PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos not ruling Welker (concussion) out for Thursday; writer asks Wes to retire

Re: OT - Writer Asks Wes Welker To Retire After Suffering Another Concussion

Wes is one of the toughest players I've ever seen. If he can play, he'll be out there.

Sometimes toughest doesn't = smartest.

1. To blame Manning for injuries to his WRs is a stretch. Thompkins got hurt catching a ball from Brady. Might I mention Gronk. Yeah, I know, we're talking about concussions. You don't have to be catching a ball to get a concussion. Welker, Stokley, Collie...they're all small guys getting beat by guys that have 60lbs and 5inches over them. So their heads are at a "convenient" location.

ps. I hope Amendola and Edelman be extra careful.

2. It's not easy to "just retire". For a lot of these guys, it's their whole life and when you've worked your whole life to get to this point, sometimes nothing else matters. Some get lucky and some never recover from a failed career. It's the same with boxers. All they know is how to fight. And when that is taken away from you, you feel like a worthless human being. I'm not saying that is right but that's what a lot of guys think.

Disclaimer: I'm not an athlete but i'm a musician and I have many many friends who work super low wage jobs they hate just so they can get by and continue to "stay in the music business". To give up a dream is worse than not trying to hang on to it, sometimes at great cost.

Sometimes toughest doesn't = smartest.
Definitely not. That caveat of 'if he can play' indicates that his concussions are probably not of the debilitating kind. If they are, then obviously he won't be out there playing. At least I hope not for his sake anyway.

If he's passing the concussion tests (I don't see how, but I digress), then it's his choice.

Manning must really want that TD record.

If he's passing the concussion tests (I don't see how, but I digress), then it's his choice.

Those "tests" must be like classroom "tests" given to athletes at Florida "Universities". :D

Last edited:
Manning must have the most touchdown passes in NFL History within 5 yards by over 100 touchdowns.

Hope he doesn't get another one on Thursday but it seems they're (he is?) playing with fire.

Those "tests" must be like classroom "tests" given to athletes at Florida "Universities". :D

Or they're only meant to catch the really low hanging fruit. I know doctors have gone away from labeling concussions either severe or mild, but there have to be different degrees. Marc Savard of the Bruins not being able to go out in the sunlight for six months would be different from whatever Welker had prior to the Pats game. It's possible the "test" really doesn't pick up on the nuances well. It wouldn't shock me if the whole thing was lip-service by the league anyway.

tumblr_inline_mxg8vkcutD1r79k32.gif

Bad bad idea. Welker is F'd if he takes many more shots. Peyton gets his guys killed out there.

Definitely not. That caveat of 'if he can play' indicates that his concussions are probably not of the debilitating kind. If they are, then obviously he won't be out there playing. At least I hope not for his sake anyway.

That's the problem with the question of debility. It's the next concussion that causes debility. That's exactly why he shouldn't be playing.

1. To blame Manning for injuries to his WRs is a stretch. Thompkins got hurt catching a ball from Brady. Might I mention Gronk. Yeah, I know, we're talking about concussions. You don't have to be catching a ball to get a concussion. Welker, Stokley, Collie...they're all small guys getting beat by guys that have 60lbs and 5inches over them. So their heads are at a "convenient" location.

ps. I hope Amendola and Edelman be extra careful.

2. It's not easy to "just retire". For a lot of these guys, it's their whole life and when you've worked your whole life to get to this point, sometimes nothing else matters. Some get lucky and some never recover from a failed career. It's the same with boxers. All they know is how to fight. And when that is taken away from you, you feel like a worthless human being. I'm not saying that is right but that's what a lot of guys think.

Disclaimer: I'm not an athlete but i'm a musician and I have many many friends who work super low wage jobs they hate just so they can get by and continue to "stay in the music business". To give up a dream is worse than not trying to hang on to it, sometimes at great cost.

You touched on part of the issue that caused Junior Seau to kill himself. Missed the adrenalin thrill of competition.

Sincere best health wishes for Wes and all other players not named Pollard.

A stat guy was on Felger and Spaz two days ago explaining that ACL injuries have doubled in two years. Either brain dead or crippled.....some way to make a living...in a sport where only few really cash in. In the meantime, everybody in MLB is making 8 figures plus with careers that last well into their 30's. And then there is the emergence of pro soccer in the US. Another viable alternative to cash in. The writing may be on the wall for pro football.....Are we at the pinnacle of the sport now?

I know those standard UF tests...

When+I+Take+A+Test.+From+a+scene+in+21_ec84c9_3665247.jpg

A stat guy was on Felger and Spaz two days ago explaining that ACL injuries have doubled in two years. Either brain dead or crippled.....some way to make a living...in a sport where only few really cash in. In the meantime, everybody in MLB is making 8 figures plus with careers that last well into their 30's. And then there is the emergence of pro soccer in the US. Another viable alternative to cash in. The writing may be on the wall for pro football.....Are we at the pinnacle of the sport now?

Yes, I think we are.

Knowing what we know now, there's no way I'm letting my grandson go into football (my son agrees).

Baseball all the way.

ahhhh no?.....

if he passes the test then why not? :bricks:

if he passes the test then why not? :bricks:

Thank you, Dean of the University of Nevada Las Vegas!

- Yahoo Screen

BtoM: If they call it a "test" then it must be ok??????

The man has had two concussions in one month.

Last edited:
Thank you, Dean of the University of Nevada Las Vegas!

- Yahoo Screen

BtoM: If they call it a "test" then it must be ok??????

The man has had two concussions in one month.

But if he gets another one it's likely the last one he'll ever have playing for the NFL...

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back