PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks unhappy - should Bill bring Cookie back?

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Was reading this article from the feed up top and did a little digging:

Looks like Cooks is unhappy about the Ingram trade, but there have been signs for a while he's not very happy in Houston. Well, a lot of players aren't happy there.

Based on a few other tweets I've read and my own (probably shoddy) cap math, I think a trade for Cooks would only cost around $1.5 million or thereabout this year. The tough part is that next year his salary is $12.5M with a sub-$1M roster bonus and $500K in per-game roster bonuses. Should total out at around a $13.5M cap hit next year.

Now, that's a decently sized chunk of cap, but if you consider it as a two-year deal, it's more like 2 years/$15M which is more than fair for Cooks (IMO) who is only 28 years old and still very fast. The Pats are still trying to figure out if Agholor is gonna work out as their deep threat guy, and Cooks already knows the offense and is a guy teams are needing to defend over the top in Houston. The key question I suppose is what Houston would want in return. But figured I'd see what other people thought of the idea. Bring Cookie Back?

Yep. Do it

The five pas-catchers on the team (counting the TEs, not counting the RBs) are already only seeing a few targets per game, so the question becomes how often would they even look his way?

The contract is certainly reasonable, but who are you pushing aside?

The five pas-catchers on the team (counting the TEs, not counting the RBs) are already only seeing a few targets per game, so the question becomes how often would they even look his way?

The contract is certainly reasonable, but who are you pushing aside?
Harry. We can spread the ball even more, but there's a roster spot for Cooks to be made.

A cheap late round draft pick? Sure, and who cares about next year, just decline the option if he doesn’t renegotiate. It’s a late pick. Much different story if they have to give up a 2nd like they did for Sanu in 2019 and then cut him prior to opening day 2020; then you start thinking about that contract…..

If we beat the Chargers this Sunday, go for it. If we don't, I'm not sure we should be big buyers at the deadline. Let the rebuild process play out in that case. But if we beat LA to go 4-4, we're legit in the playoff hunt and Cooks would help.

Maybe have to re trade him again in the off season but I’m for it. Getting Damiere Byrd back from the Bears may be more realistic though.

If the Texans make Cooks available, then there should be "2021 or bust" teams with rough cap situations that should be valuing him significantly more than the Patriots. The Packers come to mind, with their #2 WR averaging 2 catches for 26 yards per game in likely Rogers' last year with the team.

Harry. We can spread the ball even more, but there's a roster spot for Cooks to be made.
How Bourne would react if he is being pushed to the 4th receiver spot? Don’t think he will be happy. That could impact the locker room.

If the Texans make Cooks available, then there should be "2021 or bust" teams with rough cap situations that should be valuing him significantly more than the Patriots. The Packers come to mind, with their #2 WR averaging 2 catches for 26 yards per game in likely Rogers' last year with the team.

Yeah, the pick compensation is a big factor here. If someone (like GB) wants to outbid everyone and give up a first or something silly, I don't want the Pats trying to match that. Cooks is good, I like him, and he's definitely better than Harry, but there's also a reason he's bounced around the league as much as he has. You don't break the bank for him, but for a reasonable price, he's an upgrade.

4th receivers aren't really in the mix, and even less so with a team that will run 2 TEs. Harry is being used to block, certainly not in the role for Cooks.

No on eon the Pats is seeing 8 balls a game, let alone the 10-12 most #1s see.

How Bourne would react if he is being pushed to the 4th receiver spot? Don’t think he will be happy. That could impact the locker room.

He wouldn't be though.

Cooks would be taking Agholor's spot, the speedy outside receiver that stretches the field, opening up slants for bourne and medium range stuff for Meyers.

They should have traded for him already, IMO. So yeah… count me in.

He wouldn't be though.

Cooks would be taking Agholor's spot, the speedy outside receiver that stretches the field, opening up slants for bourne and medium range stuff for Meyers.
And what does the guy you're paying $11/per for two years do?

yeah, that wouldn't destroy the locker room or anything, right?

I don’t know where he fits because while he’s probably an upgrade over a couple of receivers he doesn’t really plug any holes like a pure slot guy would.

He wouldn't be though.

So you just gave the reason why Bill will not trade for Cooks. Cooks role is already filled by a player Bill chose and decided to pay 12M a year.

Cooks is a definite upgrade on Agholar.
Also having two receivers threatening the big play will open the middle and short stuff right up.
You would see Mac throw for a 100 yds more a game and this would open the run by preventing the defense from stacking against the run.

More I think about it I would give up 2 mid round picks and or a player.

Still capable of putting up 1000 yards and 5-6 TDs. Definitely worth it at a good price.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back