PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking News ESPNEWS: WILLIE MCGINEST TO BROWNS 3 years/$12 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:(

This one sucked. Bigtime.
It is what it is.
And what it is is a heartbreaker.
Goodbye Willie.
Class, Character, Intensity, and Teamsmanship.
You will be missed.
:(

Damn! feels like someone just died!

I wish him well in Cleveland. Great memories - he'll always be a Patriot in my book.

There.

I'll miss him as much as anyone. One of the all-time greatest Pats.

JackBauer said:
Perhaps you need to read a few of these quotes. It's OK to commemorate WMac for what he's done and his legacy as a Patriot. That's clearly not whats being done, here. Just the usual hyperventilating.

I disagree. This big, and it hurts a lot of people. He was one of us for a long time and he will be missed. It is not the usual hyperventilating.

Read a few of what quotes?

MrTibbs said:
Offer from the Patriots? The Patriots NEVER even called him.
Hey we still have Poole

Do you laugh or cry . . . or just shake your head ? I have to admit I'm chuckling right now but may not be in September.

JULIAN PETERSON, LET'S GO.

MrTibbs said:
Offer from the Patriots? The Patriots NEVER even called him.

And how do you know that? Because of Fat Lenny? Give me a break.

CrazyDave said:
I disagree. This big, and it hurts a lot of people. He was one of us for a long time and he will be missed. It is not the usual hyperventilating.

Read a few of what quotes?

First of all, pretty much everyone knew this was coming. If this ACTUALLY hurts anyone, that might be indicative of some deeper issues.

Second, I don't object to anyone missing him. It's just the influx of "Oh, the Patriots are doomed" and "what a horrible offseason" posts that tick me off.

CrazyDave said:
I don't really think that being pissed that a favorite player is gone is the same as whining on and on because we're not making a splash in free agency.
Making repetitive posts telling people to stop whining or whatever is a bit annoying though.

Am I hyperventilating-- yes.

As a Patriot fan, I cant say that this is not frustrating to see players walk. There also seems to be very little communication with these players that helped win multiple Super Bowls. Anyone who is happy about this or does not have a problem with this, must have lower expectations for next season or trusts that this off season will turn out better then I do.( lets remeber that last off season SUCKED when it comes to picking up FA's.

DaBruinz said:
And how do you know that? Because of Fat Lenny? Give me a break.

Unless you have someone that suggests the Patriots made a concerted effort to keep him, then yes, that's what most reasonable people would be inclined to believe.

edit: I think they probably spoke, but no contract was offered or anything like that.

Last edited:
Outside of the SB loss to the Packers and the Rod Rust era this is by far and away the darkest day for me as a Pats fan in recent memory. I suspect it is for a lot of us. This off-season is shaping up to be about as fun as a root canal.

And no I don't hate BB, or think the team is on the wrong track. But today my mind is on one of the finest men, on and off the field, to ever play for this organization.

I'm gonna miss Willie. This one hurts.

JackBauer said:
First of all, pretty much everyone knew this was coming. If this ACTUALLY hurts anyone, that might be indicative of some deeper issues.

Second, I don't object to anyone missing him. It's just the influx of "Oh, the Patriots are doomed" and "what a horrible offseason" posts that tick me off.

Actually, I don't think everyone knew this was comig. Thought it was possible? Sure.
Second- I too am tired of the sky is falling posts. This is not one of them though.

Does this mean we don't have to watch that stupid Pepsi machine commercial anymore?

Thanks for the memories Willie...

p-McGinest-w.jpg

194296.jpg

2560114_superbowl.jpg

CrazyDave said:
Actually, I don't think everyone knew this was comig. Thought it was possible? Sure.
Second- I too am tired of the sky is falling posts. This is not one of them though.

I knew it was coming. And I also know the sky is falling posts were coming. But honestly, that doesn't surprise me.

We lose AV (probably), McGinest and Givens. That's some serious roster carnage. Three pretty big holes to fill.

So in light of that, it's not exactly shocking people are talking about it. I mean one can only get so excited abour re-upping Bam Childress and Hawkins.

I know we lost a few free agents & will lose a couple more. But, as far as I know we still have the best QB and 8 other starters on offense. On defense we have 9 or 10 starters coming back. Plus, there's also 7 picks in the first 5 rounds. So it's not like we have to replace 6 starters and have none of our best players coming back.

I want them to do something before all the good players are gone but not if it's gonna negatively affect the future. We still make the playoffs with our current team and there's plenty of off-season left.

Just think, Jason Fabini will sign any day now. :singing:

WTF!! Unbelievable.

Thank you for all the years Willie.

Goddammit. One of the hearts of the Patriots defense is gone. Lets see how the pom pom wavers spin this one. This team is swirling the bowl right now.

Pats lose McGinest and Givens while signing Hank Poteat and Bam Childress. Yup, order your Super Bowl tickets now.

I cannot believe - except I CAN - how many F-ing people on this thread have 100 or fewer posts. Just get the F out if you can't handle the reality of how the Patriots have been doing business the last 5 years. Get a grip. I'm bummed about McGinest, too, but honestly, you people need to get back to recess and stay there forever.

Now, onto my thoughts on Willie:

I wanted him to retire a Patriot. I think he has at least two more productive years left as a situational pass-rusher.

I will say this - Romeo went after his man. He threw a (relatively) big contract at Willie. 3 years, 12 million. Even with whatever "fake" years are thrown in, that's a sizable chunk. Thing is, to the Browns, that's good value. Willie will bring major intangibles along with his on-field skills.

I can't say I blame the Patriots for not matching that offer, but I would like for them to have done SOMETHING to indicate an interest in one of the all-time great Patriots. I don't know what they're seeing that I'm not, but I watched McGinest have a very solid 2005, culminating in a record-breaking 4-sack performance against Jacksonville in the playoffs. To me that's a guy who still has something to contribute, even in a role-player and leadership in the locker room-type.

I also think that, while it's nice for Willie to get one more decent pay-day, he'll regret petering out at the end of his career, pulling on the orange and brown.

All that said, Congrats to #55. He was a huge part of 3 Super Bowl championships, and I wish him well. Glad the jets didn't get him.

JackBauer said:
Unless you have someone that suggests the Patriots made a concerted effort to keep him, then yes, that's what most reasonable people would be inclined to believe.

How about the same guy - Len P? Insider from back in FEB:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2343094

"It's unlikely New England will pay the $3.5 million bonus and, with negotiations making little or no progress in recent weeks, the Patriots could, regrettably, end the longtime relationship with a player who has seen the lowest lows and the highest highs of the franchise."

It just seems like they had different ideas of what he was worth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case