out by the end of the year. I love draft predictions--you get to make bold statements and get away with them because you can't be wrong or right for years, so no one remembers! :cool:

I'm actually right there with you buddy. I think the guy has a "feel" of the field, and AMAZING balance.

I'll take Spiller anyday in terms of player vs player.

But in terms of trading up for Spiller in the first vs taking Best in the 2nd, I'd agree that Best in the 2nd is the better route because there's not that much drop off.

Reamer,
I definetely saw some of the things that you posted about Best. I agree, he shoots through that hole like he was shot out of a cannon and seems to use his open field blockers better. My worry would be his inside rushing game. Spiller seems to do that a lot more than Best, which you need if he is going to be an everydown back.

Spiller was nagged by turf toe problems his senior year so you only take him if you have a grass playing surface. It would be insane to do otherwise but ....

I'm in this camp too. He also cuts/jukes a lot better than Spiller does.

BTW I know it's obvious given the above but my choice is Best. When given the fact that we could probably get Best in the 2nd, that just reinforces my choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes