PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Briggs close to signing tender. Is Asante far behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Briggs close to signing tender. Is Asante far behind ?

At some point, reality has to make an appearance, at least to check in.

No, reality does not have to enter into the world of the NFL.

Normal standards of living do not apply, normal standards of acceptable work practices do not apply, normal standards of ethical behaviour do not apply.

They are better than normal people, they should be allowed to do, say whatever they like and we should not question them because they are pro athletes.

This is what I have learned today.

Why are they different than us???

Do they really need 30 pound gold chains or 7 mazerattis....

Mazlos Heirarchy...:rolleyes:

Maslow, I think... it's definitely worth noting and stewing over, as fans, which is what we are. It's just that there's nothing to be done about it.

Think about it... on the order of 60% of the NFL revenue goes to players, of whom there are perhaps 1700 once the season starts. The rest goes to "the organizations." That's a good number of grunts getting a pittance to file things, make photocopies, set up slide projectors, get the errant balls at practice, and yes, break down film sometimes, if "The Education of a Coach" is still to be believed. Then there is the ownership, usually one man atop this hierarchy. His football income is usually a minor part of his corporate money. He's the real "pig". But we love him -- because ours will always be a Patriot, unlike Tebucky or Lawyer or Ty or Corey or [Your Name here.]

We root for the billionaire against the millionaire, because the millionaire has to justify his millions. Both parties are unimaginably rich... both get rich in whole or in part because you or me splurge on a couple of $200 nosebleed seats once in a season, or maybe on $2K worth of season tickets, or, for our advertising agency's schmoozing purposes, on $100K worth of luxury seating.

It's our money this is coming from. We do have the right to say "enough is enough." This is a perfect place to say it. Of course, unless we stop watching the game -- even on TV, where they help us decide whether we should use Axe or Tag, Foamy or Edge -- well, it just doesn't matter what we say.

For the record - yeah, these guys are greedy. All of them. And its accumulation beyond any sort of decency, while people are starving somewhere, people lose their $80K a year union automaker jobs (for being "greedy,") and America's literacy and infant mortality rates lag the civilized world's.

But goddammit, they don't have football and we do. Of course, they do have soccer.

The real, ultimate truth is that the whole freakin business reeks, all our really expensive pleasures reek in the face of so much injustice in the world.

But we don't live life in the "ultimate," we live it by what gives us happiness. I for one am brainwashed. Patriots football makes me happy. I somehow believe that a guy wearing the right colors, getting over a chalk line, is more important to me than a stranger's death.

That being the case, the guys wearing MY laundry better be the best in the game.

Oh never mind, this is going nowhere, and I'll just end up having to send another check to Miguel's sister's friend's kitchen again if I don't shut up now.

PFnV

Asonte is trying to achive "self actualazation" after tackling the problems of food, shelter, saftey, and security. Hes reaching for a higher plain of untold riches. Oh wait a minute I think untold riches falls under food,or security. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back