PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi's thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you get that Bryant is too slow and problematic?? The only problem with Dez Bryant is that he was afraid of the NCAA scum bags not understanding about the situation with Deion Sanders and so he lied to them. That's it. As for "being slow" he ran between a 4.49 and 4.62 depending on who you listened to. That is plenty fast enough. Especially when you consider he plays faster than he appears in full gear.

Where do you get that Spiller and Best are too light? If by Hernandez, you mean the TE, he's never been mentioned as a 1st round prospect that I've heard, and Tate is hardly "too short".

Seriously, unless you know for a fact about these things, you're as clueless as the rest of us. And considering the players that BB has drafted for certain positions, one can hardly make the comments you've made that I've addressed.

Time and again people need to be reminded that previous drafting does not necessarily set the rules for future drafting. If it did, the Pats would never have drafted Vince Wilfork (underclassmen), Logan Mankins (interior lineman) or a bunch of others.

Right. I should have specified my source.

Move the Sticks - this guys was a scout for Balt and Cleveland under Romeo. He has a bunch of podcasts on his site, one of which discusses the "clean" measurables that scouts look for by position. Considering he worked for 34 teams - one of which was Crennell's - and he went over the 34 D specifically, I'm guessing that's as close as we're going to get to the real world guidelines.

So what he says is - WRs should run 4.5 or lower. RBs should be 5'1005" and 215 lbs. So Spiller and Best would be considered 3rd down backs - which I'm not sure BB would draft in the 1st. Hernandez is 6'203" - which is 5/8 inches short of "clean". Golden Tate is 6 inches short of "clean" at 5'1002".

Obviously I think there are exceptions. Vince never ran the 5.1 he said NTs are expected to run. Mayo was ever so slightly undersized. Etc. But that's what I'm going on.

PS - Mayock also said Bryant needed to run under 4.5. So obviously these guys are working off the same set of parameters.

Last edited:
Interesting choice of words implying Bryant was correct to lie because the NCAA are scumbags.

The NCAA people go out of their way to intimidate these kids. It's ridiculous. And yes, they people who serve on that committee are self-serving scumbags.. just like 99.9% of politicians.

I didn't IMPLY anything. If you took there to be an implication, then you are making assumptions.

Guessing who the Patriots will pick is bad business

Wise words from Bru ;)

Their building for the future philosophy was never more clear when they traded Seymour. That compromised their short term success for their long term future.

If Moss goes down, they're in big trouble, especially in the beginning of the year, because Wes Welker is in danger of missing the start of the season. I believe another position of need that they must address in the draft is TE.

Right. I should have specified my source.

Move the Sticks - this guys was a scout for Balt and Cleveland under Romeo. He has a bunch of podcasts on his site, one of which discusses the "clean" measurables that scouts look for by position. Considering he worked for 34 teams - one of which was Crennell's - and he went over the 34 D specifically, I'm guessing that's as close as we're going to get to the real world measurables.

So what he says is - WRs should run 4.5 or lower. RBs should be 5'1005" and 215 lbs. So Spiller and Best would be considered 3rd down backs - which I'm not sure BB would draft in the 1st. Hernandez is 6'203" - which is 5/8 inches short of "clean". Golden Tate is 6 inches short of "clean" at 5'1002".

Obviously I think there are exceptions. Vince never ran the 5.1 he said NTs are expected to run. Mayo was ever so slightly undersized. Etc. But that's what I'm going on.

By his standards, Jerry Rice wouldn't have been "CLEAN". Rice ran a 4.6 in his 40 and at just under 6'2, he'd have been too short..

MJD wouldn't be "clean" because he doesn't fit those measurables you mentioned..

Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne wouldn't have been "clean" either. I think you'd find that 90% of the starting WRs in the league wouldn't be "clean". Including Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Andre Johnson and Michael Crabtree.

Every team has different standards for their positions. Making the assumption that a guy who drafted for the 3-4 D in Baltimore brought the same information with him to Cleveland is a fallacy on your part.

Also, it's well known that BB looks for 6'4 250-270 for his OLBs and 6'1 240-260 for his ILBs. Has he made exceptions? Yep.. Just like he made exceptions to his rule about not drafting underclassmen. To not talking an interior offensive linemen in the 1st round. To not drafting a RB in the first round.

The Pats sucked last year

Based on previous years they just weren't great. They need help everywhere and could have taken care of some of that in FA

Yeah, they need help everywhere. Like at the critical positions like QB, OT, WR, NT, DE, ILB, S, CB. Oh wait! They have the best QB in the game, a WR who had an off year and caughts 12 TD's, 2 very good LT's, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, the Pats do need to draft well. Every team who has hopes of climbing to the top (or staying there as in the Pats case) needs to draft well and make good FA signings. Pats are pretty much looking for upgrades at a few areas but I don't feel they have any huge holes.

For example, Many think they need a pass ruch. I feel they could upgrade by drafting and developing young players but Burgess could improve on last year and become a solid starter and, who knows, maybe Woods or Crable will develop. I understand these can't necessarily be counted on but why does anyone think another rookie is any guarantee.

Thank God we have the game's best owner, coach and QB.

By his standards, Jerry Rice wouldn't have been "CLEAN". Rice ran a 4.6 in his 40 and at just under 6'2, he'd have been too short..

MJD wouldn't be "clean" because he doesn't fit those measurables you mentioned..

Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne wouldn't have been "clean" either. I think you'd find that 90% of the starting WRs in the league wouldn't be "clean". Including Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Andre Johnson and Michael Crabtree.

Every team has different standards for their positions. Making the assumption that a guy who drafted for the 3-4 D in Baltimore brought the same information with him to Cleveland is a fallacy on your part.

Also, it's well known that BB looks for 6'4 250-270 for his OLBs and 6'1 240-260 for his ILBs. Has he made exceptions? Yep.. Just like he made exceptions to his rule about not drafting underclassmen. To not talking an interior offensive linemen in the 1st round. To not drafting a RB in the first round.

My God, you really like to think you're smarter than everyone else, don't you. How is it "well known" what BB likes in his OLBs and ILBs. And why would it be "fallacy" on my part to think that measurable guidelines from 2 NFL teams - including one head coached by Romeo Crennell - are similar to what the Patriots use. Why would your unqualified opinion carry more weight?

With regard to some of your examples, yes there are plenty of players who aren't "clean" but are still great. Rice is a great example, but remember he came into the league 25 years ago. I'm sure the league average was a little slower than it is today. And many of those guys actually support my theory: Crabtree never ran the 40 - which is why the Raiders didn't draft him. Boldin dropped to the late 2nd - which is exactly what happens to prospects who aren't "clean". Andre Johnson was as clean as can be. Fitzgerald may have run just slightly over 4.5, but he had a whole lot of other things going for him.

Last edited:
A lot of you guys misread Bruschi, IMO. I don't think he was saying the Pats need two IMMEDIATE starters. If he meant that, then the connection to the window closing soon wouldn't be obvious.

Rather, I think he means guys who develop into starters sooner rather than later (or than never). E.g., Vollmer, Butler.

Last edited:
Bruschi is dead on about the Jets run game.

It wont be as good and everything will be on the Sanchez. And, he will implode.

I liked the 2009 draft class. I think that Vollmer, Bulter, Chung, and Edelman are goign to morph into some valuable players for the Patriots. If the Pats can have a draft as good as that one, I will be pleased. A better draft would have me out of my mind.

I also don't think Tedy was hinting at getting two starters to come out of the block, but rather that we need two solid starters to emerge from this draft, be it this season or at some point in the future.

I still think there is a strong possibility of using some of these picks as trade bait, and that might be the most interesting scenario of all.

After looking at some of these posts, I have to say that I never want to see the Pats lose, but if they did have a few off seasons, the upside is that maybe it will thin the herd a little and take some weight off the bandwagon.

Belichick likes football players regardless of measureables. That's why he acquired Wes Welker. Although he has preferred large OLBs, given the rule changes to favor passing, don't be surprised if he drafts smaller, quicker linebackers.

(2) "The Patriots don't feel like they need to catch up (with the Jets & Dolphins). They're happy with where they are. Their philosophy in the offseason was to re-sign key veterans and they did that. Now they need to focus on the draft. After that, the team should be set, minus a few small moves. Just because the Jets sign every guy out there doesn't mean they're the one to beat in the AFC East."

(3) "I personally would rather have Thomas Jones than LaDainian Tomlinson on the New York Jets. Thomas Jones great production for that team and that production will be missed. LT has had some injury problems in the past. Those aches and pains will be magnified even more once he starts to experience a New York winter. It's not San Diego."

Let me out Bruschi as a blatent Homer.

ESPN made a great move hiring Bruschi. It's easy to see why and how he excelled on the field for so long. The man knows the game inside and out and comes off as a tremendous leader. What a player he was for the Pats.

( Last year we hit on Vollmer and Butler, and both will be counted on as starters. Chung looks pretty good too. We need as good as draft this year as last year.

Julian Edelman says "hi".

Julian Edelman says "hi".

I didn't forget Edelman. We hit on that draft pick and he'll be a starter. I was speaking the context of Bruschi's statement of hitting on the 2 of our FIRST FOUR PICKS. This is what I said:

"We need to hit on at least 2 out of our first 4 picks. If we go 0 for 4, our window might close soon. Last year we hit on Vollmer and Butler, and both will be counted on as starters. Chung looks pretty good too. We need as good as draft this year as last year."

Last edited:
I didn't forget Edelman. We hit on that draft pick and he'll be a starter. I was speaking the context of Bruschi's statement of hitting on the 2 of our FIRST FOUR PICKS. This is what I said:

"We need to hit on at least 2 out of our first 4 picks. If we go 0 for 4, our window might close soon. Last year we hit on Vollmer and Butler, and both will be counted on as starters. Chung looks pretty good too. We need as good as draft this year as last year."

Gotcha, thanks.

Bruschi is dead on about the Jets run game.

It wont be as good and everything will be on the Sanchez. And, he will implode.

Well, that's the hope, anyway.

Personally, I'd rather have a plan for success built on more than Hopes & Ifs.

More sage advice from Bru:

"Mike (Charlotte)
Do you think the Pats will keep their first 4 picks? It seems like BB just keeps trading and trading, what is the point of the draft if he doesnt pick anyone???

Tedy Bruschi (3:19 PM)
You're absolutely right Mike. And if all of these draft experts are correct, this draft is very deep. The Patriots feel this way also. They have too many positions of need to be trading out of the first 55 picks. I feel they should use every one to get a quality football player to help them win."

And still more:

"ryan (webster, ny)
should the patriots draft Tebow? is the patriots the best fit for Tebow? sounds like out of all the teams interested in him, the Patriots make the most sense. they don't have problems selling tickets; they already have a qb in brady who if he performs badly the fans won't call for him to be benched and he can learn from brady. What do you think?

Tedy Bruschi (3:26 PM)
Early on, I felt Tim Tebow would be a good pick with those multiple second round picks. I no longer feel that way. The more I study this draft, the more I see a deep draft that is filled with quality football players at many positions. Third round pick? I may use it on Tim Tebow, but those early four picks that they have in the first and second rounds, they have too many needs to fill than wasting one of them on a QB."

Listen to the man, Bill.

But Bru, the Pats don't have a 3rd round pick and would need to trade down from a 2nd to get one, or trade their 2011 2nd.

The Pats need more than a good draft to compete for a championship. We have no legitimate running back; no TE, no pass rush, no corner backs, finesse OL and weak coaching.

The Patriots need another Corey Dillion RB type pick up with several other veteran pick ups to make them a contender. Minus this, they will struggle to win the division and at best get bounced in the first round of the play offs.

Re-watch the play-off game against the Ravens. That was NOT just a bad day for the Pats. That was the Pats being exposed. If we replayed that game week 1 of the up coming season; what have the Pats done to change the result? A big fat nothing...

The Pats need more than a good draft to compete for a championship. We have no legitimate running back; no TE, no pass rush, no corner backs, finesse OL and weak coaching.

The Patriots need another Corey Dillion RB type pick up with several other veteran pick ups to make them a contender. Minus this, they will struggle to win the division and at best get bounced in the first round of the play offs.

Re-watch the play-off game against the Ravens. That was NOT just a bad day for the Pats. That was the Pats being exposed. If we replayed that game week 1 of the up coming season; what have the Pats done to change the result? A big fat nothing...

Someone get this man a drink for speaking the truth...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents