PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos sign Aqib Talib

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck with that contract, lol.
Denver is certainly going all in on defense...

No problem. Just sign Steve Smith and it' s all over but the icing up.

Tony Tucker and SB39 are having a contest - who is the stupidest poster here. I think Tony is winning.

Can you guys stop calling other posters stupid. Just because they have a different opinion than you guys or are not blindly supporting whatever moves the patriots makes, doesn't make them stupid.

I'm not going to miss him all that much. Being a great CB means nothing when you are on the sidelines injured. He's been injured too much these past 2 seasons and most importantly in the AFC Championship games. With his injury history he is not worth the kind of money the Broncos paid so it makes me happy they overpaid.

Now we have Edelman to worry about. The thought of losing our best CB and maybe our best receiver for the second year in a row is leaving me worried about next season. Best I can hope for is the Pats and Edelman come to an agreement.

Real salt in the wound would be Edelman signs with the Broncos.

Nah, Afam. They're right and we're wrong. We'll see how they look next year with Dennard, Ryan, and Arrington as their corners.

What exactly have I said that is so stupid? That the Broncos are strong today than they were in the AFCCG? Yeah, I'm really out of line there. :rolleyes:

No surer sign that people have nothing intelligent to say than when they resort to personal attacks instead of debating me intelligently.

You just keep complaining that we aren't "all in" to win with Brady.

What if it doesn't work? The Broncos had the greatest offense of all time last season and lost in the Super Bowl by 35. You've seen it with the Patriots in their Super Bowl wins and losses, us beating the Rams with the team we had in 01 and losing with the team we had in 07. It doesn't always work the way you expect. So again, what if it doesn't work?

The Jets have been terrible for three seasons after throwing it all on the table in 2010. I don't hear their fans saying "Well at least we tried" right now.

I have a friend who's a die hard Redskins fan. He isn't comforted by the fact they spent a ton of money in free agency in years past.

What if Manning goes down? They won't be winning a Super Bowl but will still be paying for these contracts down the road.

Well, I'll be damned if they get a healthy Talib in the playoffs, truth is it's really hard to trust Talib's health.

Hope Revis is interested to play with BB.

You just keep complaining that we aren't "all in" to win with Brady.

What if it doesn't work?
What if it does?

I am the first to admit there are no guarantees. But the window is closing on the Patriots having the greatest of all time under center and I would sure rather surround him with talent than whatever 2nd rate replacement takes over 4 years from now.
The Jets have been terrible for three seasons after throwing it all on the table in 2010. I don't hear their fans saying "Well at least we tried" right now.
Did the Jets have a future HOF, arguably best of all time QB playing for them? Because I must have missed that.

Did the Jets have a future HOF, arguably best of all time QB playing for them? Because I must have missed that.

They did when they pummeled the Patriots in Foxboro in 2010. Mark Sanchez, 16-25, 194 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 127.3 QB rating. Good coaching Bill.

They did when they pummeled the Patriots in Foxboro in 2010. Mark Sanchez, 16-25, 194 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 127.3 QB rating. Good coaching Bill.
True, the Patriots defense over the past few years has made an awful lot of QB's look like future HOFers, but I still don't see the Jets at any time over the past 5 years have a QB comparable to Brady (or 50 years, for that matter).

I think if we sign drc or cro and tuck then draft sumthin like aaron Donald, ASF, Christian jones, Weston richburg then we will be sittin very very good

What if it does?

I am the first to admit there are no guarantees. But the window is closing on the Patriots having the greatest of all time under center and I would sure rather surround him with talent than whatever 2nd rate replacement takes over 4 years from now.

What makes you so sure the replacement will be "second rate"?

What makes you sure Brady lasts 4 years and doesn't have his career ended by another ACL in the first game THIS year? What about if that happens to Manning?

NFL rosters are 53 moving pieces.

The Patriots got hit with arguably the worst injury bug last year and had 5 pro-bowlers IR'ed. They still made it to the AFCCG.

The Broncos went all-in the past two seasons and have no rings to show for it.

You keep talking about this "window closing" on the Patriots as if it is something certain. Perhaps the more you repeat it the more you think it is fact?

What if it does?

Peyton Manning is one of the best of all time as well and has one ring to show for it. He's had some tremendous teams surrounding him but all it takes is one game in January and it doesn't matter.

Brady might be the best ever but today's NFL is too close. The Houston Texans were the worst team in the league but took us to the end and more than likely would have beaten the eventual Super Bowl champs if not for Schaub's late pick 6 vs. Seattle. Like you said, there are no guarantees but even then the guarantees are getting thinner and thinner. Look at how many wild card teams have been in the Super Bowl in the past decade.

And yes, I understand we have Tom Brady and Belichick which gives fans hope we can win the Super Bowl every year. That being said, we've had 11 straight winning seasons and 3 Super Bowl titles but so many fans seem disgusted that it's been a decade since our last one. What would make me think winning one more would give the Patriots a pass to suck for 10 years?

i hate to start comparing with the broncos because its less than 12 hrs in to free agency but someone should check their schedule next yr before assuming they will put up points on the patriots secondary if they meet them.

You keep talking about this "window closing" on the Patriots as if it is something certain. Perhaps the more you repeat it the more you think it is fact?

This is a great point.

In Manning's case it's something entirely different, since he's 2 yrs+ older, and has recently gone on record as saying that this could be his last year playing.

Tom Brady is not in this same category whatsoever, as the window is not nearly as "shut" as Manning and Denver is. One can assume that Brady should have at least another 2 yrs+ once Manning even retires, just do to age alone. That wouldn't even be taking Brady's excellent health + Manning's poor health into account, which may add another year or so.

Hell, for all we know--we may see Belichick go a bit more in during FA just the same (even if it's not on the same level) once it's well known that Brady will be facing his last year or two. Luckily for us, this is not the same situation currently.

i hate to start comparing with the broncos because its less than 12 hrs in to free agency but someone should check their schedule next yr before assuming they will put up points on the patriots secondary if they meet them.

Just out of curiosity, how to the 2 relate to each other? The Broncos schedule and how they'll score on the Pats secondary, that is.

What makes you so sure the replacement will be "second rate"?
Compared to Brady, he'll be second rate. Of that I have no doubt.
What makes you sure Brady lasts 4 years and doesn't have his career ended by another ACL in the first game THIS year? What about if that happens to Manning?
Injuries are always a potential concern but I see no reason to believe that Brady will likely get injured, so I have no problem building a team with the assumption he will be here.
The Broncos went all-in the past two seasons and have no rings to show for it.
I don't consider what they did over the past 2 years as going "all in" to surround Manning with talent. Certainly not like this year. Who is their biggest pick up to surround Manning? Wes Welker at 2 years, 12 million?

They've got the future HOF QB, they know he's on the back 9, and they're doing everything they can to surround him with talent on both sides of the ball. I wish NE would do the same.
Call me crazy, but yeah I think when the greatest QB of all time leaves this team, there will be a few down years.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are in such denial over their misguided belief that the Patriots will easily replace Tom Brady.

It's hilarious how many people want to claim Brady is the greatest (or among the greatest) of all time, yet also claim the Patriots won't skip a beat when he's gone.

SB39--we all know that Belichick goes about it differently than others in terms of the team building process.

In 2010 and 2012 they spent the #2nd most out of ANY team in terms of cash, at 151 and 160 million dollars---well more than the cap. That is definitely trying to win and gather talent.

If we happen to get Revis and resign Edelman tomorrow (or his replacement), things will look much different. In the meantime, Belichick is going to continue keeping both the future and current in focus.

I do agree with you that another signing or two would have looked good today in terms of TJ Ward or some DL player, but we have to remember that BB does it differently.

SB39--we all know that Belichick goes about it differently than others in terms of the team building process.
That's correct. I'm just saying now that it cannot be denied that Tom Brady is on the back 9, it might not be a bad idea to go all in and maybe change up the approach a little.

Why this belief makes so many people so angry is a complete mystery.
If we happen to get Revis and resign Edelman tomorrow (or his replacement), things will look much different. In the meantime, Belichick is going to continue keeping both the future and current in focus.
I actually think there is a great chance they get Revis, and that is not a bandwagon I was on 6 hours ago. As much as some people want to picture Belichick as being 100% cool, calm and collected, I honestly believe he was probably a bit rattled by Denver's move and now feels a bit of pressure to get Revis.

Call me crazy, but yeah I think when the greatest QB of all time leaves this team, there will be a few down years.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are in such denial over their misguided belief that the Patriots will easily replace Tom Brady.

People aren't pretending that Brady will be replaced easily. But you can't assume the current status of the roster will be exactly the status of the roster when Brady retires.

Three years from now, we may have a young stud RB. We may have the best OL in the league. Maybe Dobson becomes one of the best WRs in the league. Maybe our defense is lethal. I don't expect this to happen, just pointing out how things can change quickly in today's NFL. The Seahawks won the AFC West in 2010 with a 7-9 record. The division was garbage. In 2014, it would be a shock if there's a better one.

That's the point, it's not some blind stupidity that we think our next QB will be just as good as Tom Brady. It's the reality that in a few years the team might be in a position to not "need" a Tom Brady but still be a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3