PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking News ESPNEWS: WILLIE MCGINEST TO BROWNS 3 years/$12 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
scout said:
Does this mean we don't have to watch that stupid Pepsi machine commercial anymore?
He`s our 2ed reciever

borisman said:
I know we lost a few free agents & will lose a couple more. But, as far as I know we still have the best QB and 8 other starters on offense. On defense we have 9 or 10 starters coming back. Plus, there's also 7 picks in the first 5 rounds. So it's not like we have to replace 6 starters and have none of our best players coming back.

I want them to do something before all the good players are gone but not if it's gonna negatively affect the future. We still make the playoffs with our current team and there's plenty of off-season left.

Just think, Jason Fabini will sign any day now. :singing:
he is as old as willie

Jacky Roberts said:
Goddammit. One of the hearts of the Patriots defense is gone. Lets see how the pom pom wavers spin this one. This team is swirling the bowl right now.

Pats lose McGinest and Givens while signing Hank Poteat and Bam Childress. Yup, order your Super Bowl tickets now.

I would like to use this post as evidence of what I was talking about.

Jacky Roberts said:
Goddammit. One of the hearts of the Patriots defense is gone. Lets see how the pom pom wavers spin this one. This team is swirling the bowl right now.

Pats lose McGinest and Givens while signing Hank Poteat and Bam Childress. Yup, order your Super Bowl tickets now.

More like Boston's Ambassador to the Chicken Little Club. We you one of the people lamenting the loss of Todd Rucci, Max Lane and Chris Slade? How did that turn out for the Pats? Were you also whining about Lawyer Milloy? What happened there?

1) I agree, losing McGinest stinks, but myself and others have said this looks to be somewhat of a transistion year for the Pats. I still expect the Pats to put a very competative team on the field.

2) Willie, David, and the others are replacable. Don't forget that it wasn't that long ago that the Pats had a no-name DE/OLB lining up opposite Willie and people were complaining about that. BTW, that "No-Name" was Mike Vrabel.

3) David Givens reminds me of David Patten with his attitude. Both thought they had #1 WR potential. Truth be told, neither of them has it. David can feel he was being under-untilized in the Pats defense, but David had a few key drops last year.

Also, its March 14. Why are you acting like the Pats are going to be last in the league? Part 1 of free agency is still on-going. The Draft and Part 2 of Free Agency hasn't happened yet. Neither has training camp. There is still plenty of time for this team to take shape and to be acting like any team is
the favorite for the SB shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of football.

JackBauer said:
I would like to use this post as evidence of what I was talking about.

Go right ahead. I agree wholeheartedly with you, and with DaBruinz in saying some people just don't get it. Period.

DaBruinz said:
More like Boston's Ambassador to the Chicken Little Club. We you one of the people lamenting the loss of Todd Rucci, Max Lane and Chris Slade? How did that turn out for the Pats? Were you also whining about Lawyer Milloy? What happened there?

1) I agree, losing McGinest stinks, but myself and others have said this looks to be somewhat of a transistion year for the Pats. I still expect the Pats to put a very competative team on the field.

2) Willie, David, and the others are replacable. Don't forget that it wasn't that long ago that the Pats had a no-name DE/OLB lining up opposite Willie and people were complaining about that. BTW, that "No-Name" was Mike Vrabel.

3) David Givens reminds me of David Patten with his attitude. Both thought they had #1 WR potential. Truth be told, neither of them has it. David can feel he was being under-untilized in the Pats defense, but David had a few key drops last year.

Also, its March 14. Why are you acting like the Pats are going to be last in the league? Part 1 of free agency is still on-going. The Draft and Part 2 of Free Agency hasn't happened yet. Neither has training camp. There is still plenty of time for this team to take shape and to be acting like any team is
the favorite for the SB shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of football.

Transition year? This is a Super Bowl team. Why dismantle it now? Look what Tennessee has done. Who do you think the Pats are going to replace him with? Just wait until they lose Vinatieri. Outside of Brady, McGinest may have been their best playoff performer in Pats history who is coming off a great year. I wonder how Pats such as Seymour and Branch feel today. Personally I'm disgusted. They should just put "Pat Patriot" back on the helmet and get it over with.

patsox23 said:
I cannot believe - except I CAN - how many F-ing people on this thread have 100 or fewer posts. Just get the F out if you can't handle the reality of how the Patriots have been doing business the last 5 years. Get a grip. I'm bummed about McGinest, too, but honestly, you people need to get back to recess and stay there forever.

Now, onto my thoughts on Willie:

I wanted him to retire a Patriot. I think he has at least two more productive years left as a situational pass-rusher.

I will say this - Romeo went after his man. He threw a (relatively) big contract at Willie. 3 years, 12 million. Even with whatever "fake" years are thrown in, that's a sizable chunk. Thing is, to the Browns, that's good value. Willie will bring major intangibles along with his on-field skills.

I can't say I blame the Patriots for not matching that offer, but I would like for them to have done SOMETHING to indicate an interest in one of the all-time great Patriots. I don't know what they're seeing that I'm not, but I watched McGinest have a very solid 2005, culminating in a record-breaking 4-sack performance against Jacksonville in the playoffs. To me that's a guy who still has something to contribute, even in a role-player and leadership in the locker room-type.

I also think that, while it's nice for Willie to get one more decent pay-day, he'll regret petering out at the end of his career, pulling on the orange and brown.

All that said, Congrats to #55. He was a huge part of 3 Super Bowl championships, and I wish him well. Glad the jets didn't get him.

My good man get a grip.
I'm tired of the Whole Chicken little thing (My 9 yr old daughter thinks it's cute), but I'm not going over the deep end over it.
But you have to admit with the Pats 20 Million over the Cap. YES 20 MILLION you have to wonder what the hell BB & Scott are thinking and in all honesty as of today 15 mar 2006 @1720 this team is in worse shape than they were last year. Can they make it better? Sure but it's gonna take more than the Monty Beisel's, Chad Brown's and Duane Starks of the world to get it done. You see a system is great but you gotta have the proper peolpe in place to make the system work.

Jacky Roberts said:

yeah, because Belichick and Pioli have no idea what they're doing. Good take.

cdillon28 said:
as of today 15 mar 2006 @1720

You're proving our point.

Last time I checked, the season doesn't begin in April. Try SEPTEMBER.

Last edited:
It is sad to see Willie McGinest leave, but this just offers oportunities to other players. Can Beisel step up and play ILB and move Vrabel back outside? Or is TBC finally ready to play OLB? The only real tragedy here is that we had to cut McGinest so we won't get a compensation pick for him in next year's draft.

Pats67 said:
yeah, because Belichick and Pioli have no idea what they're doing. Good take.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. The last time we saw the 'dynamic duo' in action, they were signing busts Monty Beisel and Chad Brown. The rest of this offseason is going to go a long way in defining the "genius".

Jacky Roberts said:
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. The last time we saw the 'dynamic duo' in action, they were signing busts Monty Beisel and Chad Brown. The rest of this offseason is going to go a long way in defining the "genius".

Right. Belichick and Pioli haven't proved anything.

Wow.

JackBauer said:
My God. How many days are we into FA. How much cap room do we have.

We could have kept McGinest. We did not. Obviously, the coaches feel his best days are behind him (I'm inclined to agree).

Stop whining!

Jack,

Right on. I guess I never realized just how many infantile little Chicken Littles there really are masquerading as Patriots fans. When they were kids, apparently not that long ago, they nmust have really sulked and whined if Momma took their toy rattle away from them.

Jacky Roberts said:
Transition year? This is a Super Bowl team. Why dismantle it now? Look what Tennessee has done. Who do you think the Pats are going to replace him with? Just wait until they lose Vinatieri. Outside of Brady, McGinest may have been their best playoff performer in Pats history who is coming off a great year. I wonder how Pats such as Seymour and Branch feel today. Personally I'm disgusted. They should just put "Pat Patriot" back on the helmet and get it over with.
It might be a good time to note that if these mouthbreathers had been running the show these last six years, there wouldn't have been one single world championship. Not one playoff game. Not one winning record. There would have been no Tom Brady, no Richard Seymour, no Deion Branch, no nothing. Just quiet, moth-ridden incompetance, dozens of ignominious losses, and empty, empty seats.

Take this into consideration as you suffer through the hundreds of breath-holding, feet-stamping posts that are sure to follow. These people couldn't manage a meat market, yet they claim to know better than the two most successful executives in the history of the franchise, and in fact, the league itself.

Last edited:
Snapper said:
Right. Belichick and Pioli haven't proved anything.

Wow.

The last two offseasons have been awful, can you admit that? Drafts have been great, but their FA signings have been brutal. Come to think of it, maybe they shouldn't sign anyone this offseason.

Jacky Roberts said:
Honest to God, man, promise when the Red Sox start up, you'll go back to calling WEEI and logging on to Steve Silva's site and leave this poor message board alone. We'll see your front running ass back here next January when you jump back in yet another pathetic attempt to associate your lame self with another champion.

Jacky Roberts said:

When you actually learn about the Salary Cap, please let me know. I think you might have something to offer then.

Let's speculate a little here. Maybe they're earmarking the money toward keeping Seymour and Branch, and maybe Koppen as well. They know they're going to lose some players, but try to prioritize what ones they want to keep. Yeah, losing Givens, McGinest and maybe Vinatieri is gonna hurt. But maybe losing them will help prevent losing Seymour, Branch and Koppen next year.

So my question to the doubters is which do you prefer: losing McGinest this year or losing Seymour next year?

And a fat lot of faith three Super Bowl wins built up in you, ahem, "fans". First sign of trouble and you bolt. Bolt then. Get off the bandwagon. Go root for the March champion Redskins.

DaBruinz said:
When you actually learn about the Salary Cap, please let me know. I think you might have something to offer then.
I doubt it. Some people are just dumb bastards, and there is nothing you can do for them.

These guys have to leave at some point, it has to happen. BB is moving on, and is not an overpaying sentimental type. He doesn't pretend to be and the players know it. He moves on, and they move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes