PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bronco Special Teams: LS Paxton out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funktopus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Any idea who the back up is? I wonder if it was Kuper.

Saw on twitter where they had a couple of guys in for workouts yesterday.

Whatever is happening I wish the Paxton family the best, Fox's comment makes it sound serious.

I expect the Pats will run some stunts etc to challenge the middle of that line and whoever the new player is. I know this sounds cold but that is part of the game.

Last edited:
It was in fact Kuper.
So the primary and back-up are both out.

This then necessitates bringing in an unfamiliar long-snapper, and dropping someone from the team.

Potentially a bigger impact than you would first think.
Fake punts - can they do this with one day to prepare? Since they did this a week ago, and can be a good way to keep an offense off the field, it might well limit their ability here.
How will a street free agent react in a playoff game, in cold weather?

It was in fact Kuper.
So the primary and back-up are both out.

This then necessitates bringing in an unfamiliar long-snapper, and dropping someone from the team.

Potentially a bigger impact than you would first think.
Fake punts - can they do this with one day to prepare? Since they did this a week ago, and can be a good way to keep an offense off the field, it might well limit their ability here.
How will a street free agent react in a playoff game, in cold weather?

Why drop someone from the team? IR either Paxton or Kuper.

Seems like a mistake if true. In addition to snapping the ball, the LS has to cover on punts. Probably not what you want your starting center doing except in emergencies.

Good point and that would eliminate Hochstein too I suppose.

I wonder, when is the last moment a team can add a player?

Why drop someone from the team? IR either Paxton or Kuper.

Putting someone on IR is dropping them.
If Paxton would be available in another week should they win, you might not want to put him on IR. Not sure if there is an appropriate reserve list, but I doubt IR can be used for whatever personal situation his family is suffering.

Assume Kuper was already placed on IR.

I guess if your starting Center becomes the long-snapper, then maybe you just kick high or out of bounds and go for the fair catch. Forget about trying to get everyone down the field to tackle.

Good point and that would eliminate Hochstein too I suppose.

I wonder, when is the last moment a team can add a player?

I think the player has to be on the roster the day before to be able to play...meaning you can't sign a player the day of the game.

Apparently it is not injury related. Some sort of family emergency. I hope everything is OK. Paxton was a critical part of those SB winning teams.

Life just hasn't been the same without our Snow Angel :(

Loved Paxton when he was in New England. Luckily Jake Ingram has filled in nicely...oh wait.

Still can't believe BB drafted a frickin' long snapper that turned out to be awful. A LONG SNAPPER. Could've picked up Jason McCourty with that draft pick instead.

This sounds VERY serious, all the more so because the position of LS is one you can presumably play after missing a week of practice.

That he's not bothering to show up for the game suggests something pretty bad is going on elsewhere ... :(

Last edited:
My best wishes go out to Lonnie and his family.

This could be huge for the Broncos. A bad snap in cold weather.. YIKES..

On a side note, I believe that Hochstein can long snap. He did that a few times for the Pats in 2004 when players got injured.

This sounds VERY serious, all the more so because the position of LS is one you can presumably play after missing a week of practice.

That he's not bothering to show up for the game suggests something pretty bad is going on elsewhere ... :(

No question, very, very scary to think about a "family issue" that would keep a long snapper out of a playoff game. Hope everything turns out ok for the Paxtons.

Or they could wake David Binn off the couch and promise him a trip to the early bird special at Denny's if he can stay up past his normal bedtime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes