PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Briggs close to signing tender. Is Asante far behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Briggs close to signing tender. Is Asante far behind ?

Hey, it's "Save the Children!", and that's my line!
It's Helen Lovejoy's line from The Simpsons, and its exactly how I quoted it :)

don't pretend you're looking out for Asante.

Please find one post where I claim to be looking out for ***ante.....

I could care less about him. I root for the Patriots. Very few players would I ever root for if they went to another team.

I want what is best for the Patriots. If he wants to be a greedy ********* that certainly well within his rights to do so but he wont be doing it on my team.

He can go finish his career with fat boy in Detroit....So successful as its been.:rolleyes:

Maybe he wants 7 Ferrari's, and if he can get the, he's well within his right......Financial decisions are a personal matter, nobody knows what's good for someone else. We just know what we want for the team, don't pretend you're looking out for Asante.
At some point one can call it GREED..and it's certainly within his right TO BE GREEDY!! And fans have a perfect right to believe that.

Maybe he wants 7 Ferrari's, and if he can get the, he's well within his right. What he's doing is similar to gambling, he's giving up money now in the hopes of making more of it in the future. Some posters have a crystal ball, but I don't, and I have no idea what he'll get in the future with some other team, and neither does he, but he's willing to take the risk. Financial decisions are a personal matter, nobody knows what's good for someone else. We just know what we want for the team, don't pretend you're looking out for Asante.

Don't you get it Pujo, some fans know what's best for Asante. Heck, they even want to tell him how to live. What most people can't relate to is the dollars being discussed. To Joe Taxpayer who makes $30-50-80k a year, a couple of million bucks is the lottery. They can't fathom how someone wouldn't fall to their knees and buckle to BB's desires. Of course, if they were objective in any capacity, and attempted to place themselves in Samuels shoes, they'd see what the realities were.

Please find one post where I claim to be looking out for ***ante.....

I could care less about him. I root for the Patriots. Very few players would I ever root for if they went to another team.

I want what is best for the Patriots. If he wants to be a greedy ********* that certainly well within his rights to do so but he wont be doing it on my team.

He can go finish his career with fat boy in Detroit....So successful as its been.
Now that's a legitimate view! Wanting a player to sign because you like the team is exactly where most people stand as fans.

It's the stuff about "he doesn't need this" or "it's better for him if he does that" that's hogwash.

At some point one can call it GREED..and it's certainly within his right TO BE GREEDY!! And fans have a perfect right to believe that.
Maybe I'm a greedy person, but I'd always take more money if I could, no matter how much I had. I'd find ways to spend it.

In the meantime, other players make more than he's asking for, so it's not like his demand is ludicrous.

Last edited:

It's the stuff about "he doesn't need this"

Well I am sorry but I dont think ANYONE needs 30 million dollars up front. And that also is a legitimate point of view.

The money in sports is totally out of whack but thats not ***ante's problem or doing, he is just contributing to it.

The money in sports is totally out of whack but thats not ***ante's problem or doing, he is just contributing to it.
Clearly as fans we appreciate the difference between someone like Brady, who takes less money to stay here, and Asante, who often has the S in his name replaced with not one but two dollar signs by some very clever people, but that doesn't mean he should turn down the best offer he thinks he can get. If someone offered me $15 million to play football, I'd do it. But if someone offered me $15 million and someone else offered me $30, I betcha know what I'd do. So would you.

Well I am sorry but I dont think ANYONE needs 30 million dollars up front. And that also is a legitimate point of view.

How about $24 million?

Clearly as fans we appreciate the difference between someone like Brady,

Along with Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, .......Yeah players who care about the team along with still getting a seriously good payday.

This is just laughable. I concede, Samuel doesn't know what's good for him, he should play for the vet minimum since he can easily live off that.

But if someone offered me $15 million and someone else offered me $30, I betcha know what I'd do. So would you.

Sure, everyone wants as much money as they can possibly get. However, where has he been offered $30 mil? He is reportedly asking for that much, but if some team were offering that up, then we would have heard about it by now.

So if no one has met his alleged asking price, than maybe others too feel his demands are a little unreasonable considering his entire playing history. So at this point, chances are that "best offer" likely isn't coming.

This is just laughable. I concede, Samuel doesn't know what's good for him, he should play for the vet minimum since he can easily live off that.

That's still a lot of Yugo's Pujo. :D

yugo_rear.jpg

Yeah thats what I said.:rolleyes:

That's still a lot of Yugo's Pujo. :D
Lol, it would be hilarious if he drove a sh!tbox and never explained why, it would just be one of those weird things people would whisper about. The media would speculate he's mentally ill.

Sure, everyone wants as much money as they can possibly get. However, where has he been offered $30 mil? He is reportedly asking for that much, but if some team were offering that up, then we would have heard about it by now.

So if no one has met his alleged asking price, than maybe others too feel his demands are a little unreasonable considering his entire playing history. So at this point, chances are that "best offer" likely isn't coming.

Teams might not be giving him the cash because of the draft pick compensation. If paying him $30 million were the only cost, he might get that. Thing is, teams have to pay him, and then compensate the Pats.

Most of your premise is built upon the idea that Samuel sits out until week 10. I don't think he will do this.

Reading the rest of your post, I see that you're of the "he reports to camp and it all gets done" school of thought. I am a pessimist, and a Branch survivor. We have a support group, "Survivors of the Deion Branch holdout." It meets here at 11...

Seriously - yes, the conversation gets easier if we make your assumption, which is, hey, relax, it will work out. I know 4 out of 5 experts say it will. Probably because of last year's experience, my gut says start thinking of the alternatives. Yes, missing $5M out of about 8 is different from what Branch would be passing up. But I refuse to be heartened by common sense.

As far as trying new tactics and raising the ante for a trade, every team in the league had a chance to sign Samuel with a cost of two #1s. They could have approached the Patriots with some sort of compromise. Why would a team suddenly feel the need to make such a deal now?

They wouldn't. QED.

The Patriots have been inventive, although misguided, the Branch situation is a good example. By allowing Branch to seek a trade it opened a Pandora's box and in many opinions blew up in their face. This year the are going back to their traditional stance of making an offer and then backing away until the situation plays itself out.

I agree to a point. I like the trade value as it was eventually realized in the Branch situation. I do think that combined w/Seymour getting a decent (but we should note, not "monster" deal,) this set the stage for the Samuel situation. So my caveat is that the "next" situation was a known issue, when they made their deals last season. Samuel filled the niche nicely. I agree they are moving away from either trading or caving.

If you're right, everybody knows all these things, and it's all posturing. If I'm right, it's just a bad time to be Asante (i.e., looking for the jackpot.)

Another premise is that Samuel wants $80 million like Clements, we don't know this. All we know is he wants more than the $30M or so the Patriots offered.

Agreed, as with all speculation, we all get to look back and talk about how it was all speculation. Yes, the 80M/8yr/30M guaranteed has been repeated enough times that it's taken as fact, and the 3 years at 30M is considered almost gospel. Evidently, however, the amount of guaranteed money is the sticking point (which of course is what everybody looks for in the first place.) So, we know the 3 year, 30M "strong rumor", the 13M Pats offer. We also know that two years at close to $18M is Samuel's "fear" (that is, what he gets if he is franchised twice.) You can look at 9M/year (18M) for two years as a non-starter. Number of years on the deal, obviously, is also of interest to both Samuel and the Pats.

So now he is acting within his rights to miss some or all of training camp (it is not a holdout since he is not under contract). It is laughable to include a comment about sitting him, whether he plays a down or not is outside the scope of a business conversation. If he signs the tender and joins the team the Patriots have to pay him.

If I am a businessman, I decide the allocation of my resources, including players. I don't think it's likely, but it is in no way illegal. It is also quite possible if he's got some rust, and the best way to win is play him at nickel this year. I have seen stranger things happen.

I will repeat myself but IMO neither Samuel or the Patriots are doing anything wrong, it is purely posturing and feet stomping. I believe we will see him show up just in time to start receiving pay checks. In 08 if he is franchised he will have made close to $18M, while publically he may complain about the fairness of the CBA, in his heart of hearts he will feel pretty damn happy.

18M if he plays the 10 games this year. As I said, he has the option of going nuclear and taking the holdout through game 10. He'd end up playing for $3M this year if that is the case.

I agree. Neither he nor the team has done anything wrong. We'll see. Maybe very smart things are happening behind the scenes. Just like maybe they were with Branch last year (who has mentioned more than once how it was never his intention to get traded.)

We will see. I only mention the tools at the disposal of the team, should Samuel use all the tools at the disposal of the individual player.

PFnV

If it hasn't been stated here ,it has in other posts. Respect many players view how much they are respected by their peers by how much they make. Alittel greed should be thrown in also. I'm sure AS realizes that 8-18 mill is enough to live on for the rest of his life. But the respect angel, and the thought of 30 mill cloud his thinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye