PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who don't you want at 14?

Username

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Allowing for the assumption that we will in all likelihood trade out of 14, who are the highly touted 1st round graded players that could be available at 14 but you don't want to see us pick?

For me it is:

QB's Will Levis & Anthony Richardson. Too much bust potential, I just don't think either one of them, but Levis in particular, will ever put it all together

Edge: Lukas Van Ness. He’s got create-a-player build and physical traits. But there’s definitely a lack of instincts/play recognition and he has zero pass rush moves outside of a bull rush.

Last edited:
I’m prepared for anything at this point. In light of Strange being much higher on their board than I expected AND with them coaching the shrine bowl this year, I’m steeled for any surprises.

I think.:rofl:

• Kicker or punter
• Anyone whom they mention prominently as a "potential contributor for special teams," which should be a bonus and not a feature
• Anyone named "Strange" or a name that is a layup for a @captain stone, he needs to put the work in for those
• Anyone with an injury history comparable to Derek Rivers, Shawn Crable, Andy Katzenmoyer, or Hart Lee Dykes
• Any defensive back from Alabama
• Any tackle (offensive or defensive) with "T-Rex arms"
• Any WR weighing less than 175 pounds or whose calves have a circumference of less than 7 inches
• Any TE whose blocking ability isn't mentioned
• Any IOL whose nickname could be "Thanks Dad!"

Last edited:
I want a Franchise QB or a trade down.

The draft is deep at wr in the middle rounds
Deep at tight end
Deep at defensive back
Deep at d line

I feel the slimmest positrons are safety and cover linebacker.
We are more than one big player away to win the East so I would
Prefer to trade down and pick up 2 early mid round picks or more in return.

Receiver because offense is for chicks and kids :rofl:

In order of preference (7 is the one I don't want)
1. Top 3 tackle
2. Top 2 corner
3. Trade back to pick the last top 4 receiver remaining
4. Joey Porter Jr.
5. Top 4 receiver
6. Edge
7. Tight end

Last edited:
I have gone from Witherspoon or Porter to
JSN or Flowers with a slight trade down
But I want Broderick Jones. So athletic with a high ceiling and played against Top ACC talent every week and shined.
Problem is you may have to move up a bit to get him.

Christian Gonzalez. He would be the best Patriot draft pick at CB since Ty Law. Or maybe even Michael Haynes for us old-timers.

If he’s there at 14, which is a hope and a prayer at this point, you DO NOT trade down.

Oops. I didn’t see the adverb contraction “n’t.”

And I thought I was smart. Sorry.

I think I'm out on WRs at #14. The only one I'd consider is JSN, and I'm not sure he's the kind of dynamic playmaker that they need.

The only OTs I'd take at #14 are Johnson and Jones. I think there's too much RT/OG risk in anyone else.

The only CBs I'd take at #14 are Gonzalez and Witherspoon.

I could maybe be talked into an Edge rusher at #14.

I might be OK with Brian Branch at #14, as well.

Beyond that, I think I'd be looking to trade down.

I think I'm out on WRs at #14. The only one I'd consider is JSN, and I'm not sure he's the kind of dynamic playmaker that they need.

The only OTs I'd take at #14 are Johnson and Jones. I think there's too much RT/OG risk in anyone else.

The only CBs I'd take at #14 are Gonzalez and Witherspoon.

I could maybe be talked into an Edge rusher at #14.

I might be OK with Brian Branch at #14, as well.

Beyond that, I think I'd be looking to trade down.
Given the Jim Nagy tweet this morning saying most NFL teams think this is a weak top-end WR class, what if we don’t get any trade partners? What if no one is willing to even give up a 7th to move up? If we’re forced to actually make a selection at 14, who do we take?

I’m wondering about the upside a guy like Lukas Van Ness could have, given his size and the fact that he won’t be turning 22 until 2 weeks before training camp opens? The Pats traded up to 21 for Daniel Graham and took Benjamin Watson with pick 32, thinking both of them had a chance to be a complete tight end (both turned out not to for different reasons, but both were very good at what they could do). Would they take another swing with Darnell Washington? Go all-in ground-and-pound with Bijan Robinson, using pony sets with him, Mondre, HH, Gesicki and JuJu while hoping our new OL coach can get the line to bully in the ground game and a real OC who can turn that into an opportunistic passing game?

I'm starting to go off Gonzalez just a little bit.

I rewatched some of his tape after listening to Sam Monson's concern's about him (Monson has him ranked like 7th CB or something), and although I think Monson was hyperbolic he definitely had a point about his instincts and reactions. Again, it is a bit overstated by Monson, but there is an element of truth to it, it does show up on tape.

Discussion on Gonzalez starts at 4:15ish

Christian Gonzalez. He would be the best Patriot draft pick at CB since Ty Law. Or maybe even Michael Haynes for us old-timers.

If he’s there at 14, which is a hope and a prayer at this point, you DO NOT trade down.

Oops. I didn’t see the adverb contraction “n’t.”

And I thought I was smart. Sorry.
We're in the same boat, I missed the contraction in the first post too!

I could give a shorter answer if the question were Whom DO you want at #14:

1) Paris Johnson/Broderick Jones

2) Gonzo/Witherspoon

JSN & Porter have now been moved to the After a Small Trade-Down room.

But in the spirit of the OP... Unless he's still available at #46, then I want Nothing to do with Brian Branch with our first pick, wherever it is.... or any other Alabama Safety in ANY round... Just Say NO in the 1st round to ANY QB, or RB, or Right Tackle, or Guard, or any small Edge Defender, or Strong Safety, or Defensive Tackle Not named Mazi Smith, or any TE Not named Kincaid or Washington.

I'm starting to go off Gonzalez just a little bit.

I rewatched some of his tape after listening to Sam Monson's concern's about him (Monson has him ranked like 7th CB or something), and although I think Monson was hyperbolic he definitely had a point about his instincts and reactions. Again, it is a bit overstated by Monson, but there is an element of truth to it, it does show up on tape.

Discussion on Gonzalez starts at 4:15ish

I'm with you. Gonzales looks to me like a wonderful athlete but not a football player. He plays soft and I don't like that. I want missiles at every position in the secondary.

My favorite tackle is Harrison. Brodrick Jones and Paris Johnson have more upside but they also have more downside IMO. Harrison should be there at 25, My hope is Levis falls and DC moves up and then one more trade down to the mid 20s before 27 as the Bills may be interested in him over Wright.

OT Harrison and a late pick (trevor Reid or Witt)
TE Kraft and Kemari Averett Late
CB Rush and Blackmon Late
WR Downs and Hutchinson. (this is a stretch that Downs falls to the mid 40s though Hutch may be there at 117
At 76 I want Tippman or Zavala later

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back