PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Tate -Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Take away those 2 TD runs he had early in the year...what's his average then? I don't recall him breaking loose once after those runs.

Exactly, try calculating his KR average over the last 10-12 weeks, I think you'll find that he's in the bottom 5 in the AFC.

His position on the outside in the offense as a starter and his spot as our primary KR, need to be upgraded through FA or the draft.

He is not bad just under used. I am think the OC is to be blamed. We very rarely run plays where he is the first read. Every game now we run a few where TE are first reads but never the 3 WR.He can run but is an after thought in this offence. They do not even throw at him regularly to keep the coverage honest. Tom looks at tate when everyone is covered .

Tom does not throw him enough.It might sound good to say he finds the open guy bit if tate is 4th or 5th option how the heck is going to develop when he thrown 2-3 balls a game.

Last edited:
Take away those 2 TD runs he had early in the year...what's his average then? I don't recall him breaking loose once after those runs.

21.9 yards per attempt I believe which would have ranked him 28th.

I thought so, thanks for doing the calculation........

To be honest, I was surprised that BB didn't replace Tate with Edelman alot earlier based on the non-production from Tate week after week as the primary KR.

What about a break down of any missed blocks on his returns, and blah blah blah. We could do this all day. Bottom line, he's young, and none of us are scouts in the NFL. I'll give the kid another year, and see if he improves.

Last edited:
I thought so, thanks for doing the calculation........

To be honest, I was surprised that BB didn't replace Tate with Edelman alot earlier based on the non-production from Tate week after week as the primary KR.

Maybe Bill doesnt think he sucks as much as you do :rolleyes:

The patience for player development in this forum is at an all time low. Really unbelievable.
I'll give Tate another year and wait to see his development in the 2011 NFL Season.

What about a break down of any missed blocks on his returns, and blah blah blah. We could do this all day. Bottom line, he's young, and none of us are scouts in the NFL. I'll give the kid another year, and see if he improves.

If you want to do that be my guest! There isn't any need to be so defensive, I'm not saying Tate sucks or he doesn't I was just giving information.

If you want to do that be my guest! There isn't any need to be so defensive, I'm not saying Tate sucks or he doesn't I was just giving information.

Im not being defensive. Atleast, not with you. My comment was meant for the others. You know, the 'every player is a bust in their 2nd year' crowd :D

Last edited:
He is not bad just under used. I am think the OC is to be blamed. We very rarely run plays where he is the first read. Every game now we run a few where TE are first reads but never the 3 WR.He can run but is an after thought in this offence. They do not even throw at him regularly to keep the coverage honest. Tom looks at tate when everyone is covered .

Tom does not throw him enough.It might sound good to say he finds the open guy bit if tate is 4th or 5th option how the heck is going to develop when he thrown 2-3 balls a game.

To me, this is the main reason why Tate has not produced more this year.
Its tough to see on tv, but in most of the home games there always seemed to be about 2-3 times each game where Tate would be completely wide open yet Brady wouldn't throw or even look his way. Now sometimes Brady's first or second read may have been open as well, but there were also times where he would force a throw or dump it off even though Tate would be ten yards down field with no one near him waving his arms trying to get his attention.

Now I'm not saying that he was always open. All I'm saying is that it appeared he could've had ~5-10 more catches. Even still, 24 catches for 432 yds and 3 tds isn't bad at all for a WR essentially in his rookie year who was usually the 4th or 5th target. It also shouldn't get him compared to Bethel Johnson because his one season outproduced Johnson's 30 catches for 450 yds and 3 tds over three seasons.

I'll give Tate another year and wait to see his development in the 2011 NFL Season.

But you cannot depend on him to be the teams #3 WR. The Patriots need to go out and get another WR

This is the same song and dance we heard about BGJE the last two years. Everyone here thought he was just a JAG and he wouldn't even make the 53. Now that BB gave him a chance with game time reps, he has shown to be legit. Let's not jump to conclusions so fast. He has potential as it was displayed on that diving TD catch. No one knows Tate better than BB. Obviously he is better than both Patton and Holt

I don't know if you give the guy another year as a starter because there are plenty of other options now and we could wind up in the same situation next season.

This is the same song and dance we heard about BGJE the last two years. Everyone here thought he was just a JAG and he wouldn't even make the 53. Now that BB gave him a chance with game time reps, he has shown to be legit. Let's not jump to conclusions so fast. He has potential as it was displayed on that diving TD catch. No one knows Tate better than BB. Obviously he is better than both Patton and Holt

Why is he better than Patten and Holt?

Patten retired and Holt was injured.....Patten was never gonna make the team but I think Holt would have made a bigger impact than Tate.

And I'm still trying to figure out where that "just a JAG" label came from.

Remember in 2008 when the Patriots were basically down to Law Firm, Faulk, and Evans? He did quite respectably then. . . .

[Besides, if you REALLY want to talk JAGs, remember Amos Zereoue?]

I was one of the few who thought BGJE would do well if given the chance. The S··· I took on this forum was unbelievable. "He wont make the team", "Just a JAG", ect...ect.. I saw a few people man up after after he gave NE their first 1000 yard season since Dillon. I am sticking up for Tate because I believe he can be that WR if given more of a chance. I have seen many times when he was wide open but not thrown at. This was his real first year. It wasn´t his fault we lost this game. We are a best team in the NFL as we shown this year by blowing out every Playoff team. We scored 518 points, far more than anyone else and that includes the team with both TO and OCHO. We posted a 14-2 record which was far more than anyone expected. Tom Brady and the team laid an egg on Sunday but that doesn´t translate into revamping what was not broke. If we were to play the Jets again, I have more than enough faith that we could win with Tate. I will man up and eat crow if Tate doesn´t make the team and I expect the same for those Tate bashers

Last edited:
But you cannot depend on him to be the teams #3 WR. The Patriots need to go out and get another WR

In reality, he may be the #3 WR, but the #3 WR is the 6th Receiving option.

WR1, WR2, TE1, TE2, RB1.

Having Tate, Price, Edelman as our low-end receivers is fine for me.

All have talent.

And I can't believe mgteich compared Tate's production to Edelman.

Aiken was 3rd option, Tate was 6th, maybe 7th behind Benny.

Would I like a guy like Megatron/Fitz etc. Yes. But the chances in it happening is low.

Would I like Ocho Cinco? Maybe, but he'd be on the same leash as Moss. You play until you begin to diminish and become an ass. Then you're gone.

If Randy Moss lost both of his hands I'd still take him over Tate

Guy is absolutely terrible at playing wide receiver

If Randy Moss lost both of his hands I'd still take him over Tate

Guy is absolutely terrible at playing wide receiver
In his first full season after 2 years out.

He made some tremendous catches and showed some great freelance plays with Brady as the year went on.

He's got a knack of getting open like Ben Watson but if Brady doesn't trust you, you're screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back