PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Briggs close to signing tender. Is Asante far behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, chics dig me cuz I rarely wear underwear. ;)

BillMurray1.jpg
Im sure with the high car payments you may not be able to aford undeware at the usual places, have you tried the good will store. :rocker:

Last edited:
If it hasn't been stated here ,it has in other posts. Respect many players view how much they are respected by their peers by how much they make. Alittel greed should be thrown in also. I'm sure AS realizes that 8-18 mill is enough to live on for the rest of his life. But the respect angel, and the thought of 30 mill cloud his thinking.

I think most in here would agree that $5-10-20 million is sickening money, and that any of us would jump through hoops at a chance to have that. My only contention is that Asante is free to decide for himself what his best course of action is. He can be a greedy scumbag if he thinks it in his best interests, and he can sign for less if that's what he wants to do.

I think most in here would agree that $5-10-20 million is sickening money, and that any of us would jump through hoops at a chance to have that. My only contention is that Asante is free to decide for himself what his best course of action is. He can be a greedy scumbag if he thinks it in his best interests, and he can sign for less if that's what he wants to do.
I agree ,width what your saying .I'm just looking at motivational factors,you know why is he doing,what he's doing. There are a few players not many that will play because they love the game. And so the respect /greed angal dont come into play i.e. Bruschi, Vrable et al

Last edited:
Re: Briggs close to signing tender. Is Asante far behind ?

I agree..he has to this point...and to his path I may disagree it IS to his best interest..but given that he has no contract at this point..VERY true. And certainly he can sit to the 10th game if he wishes..or even longer. So if the Patriots wished to sit him which THEY have a right to do that would be OK with you??

I do my job, which is not football related, and let the patriots make the decisions what's in the best interest of the team. And I generally support it, because they have demonstrated a pretty good track record.

Similarly, I trust that Samuel will do whatever he's most comfortable with, and it's his life. I can't live it for him. Do I wish he'd play? Of course.

But I have been very vocal -- paritcularly in the Branch situation -- that the patriots should do what they think is in the best interest of the team and that it's all just business. It would be hypocritical of me to say the opposite now where a player makes a decision I'm unhappy about. It goes both ways.

Don't you get it Pujo, some fans know what's best for Asante. Heck, they even want to tell him how to live. What most people can't relate to is the dollars being discussed. To Joe Taxpayer who makes $30-50-80k a year, a couple of million bucks is the lottery. They can't fathom how someone wouldn't fall to their knees and buckle to BB's desires. Of course, if they were objective in any capacity, and attempted to place themselves in Samuels shoes, they'd see what the realities were.
the reality is athletes like this are INCREDIBLY lucky to get paid so much for a game....VERY FEW of them can relate to the average American..

Take 7 million put it in a money market account and live off the interest...

I can live pretty comfortably on 700k a year.:rolleyes:

Whoa!
What a fool am I. I'm geting less than 4% on my Fidelity money market.
Please post the url for your 10% money market fund!
Thanks!

Whoa!
Thanks!

I think you meant to say less than 5%. Fidelity Cash Reserves is currently quoting at 4.98% (7 day yield). :)

Whoa!
Thanks!

You're also probably paying taxes. Let's say Asante gets paid $7.8 million. Since he lives in Florida, he gets a break on taxes, but his take home for 2007 will end up being a bit less than $5 million, from which he'll have to pay his agent about $240,000. (Agents make 3 percent -- but of the gross, not the after tax net.) Let's say he can get 7 percent. That's about $330,000, which also will be taxed. Figure about $215,000 take home.

A good salary? Sure. Enough to live on? Not even close for a professional athlete. And that's only if he never touches principal.

I agree ,width what your saying .I'm just looking at motivational factors,you know why is he doing,what he's doing. There are a few players not many that will play because they love the game. And so the respect /greed angal dont come into play i.e. Bruschi, Vrable et al

Oh, absolutely. There is a reason why we love this team more so than most, and why we, the average Joe's of the world, love these players too. They love the game, love to play, and virtually all of them have chosen to play for less. In an era where most players on pro sports leave a team for an extra $1, I find the Bruschi/Vrabel/TBrown/Brady/Harrison's etc. extrordinarily special.

the reality is athletes like this are INCREDIBLY lucky to get paid so much for a game....VERY FEW of them can relate to the average American..

How much has Asante made in his brief career as a 4th round pick, on his rookie deal? Sure they are lucky, and I'm sure most of them know that. The thing is, that doesn't change the fact that he's looking at 1yr/$8 million versus a long term deal that makes his parents, family, kids, their kids, etc...set for life. If I were in his position, I'd think long and hard about what my next step would be. Personally, if the PAts weren't in the vacinity of paying fairly ($13 mill guaranteed versus $30 mill I were seeking), I'd get some personal injury insurance, play for the $7.8, and see what happens next year. If I were franchised again, I'd be cool with it cuz it would mean $17 million guaranteed over two years, which is much more than what the Pats were guaranteeing over 3. Who knows though. Maybe he knows he's not as good as last season, and is fearful he'll come back down to earth. I dunno.

You're also probably paying taxes. Let's say Asante gets paid $7.8 million. Since he lives in Florida, he gets a break on taxes, but his take home for 2007 will end up being a bit less than $5 million, from which he'll have to pay his agent about $240,000. (Agents make 3 percent -- but of the gross, not the after tax net.) Let's say he can get 7 percent. That's about $330,000, which also will be taxed. Figure about $215,000 take home.

A good salary? Sure. Enough to live on? Not even close for a professional athlete. And that's only if he never touches principal.

Exactly.

He lives in Florida, but he works in Massachusetts right? So, unless I'm wrong (which is why I'm asking), doesn't he still have to pay Massachusetts state income tax? If so, that's another 5.95%.

Even if he collected $300k a year for life, he'd live comforatably, but what about his kids, grandkids, and his own parents? That's what most other people don't understand. At $300k you can't buy your parents a home, help your brother or sister out, or take care of your kids, and grandkids. You'd be able to help them all a little, or do something special for one, whereas with with $25-30 million guaranteed you could do it for everyone.

Why are they different than us???

Do they really need 30 pound gold chains or 7 mazerattis....

Mazlos Heirarchy...:rolleyes:

Why are they different than us???

Do they really need 30 pound gold chains or 7 mazerattis....
Mazlos Heirarchy...:rolleyes:
The "principle" we speak of is that if someone is making more than he is in the NFL, and he feels he's as good as them, then he should make at least as much. It's not about making more than you or I, it's about making more than another player.

Exactly.

He lives in Florida, but he works in Massachusetts right? So, unless I'm wrong (which is why I'm asking), doesn't he still have to pay Massachusetts state income tax? If so, that's another 5.95%.

Even if he collected $300k a year for life, he'd live comforatably, but what about his kids, grandkids, and his own parents? That's what most other people don't understand. At $300k you can't buy your parents a home, help your brother or sister out, or take care of your kids, and grandkids. You'd be able to help them all a little, or do something special for one, whereas with with $25-30 million guaranteed you could do it for everyone.

I can't do all these things on a 90K non-guaranteed salary. Should I refuse to report to work until my boss gives me $25-$30 million guaranteed?

Does Asante love his family more that I love mine?

I can't do all these things on a 90K non-guaranteed salary. Should I refuse to report to work until my boss gives me $25-$30 million guaranteed?

If there was a chance you could actually get the $25-$30 million, or get fired so someone else could pay you that much, would you do it then? The only reason I don't hold out at work is because they'd can my ass and the next guy wouldn't pay me any more.

The "principle" we speak of is that if someone is making more than he is in the NFL, and he feels he's as good as them, then he should make at least as much. It's not about making more than you or I, it's about making more than another player.

And that is exactly what I referred to in my initial post as ego and greed....Which is exactly what it is.

Hmmmm:eek:

And that is exactly what I referred to in my initial post as ego and greed....Which is exactly what it is.

Hmmmm:eek:
It might be ego, it might be greed, but in the end it still might be a good move for Samuel. My only point is that people here are saying that they know what's best for Samuel, and nobody does but him.

If there was a chance you could actually get the $25-$30 million, or get fired so someone else could pay you that much, would you do it then? .

Granted, but that's not a realistic option for Asante either. He can go to work and collect the franchise number, or hold out and collect less than half of that. I don't see anybody coming up with the required trade value to satisfy Belichick at this point.

Say what? What's your point? I'm not sure I'm following you here.

Say what? What's your point? I'm not sure I'm following you here.

My point, which is not the best one I've ever made, is that in an ideal world, you'd like enough money to take care of everybody in your life and cure all the worlds' diseases.

But where do you draw the line? Should you feel the need to take care of your unborn grandchildren? Your great-great-grand children? Twenty generations? There's always one more person that you can add to the list of reasons why you're holding out. I can hold out for enough money to make sure I have enough money that my immediate family won't lack any of the essentials. I can hold out for enough money to make sure that my extended family won't lack any of the essentials. I can hold out for enough money to make sure that my extended family can have every luxury they can whimsically want. I can hold out for enough money to make sure my extended family, friends, posse, and assorted hangers-on can have every luxury they can whimsically want. I can hold out for enough money to make sure than my great-great-great-grandchildren never have to lift a finger in their life.

At some point, reality has to make an appearance, at least to check in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes