PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler or Arrington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the bigger issue is coverage in the middle of the field....if that was tightened up, I'd be less worried about how to help/hide a mediocre corner.

Arrington, Butler, or Wilhite? It would not surprise me at all if the Patriots expended a 2011 draft pick on a cornerback.

You can't put all of that on either Arrington or Butler since I remember a couple times when Wayne lined up in the slot and caught decent passes over the middle.

Agreed, which is why I started my post with "We played a lot of zone so it's hard to compare the two guys...". But Arrington definitely missed a tackle on Wayne that led to a big play, and his overall play got him benched.

As for Butler, he was awful the first two games of the season. But looking back, I don't think it was fair to pile onto Butler. Yes, Ochocinco had a HUGE game with Butler primarily covering him in week 1. But we were up 24-3 at the end of the first half, and Ocho only had 2 catches for 23 yards. He piled up 10 catches for 136 yards and a TD in garbage time.

He obviously struggled against the Jets, but McCourty has also struggled at times and had some really poor games.

I think short-term, Arrington has proven to be a much more consistent option. But long-term, Butler could be the more dynamic option.

Was that the play where Butler still didn't turn back for the ball?

The INC had more to do with Mannings pass being off target. Butler got lucky on that one.

No that was the one where Wayne dived for and was catching the ball with his extended arms, and and Butler grabbed his arm and pulled the ball loose as Wayne skidded on the turf not maintaining possession.

After the play they needed to call a T.O. so that Wayne would be allowed back on the field for the next play.

Arrington is heady and tough; but he can't cover. He recovers well after the ball is caught, and makes the tackle. The only problem is that the ball was caught first. Butler is a much more athletic corner,and can stay with a WR. He just needs to tackle well after giving up a reception.

Arrington, Butler, or Wilhite? It would not surprise me at all if the Patriots expended a 2011 draft pick on a cornerback.

Agreed

Plus Bodden is no spring chicken.

Agreed, which is why I started my post with "We played a lot of zone so it's hard to compare the two guys...". But Arrington definitely missed a tackle on Wayne that led to a big play, and his overall play got him benched.

As for Butler, he was awful the first two games of the season. But looking back, I don't think it was fair to pile onto Butler. Yes, Ochocinco had a HUGE game with Butler primarily covering him in week 1. But we were up 24-3 at the end of the first half, and Ocho only had 2 catches for 23 yards. He piled up 10 catches for 136 yards and a TD in garbage time.

He obviously struggled against the Jets, but McCourty has also struggled at times and had some really poor games.

I think short-term, Arrington has proven to be a much more consistent option. But long-term, Butler could be the more dynamic option.

Mcourty is going to be a great Corner in the league. You can see it in his text book coverage at times and heads up plays.

I dont see the same in Butler at all and really dont get why folks think his future is so bright with this ball club. In his 2nd season Butler is struggling for playing time. When Bodden returns, he and Mcourty will be the starting duo.

First off, your going to have to stack Butler on top of Arrington to Cover Calvin Johnson. Butler has impressed me with his tackling, I think some time on the bench showed him that he need to prepare more and maybe that has sunk in. Butler clearly is more athetically gifted than Arrington, but Arrington has been more than solid. Imagine if Bodden wasn't hurt? I know I railed against the McCourty pick, but boy was I wrong, the Pats would be screwed without him this year, and he is well on his way.

Did y'all listen to BB on SOund effects? He had a gameplan to confuse Peyton and it worked, all three int were because Manning made the wrong read, so if they can confuse Peyton, I feel pretty good about their chances against Hill.

Arrington starts, Butler as the nickel

Last edited:
The reality is that one of the best defensive coaches ever should have relatively little trouble confusing the lions and their one dimensional offense.

The nickel will be our formation almost always so both Arrington and Butler will be on the field. It matters little who is labeled the "starter". I wouldn't be surprised to see us start in the nickel.

With regard to Johnson, he is thir #1 threat, their only real threat. Belichick's philosphy has always been to take away one threat. I expect Johnson to be bumped at the line and covered my many after that, much as Moss was in the Minny game.

[/B]
Mcourty is going to be a great Corner in the league. You can see it in his text book coverage at times and heads up plays.

I dont see the same in Butler at all and really dont get why folks think his future is so bright with this ball club. In his 2nd season Butler is struggling for playing time. When Bodden returns, he and Mcourty will be the starting duo.

A lot of second-year corners (and players at all positions for that matter) struggle for playing time.

Butler has shown flashes of great talent last season, but has been very inconsistent and played very poorly so far this season. But he's consistently around the ball, in tight coverage. He just fails to either turn around in time or make a play on the ball.

McCourty did that early on but picked things up much quicker. But BB has also called McCourty one of the smartest players he's ever coached, so I don't think it's fair to compare the two.

Butler may turn out to be crap, not denying that. But I think it's still way too early to pass judgment. He's been working hard and BB has started to give him some playing time again, and we'll see if he's overtaken Arrington today.

I don't see this as a major issue. We need production from both Butler and Arrington going forward as corners and nickel back.

Disagree. Wilhite is the nickel corner, while Sanders is more often than not (especially in Wilhite's absence) the extra defensive back. While both players could see the field at the same time today, going forward, they will likely be splitting time at that one position.

Arrington has not played well at all today; hence, this thread, I guess. I say stay with Arrington since he's been decent all year. He isn't spectacular, but he's marginally better than Butler at this point. I've read that Butler is still struggling somewhat in practices, as he's just not able to apply what he's learning in film study and position drills.

Last edited:
A lot of second-year corners (and players at all positions for that matter) struggle for playing time.

Butler has shown flashes of great talent last season, but has been very inconsistent and played very poorly so far this season. But he's consistently around the ball, in tight coverage. He just fails to either turn around in time or make a play on the ball.

McCourty did that early on but picked things up much quicker. But BB has also called McCourty one of the smartest players he's ever coached, so I don't think it's fair to compare the two.

Butler may turn out to be crap, not denying that. But I think it's still way too early to pass judgment. He's been working hard and BB has started to give him some playing time again, and we'll see if he's overtaken Arrington today.

Sorry, 1st round picks shouldnt be riding the pine year 2 unless your name is Vernon Gholston. Butlers biggest problem is that he does not look back for the ball which is mind boggling for someone playing CB.

Mcourty is light years ahead in that category.

Sorry, 1st round picks shouldnt be riding the pine year 2 unless your name is Vernon Gholston. Butlers biggest problem is that he does not look back for the ball which is mind boggling for someone playing CB.

Mcourty is light years ahead in that category.

Not to nitpick, but Butler wasn't a first rounder. He was the third 2nd-round pick we made in the 2009 draft. And plenty of second-year DBs struggle. If you watched the game today, you saw a guy picked higher than Butler, Alphonso Smith, get torched. But Smith gets plenty of PT on a bad team like Detroit, while Butler has to earn his time on a team with Super Bowl hopes.

McCourty is light years ahead, but there's no way he should be seen as the typical rookie corner. He's been phenomenal in so many different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft