Welcome to PatsFans.com

Broncos not ruling Welker (concussion) out for Thursday; writer asks Wes to retire

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by Dr Pain, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Dr Pain

Dr Pain Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,852 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Re: OT - Writer Asks Wes Welker To Retire After Suffering Another Concussion

No, Austin Collie needs to retire. Welker isn't in Austin Collie territory, yet. But, after a few more instances of Manning hanging him out to dry, he might be.

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -3

The ASPCA should have boycotted Manning for getting that Collie killed.

And I'm all for putting the shoe on the other foot (or whatever that saying is). How many writers would you like to ask to retire? I can think of a handful.

4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,144 / 5 / -20

#61 Jersey

He at least should retire from those insipid Old Spice deodorant commercials.

5. FortressX

FortressX On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Neither needs to retire as of yet.

Wes needs to sit for the next 2 games though.

Austin when he was with the Colts had no business playing against the Pats.

At this point in time and with recent events, I am more worried about Austin's knees.

6. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +52 / 4 / -3

Welker should shut it down for the season, no doubt.

What seems to be constantly overlooked with concussions is the subsequent hits. It's not like you have 5 concussion allowances and you check them off over the course of several seasons. It's the second concussion that can cause big damage coming so soon after the first. Welker has been hit hard in the span of 3 or 4 weeks. If he plays and gets hit again hard in the next 3 weeks, he can suffer a lot of longterm damage. Worth the risk?

7. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +197 / 2 / -0

Former SI columnist urges Welker to retire | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

8. Danny

Danny In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +185 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Are you ******* kidding me?

9. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +319 / 2 / -12

#50 Jersey

Nothing says dementia quite like leaving Brady for Manning and agreeing to promote Old Spice by being a football player in a snow globe.

10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,144 / 5 / -20

#61 Jersey

The one with lizards eating his legs is especially bizarre.

11. TyronePoole

TyronePoole Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I bet when Old Spice asked him to write the commercials they didn't know he was brain damaged

12. Whitt25

Whitt25 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +25 / 2 / -0

Them concussions would've never happened if he stayed in New England.

13. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +404 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

The writer claims that Welker has eight to ten concussions in his career. If two happened this year, it seems safe that most of the rest occurred during Welker's time with the Patriots.

14. Dingleberry

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -3

Nah, the rest occurred in Miami while banging his head against the wall in frustration.:D

15. vuudu

vuudu In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 4 / -0

Bernard Pollard, when is he going to get his? This is unbelievable.

16. Dingleberry

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -3

Justice/Karma can sometimes be slow in coming. But it can also be nasty when it does.

See Jack Tatum

17. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I think the writer is just guessing about the concussions Wes has had in the past.

That said, two in three games is definitely not good. What's especially not good is that the sideline test failed in his first concussion -- he was cleared to go back out and play, and he did play a few plays, before the staff re-evaluated him. In fact, I don't think he was even given a sideline test -- it's supposed to take at least 5 minutes and he was back out on the same drive.

All concussions can be bad. A concussion that occurs before the brain is done healing from a prior concussion can be catastrophic. Whether or not there have been concussions in the past, I would think (hope) that two concussion in three weeks -- especially where the player was allowed to play after suffering the first one -- would mean extensive rest and time for healing.

Welker's the enemy now, having gone to the Broncos, but the truth is that when hangs them up for good, I'll have a real fondness for him as a player for all the great moments he gave us. I really don't want to think about seeing 40 year old Wes Welker being interviewed on tv with CTE or some other degenerative problem in a few years.

18. obgod3

obgod3 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 2 / -1

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had that manny concussions. Most of the time he spent in NE they didn't have the current concussion protocol and I know I watched him a few times at least come off the field and his eyes didn't look so great. I have no doubt he experienced concussions in NE.

I think he will be a poster boy for dementia someday.

19. Silver Blue&Red

Silver Blue&Red In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

When he does get his, I will actually be happy about it.

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Welker is learning the difference between playing with Brady and Manning. Peyton's receivers have a long history of getting put into harm's way by some of those throws he gives them.

Brandon Stokley was just put on I.R. today for another concussion. Now, that's a guy that should have retired four years ago or so. He's had a long history of them dating back to his time with Manning. As does our very own Austin Collie. That trend is indisputable for slot-men who've played with #18.

Wes is one of the toughest players I've ever seen. If he can play, he'll be out there.