PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Brady has a high ankle sprain

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this speculation brings us nowhere. To borrow a phrase, "it is what it is". Either its bad or it isn't. We just have to wait and see. Let's not drive ourselves crazy in the meantime.

It might be a bad sprained ankle. it's not a high ankle sprain.

Don't think there is a mild high ankle sprain.

Do requote an acute sports medicine site I linked in another post

Sportwriter drama turns a rare injury into every single sprained ankle.

A high ankle sprain means the two bones in your leg have become separated and you probably can't stand up.

While it's true that a high ankle sprain is by definition not minor, there are degrees of high ankle spains, and grade 1 is 'mild' compared to the others. We've seen lots of players sustain grade 1 high ankle sprains and come back pretty effectively within 2 weeks. Last year, Jamaal Charles missed one week with one.

It seems very few, even nationally, consider this significant. Except for Tribe Dark Cloud: Brady dies before bye week begins. Loads of people around here despise good news. This place is incredible...

While it's true that a high ankle sprain is by definition not minor, there are degrees of high ankle spains, and grade 1 is 'mild' compared to the others. We've seen lots of players sustain grade 1 high ankle sprains and come back pretty effectively within 2 weeks. Last year, Jamaal Charles missed one week with one.

That's right, a grade 1 or 2 means you can't bear any weight and you can resume athletic activity in six weeks. I've linked 2 different sites in this thread.

Just because a journalist says "high ankle sprain" doesn't mean it is. Only 5-10% of all sprains are high ankle sprains.

You don't have to read the sites I linked, why not google a sports orthopedic site youreself?

I say he didn't, based on medical sites.

A high ankle sprain means the two bones in your leg have become separated and you cannot bear any weight. They do not fuse together in a week. Show me a reputable sports medicine site that says otherwise.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2
I had an ankle sprain after my next to the last high school football game and as soon as it was diagnosed as a high ankle sprain, my doctor strongly recommended amputation. That was 38 years ago and, while I learned early how to limp with my prosthesis, I'm unfailing grateful for that great medical advice...

Possibly. Or pos

Plus, the Patriots played great even with Brady injured, so how serious could it have been?

Just goes to show, all the people saying that Brady should sit out the final game to avoid risking injury were just being overly timid.
I'll bet my bottom dollar that if you took a poll and said the Pats make the playoffs as a 6 seed even though Brady and Gronk sit the entire year but come back in mid season form 1/2 the fan base would take it.

I'm probably in the minority here, but in the unlikely event that Brady is too hurt to play, I think Garrapolo can beat 90% of the teams in this year's crappy AFC bracket. He has no chance vs Pit, but I think he can keep it reasonably close against DEN. I think his accuracy is legit, and he does have a sick sideline touch pass....which is something Brady fails at miserably with those ridiculous vertical go routes to Gronk and Chandler.

Last edited:
He's surely in a walking boot now too. I don't buy this crap that's being floated out there that it's not that bad.

Just an opinion based on how he looked in game and after the presser when he tried getting off the podium.

This looks worse to me than what he played with in the 2007 playoffs.
We'll see. Vs SD he could barely move. Vs NY he wasn't that much better

I'm probably in the minority here, but in the unlikely event that Brady is too hurt to play, I think Garrapolo can beat 90% of the teams in this year's crappy AFC bracket. He has no chance vs Pit, but I think he can keep it reasonably close against DEN. I think his accuracy is legit, and he does have a sick sideline touch pass. something Brady fails at miserably in those ridiculous vertical go routes to Gronk.

Garappolo has never played a playoff game before. Can't throw him in with the wolves and expect him to perform at a high level.

I'm probably in the minority here, but in the unlikely event that Brady is too hurt to play, I think Garrapolo can beat 90% of the teams in this year's crappy AFC bracket. He has no chance vs Pit, but I think he can keep it reasonably close against DEN. I think his accuracy is legit, and he does have a sick sideline touch pass....which is something Brady fails at miserably with those ridiculous vertical go routes to Gronk and Chandler.
Nah, no minority. Don't give it another thought. Just thankful that someone had the balls to suggest Jimmy G. would serve us better than Tom ****ing Brady. I'm thankful you've come into my life. Where is the flippin' arsenic...

I do think that if continuing to play would have made it worse they would have sat him down.

"No idea what you're talking about."

Bill Belichick regarding the injury

@AlbertBreer Per source, Patriots QB Tom Brady has a high ankle sprain. Not an ideal result, but Brady's played through worse in the past.

Despite the injury, which is a tough one, expectation is Tom Brady will be ready to go for the Patriots' playoff opener on Jan. 16.
Good job Bill. :rolleyes:
Bad enough Brady played in a game you really weren't trying all that hard to win, after he's taken a physical beating all season long because of a lousy OL, but after he does sprain his 38 year old ankle you leave him in the game.
Forget about that game of chess Bill because you haven't come close to playing checkers the past 2 months.
Wow has this coaching staff has a bad second half.
Scary thinking about what they'll do in the playoffs given their bizarro moves and thought processes over the past several weeks.

Schefter said it was a mild ankle sprain...dr chao as well.

Does breer have different better sources?
Anyone who saw the media's description of the shape Brady was in after the presser in Miami yesterday was not calling it a mild ankle sprain.

Allow me to explain: They wanted to try to win the game with the guys that they had who were healthy enough to play somewhat decently. That group included Tom Brady. The potential reward was obvious: HFA. It is apparent that another part of the plan was not subjecting Brady to hits, so they ran the ball alot, against the 30th ranked rush defense. The nonsense that they weren't trying to win yesterday (with the guys they had) is absurd.
Seems like Bill's game plan failed every which way it possibly could have doesn't it??
Couldn't run on them, couldn't throw on them and got your QB hurt along the way.
Outstanding!!
Sad part is Jimmy G would have been a far more effective weapon in that game than Brady was because A) Jimmy G is very mobile and can make/extend plays with his legs playing behind that horrid O-line and B) Jimmy G. doesn't carry Brady's binky baggage and will throw to THE OPEN GUY....regardless of who it is.......kinda like Brady used to do.

Last edited:
Rhody I see your in playoff form already, do we get two more weeks of your expert analysis?

Seems like Bill's game plan failed every which way it possibly could have doesn't it??
Couldn't run on them, couldn't throw on them and got your QB hurt along the way.
Outstanding!!
Sad part is Jimmy G would have been a far more effective weapon in that game than Brady was because A) Jimmy G is very mobile and can make/extend plays with his legs playing behind that horrid O-line and B) Jimmy G. doesn't carry Brady's binky baggage and will throw to THE OPEN GUY....regardless of who it is.......kinda like Brady used to do.

No one was getting open. Jimmy would have been sacked half a dozen times assuming he passed at all.

Outstanding!!

Let's start Jimmy G in two weeks time ey? You fricken muppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick