PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks: The next Percy Harvin?

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So I was thinking about the draft and looking at some prospects when it hit me. We've all been talking about obvious needs such as DT and TE. But there's also a not so obvious need.

If for example Amendola gets traded and we don't resign Julian Edelman. We've got a huge freaking problem at WR. Who would be left - Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Josh Boyce. All previously rookies. Also we'd have a big hole at kick returner with the departure of Edelman. And keeping him is no guarantee at this point.

And then I stumbled upon Brandin Cooks. What do I see? An explosive playmaker on the field, but undersized. But very quick, speedy, and elusive. He makes people miss, and he has another gear. He could be the next Percy Harvin.

A guy who can make big plays in the return game and from the slot. The next super-smurf. What team is famous for making super-smurfs super-productive in their system? Why New England of course.

Brandin Cooks Ultimate 2013-14 Highlights - YouTube

And then I took a look at what Brandin Cooks did at the Combine:

4.33 40 yard dash*
36" VJ
120" BJ
6.76 3 cone
3.81 20 yd shuttle*
10.72 60 yd shuttle*

*Top performer at combine
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Brandin Cooks

This guy is not just a great playmaker on the field, he's an elite athlete with outstanding agility and speed numbers. His explosion numbers are more than adequate as well.

Can we picture for a moment, a guy who is as quick as Welker, as elusive as Hernandez, but as speedy as Randy Moss? The only thing Cooks lacks is size. But for us he'd be like a supercharged Deion Branch or Welker. Wouldn't that be a good thing? I think Josh McDaniels would find a way to use a weapon like Cooks!

So here's the new plan, take advantage of the fact that there is a surplus of good receivers in this year's draft. Take advantage of the fact that teams will be taking players based more on SIZE than athletic ability/speed. Then you grab Cooks in round 2, and watch him torture NFL defenses for the next 4 years plus in a New England jersey.

I still want a DT. I still want a TE. I still want a S. But I also think I want Brandin Cooks. The next Percy Harvin, but this time playing for the good guys. Brady will LOVE his new toy!!

Looking forward to your response and opinions.

More game film on Cooks to peruse:
Brandin Cooks | Draft Breakdown

Harvin is taller and stouter than Cooks. Beckham is more similar, but neither have Harvin's thick RB-like build.

Boyce actually has similar combine numbers to Harvin, but he needs to improve his vertical.

I tend to watch prospect comparing them to current or former Patriots. I was looking at Cooks as a young Deion Branch so the Steve Smith comparison works for me. Cooks can play inside or out and stress the defense at all levels.

Peter King thinks that Cooks is a strong option to go to the Jets at #18 so he might be long gone by the Pats pick.

Personally, unless Mike Evans takes a big tumble I have no interest in any WR early in this draft. We already have a lot of youth and potential at the position and history shows that a rookie WR is very unlikely to have an impact in their first year. Give the guys we already have a chance to develop and use our resources in other areas. If we did go for a WR early I want something we don't already have, a physical outside presence that can fight for the ball. While someone like Cooks or Beckham are more explosive than what we already have, I don't think they offer enough of an all around upgrade to warrant a high pick.

Cooks and Beckham are by far the most interesting of the early (top 40) WRs to me. Both have elite explosiveness and movement skills, and can stress a defense in many, many ways. I'd probably take either over Tavon Austin, who went #8 overall last year.

- Austin: 5' 8 1/2" 174#; explosiveness = 32" VJ + 10' BJ + 14 BP = 56; mobility = 4.28 40 + 1.50 10-split + 4.01 SS = 9.79 with no 3-cone recorded. A 3-cone of 7.2 or less would have put him in the excellent range, and less than 6.95 in the elite range - well within reach. This is consistent with what I see on film - a guy with tremendous mobility. I'm not sure he is that explosive.

- Cooks: 5' 9 3/4" 189#; explosiveness = 36" VJ + 10 BJ + 16 BP = 62; mobilty = 4.33 40 + 1.51 10-split + 3.82 SS + 6.76 3C = 16.42 (freakish).

So Cooks has almost identical straight line speed, and a little better lateral agility and explosiveness, in a sturdier frame.

- Beckham: 5 11 1/4" 198#; explosiveness = 38.5" VJ + 10'2" BJ + 7 CP = 55; 4.43 40 + 1.53 10-split + 3.94 SS + 6.69 3C = 16.59 (elite).

Beckham looks the most explosive from a lower body perspective (throw out the bench press for WRs) and has unreal lateral mobility, but a tad less straight line speed, in a slightly bigger package.

The interesting comparison for me is these 2 guys:

1. Michael Campanaro: 5' 9 3/8" 192#; explosiveness = 39" VJ + 10'2" BJ + 20 BP = 69; mobility = 4.46 40 + 1.53 10-split + 4.01 SS + 6.77 3C = 16.77 (borderline elite). So Campanara has a touch less straight line speed than even Beckham, but uncanny agility and the most explosiveness of the group.

2. Josh Boyce (2013): 5' 11 1/8" 206#; explosiveness = 34" VJ + 10'11" BJ + 22 BP = 66-67 (the BJ is almost 11'); mobility = 4.34 40 + 1.54 10-split + 4.1 SS + 6.68 3C = 16.66 (elite).

While athleticism isn't everything, Boyce matches up pretty darn well with the big buys, and Michael Campanaro will be available much latter than Cooks or Beckham. Obviously there are a lot of other factors, but it's something to think about.

If we did go for a WR early I want something we don't already have, a physical outside presence that can fight for the ball. While someone like Cooks or Beckham are more explosive than what we already have, I don't think they offer enough of an all around upgrade to warrant a high pick.

Preach Brother Wilfork.

My favorite part of Cooks collegiate career was that he was clearly the best weapon on an average team in a major conference and game planned for every single week yet no one could slow him down. Cooks was no secret in the PAC 12 and he continued to put up dominate performances. I think the Patriots have more pressing needs but I love this kid.

You won't get any argument from me on Brandin Cooks, I've liked him a lot since I spent so much time watching last years favourite Markus Wheaton. I would have no problems taking a WR in the first round if it's Cooks or Beckham.

I've said repeatedly that I like Cooks and Beckham. Would take either one in the 1st. It looks like both will be gone by the time it's our pick anyway. The Jets and Chiefs are crying out for more offensive weapons, while the Panthers could also take a look.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back