PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

branch traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
TomBradyWoot said:
I know some of you are thrilled to see Deion go, but I'm not. I still feel like this could have been resolved. Eventually we're going to have to pay someone not named Seymour or Brady. With all this cap room why not pay Deion?

Because he was still under contract and he was acting like a little b1tch.

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
Or the team called Reiss before they sent out a press release because he's their mouthpiece and this is what he gets in return. Did you ever think of that? Seriously, this is a huge story that the beat writers have been all over. How do you think Reiss got it before everyone else? Did he name a source? No, because that source is the Patriots PR Department. You know, I don't even mind how he does it. I just mind that none of you will admit that's what is going on when it's so obvious.

Jealous???????

It's nice to have at least a few local writers
who identify with the team
the way their readers do.
Helps circulation, too.

btw ... i think Seattle got the better of the deal
and Leion and Chayut won ... going away (so to speak).

So who are the likely WRs to make a run at? With this extra first round pick, it wouldn't surprise me if we traded for some big name receiver. Oh what am I saying? It would surprise the hell out of me if we traded for a big name receiver. :D

fillylabinga said:
Who else thinks the NFL league office got involved here to get this deal done?

The precident was set with T.O.

The theory would be that the league was afraid that the outcome of arbitration would favor the players--that a player could determine his own value and force a trade whenever he wanted to.

Deion decided how much he thought he was worth, found a team willing to pay him that, and then decided the compensation that Seattle should have to give up (and the Pats would receive) in order to get him.

This would turn the league on its head and was simply too dangerous for the league to let this go forward.

No question the league leaned on the Pats here to do a deal and avoid the spectre of dealing with Kessler and the other antitrust lawyers. If it weren't for that, we'd have held out for more.

I also think that by getting Gabriel for a 5th, it made it easier to lower our demands a little. Plus he's out of the conference, he's no longer a distraction, and if the season had progressed, his value would to other teams would have decresed.

All things considered, a decent deal.

Va_Pats_Fan said:
What you fail to understand is the NFL is very fluid. Always has been, and always will be. Since the 2001 champ team, there are only a handfull of players left, only 5 short years later. What makes the pats special, and why we (pats fans) have come to realize is that our front office has recognized this, and has adapted thier strategy to account for it. They have built a core of skilled, smart players, and bring iquality players in to raise the level of play to the place where it has to be, to compete on a year over year basis.
Ocassionally, you lose a core vet to the market, as the team puts a value on a position, and a player skill at that position, and sticks to its guns. Does it hurt the pats, in the short term, sure. We will struggle a bit with our passinng game till Jackson and Gabriel get the hang of things, then we'll be back on track. If someone had said 2 years ago that we would lose Branch and Givens, alot of ppl would of said...so what? They didn't have stats to think that they can't be replaced. IMO, they will be replaced. With the rise of Watson, and with the other two recievers coming back online, and a revitalized running game, the slack will be picked up.
Also, we will not be in "salary cap ***" in a few years because of emotional moves vs business rules.

I'd also like to point out that of all the trades this season, I think the pats were the only team to pick up a #1.(and I don't think Branch was the best player traded..) Be it the 31st, 30th, 20th or whatever, it makes us stronger in the long run. Since its probable that we will play deep into the playoffs we were looking at only picking up 1 of the top 50 or so players available, now we will get 2.

Hope this helps.

So Basically, the Pats will never take a step backwards and will do things that the Cowboys, Steelers and 49ers have never been able to do which is maintaine a championship level, because your front office is not capapble of making a mistake and will always, no matter the situation come out on top of every deal?!?!?!

I somehow find it difficult to believe that just becuse the system the Pats use has been a strong one, it's mistake proof. I find it hard to believe that the only two people needed to maintain a SB caliber team is BB and Tom Brady. I think it's been quite a run for the Pats and they have proven to make some great strides given the loses they've sustained over the last 5 seasons, however luck has played more then a little roll in your success and while the strength of your front office is obvious, it's not the only reason for the success.

There comes a point where the ball doesn't bounce your way anymore and players don't step up. Is that this year??? Who knows, but the loses have to take their toll eventually, it's the law of averages!!! Branch was your SB MVP in 04 and there is a reason he was the SB MVP!! Sure Brady throws the ball, but Brdy doesn't run the route, catch the ball or get the YAC yards!! You Pat fans love to give Brady credit, but he doesn't do everything. You can throw the ball perfectly as a QB but you can't make the WR avoid tackles or jams at the LOS. I know Pat fans have grown accustom to winning no matter who is on the field, but to stay on top forever just isn't gonna happen.

Last edited:
It is way premature to be deciding whether or not this was a victory for our team. I guess since analysts need to yap about something, they'll call it today, but I seem to remember how BB was raked over the coals for single-handedly making Buffalo a better team after the Milloy/Bledsoe situation. You had to wait a whole season to see that it was definitely not true, and now, several years later, we all enjoy a good chuckle over it.

Deion could step on the field and get hurt and be out for the rest of the season. That would make us look pretty good. Or he could simply not play very well. OR he could light it up and suddenly turn into Jerry Rice, making us look extremely dumb (somehow I doubt this onem but you never know). OTOH, one of our new WRs, Gabriel or Jackson, could step in and play very well, picking up the slack. There is just no way of knowing right now, or even for the next few weeks.

I never thought this would be resolved....it got way too ugly. I'm also one who is extremely skeptical that having Deion out on the field would have completely changed how poorly we played in yesterday's first half. So I'm happy this is over and that he is nowhere near our conference, or even our time zone anymore, because I am sick of the sight of him.

Alk said:
So who are the likely WRs to make a run at? With this extra first round pick, it wouldn't surprise me if we traded for some big name receiver. Oh what am I saying? It would surprise the hell out of me if we traded for a big name receiver. :D

WR is supposed to be Loaded in the 2007 draft:

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007wrpreview.html

it is also supposed to be a very deep draft for linebackers.....

HMMM, it sounds like the Pats know what they are doing.

I would never overpay for a WR! It is simpley too easy to take them out of the game.

The kid from Georgia Tech is outstanding but he will be gone before the fourth pick

I, unfortunately, am thinking they are looking at picking up a cast off of the Carlos Rodgers mold. That wouldn't be good. They will probably also bring back that guy they picked up off waivers from Buffalo to fillt he roster spot. Because Deion was using a roster spot. It's too bad it had to end this way, but at least it is over.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Or the team called Reiss before they sent out a press release because he's their mouthpiece and this is what he gets in return. Did you ever think of that? Seriously, this is a huge story that the beat writers have been all over. How do you think Reiss got it before everyone else? Did he name a source? No, because that source is the Patriots PR Department. You know, I don't even mind how he does it. I just mind that none of you will admit that's what is going on when it's so obvious.

Ronnie, those mean Patriots still won't talk to you?

Maybe if you were a little nicer.:)

Ron Borges Mom,

Somewhere North of Hell.

FreeTedWilliams said:
WR is supposed to be Loaded in the 2007 draft:

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007wrpreview.html

it is also supposed to be a very deep draft for linebackers.....

HMMM, it sounds like the Pats know what they are doing.

I would never overpay for a WR! It is simpley too easy to take them out of the game.

The kid from Georgia Tech is outstanding but he will be gone before the fourth pick
I would be even more shocked if we drafted a LB in the first round. Hmmm...TE anybody? :D

Goodbye, good riddance and good luck. Time to move on - we have some winning to do.

cstjohn17 said:
Once Gabriel and Jackson are on the field we should be ok, not great but ok. With the balance from the running attack we should still have a good offense.

Aside from being hated by everyone in New England Branch's agent is looking pretty smart. With zero leverage he was able to get his client a 30+ million dollar raise. I am disapointed the Patriots caved, it sets a bad precedent for future holdouts. Basically if you hold your breath long enough you get what you want...

An additional first round pick is nice but based on what I saw this weekend I wouldn't classify this as a victory for the team.

I agree. I am surprised, and disappointed, and sad. I am sad that the relationship between The Holdout and his team, and its fans, had deteriorated so completely. I am sad that someone so obviously talented will not be playing for us again. I am disappointed that The Holdout and his agent never negotiated in good faith. I am disappointed that The Holdout got what he wanted, right now; that his agent got what he wanted, right now; that the NFLPA got what it wanted, right now. But did the New England Patriots get what they wanted, or - more importantly - needed, right now? This is why I am surprised that a trade was made during the season. Even 6 weeks - plus playoffs - of The Holdout would have been better than zero weeks. Am I out of bounds in believing that a 1st round pick could have been had for him as late as Draft Day itself? I also don't buy the premise that we are all better off without this distraction. The HC of the NEP does not become distracted that easily; he dealt with Terry Glenn during the entire 2001 season. (If it's distraction you seek, check out Big Tuna vs. TO vs. Bledsoe vs. Tony Romo. Veeerrry interesting.) Besides, the comparisons between The Holdout and our WRs will continue ALL year long. Get used to it.
I now must root against a team for whom I rooted during the SB; and I will never, ever root for The Holdout again. I hope Santa Claus places him permanently on his Naughty List; and his agent, too. His agent doesn't represent any other NEP players...does he?

Please excuse me now. I need to take a shower.

BigT815 said:
I, unfortunately, am thinking they are looking at picking up a cast off of the Carlos Rodgers mold. That wouldn't be good. They will probably also bring back that guy they picked up off waivers from Buffalo to fillt he roster spot. Because Deion was using a roster spot. It's too bad it had to end this way, but at least it is over.

Since when did BB decide to pickup another CB and play him WR :eek:

Now Charles Rogers may make sense. However it will NEVER happen, reason you ask, one word POSTONS.

a) Look at it this way: It's Draft Day 2002. Pats make a deal: trade their 2002 2nd round pick for a 2007 1st round pick, plus they get the services of a good receiver from 2002-2005 for negligible money!

b) Why do I keep hearing mention about what the Pats could have traded Deion for next year? Wasn't he a free agent come January?

c) Deion, I once liked you, but now you will always smell like bum-bum.

The Twig has been pruned for the good of the tree.

Damn that's poetic.

My dead-to-me list is starting to get pretty long.

brady2brown said:
You are correct, O Wise One. I remember you saying that Chayut could come out of this smelling like a rose. He did get what he wanted for his client.

I'm glad the Patriots did what was best for the Patriots, and didn't try to punish Branch. I think this will work out better for everyone.

I'm glad Deion did sign that 5-year contract in 2002. That contract gave us an extra first rounder. Whoo Hoo!

When he's representing a college prospect he'll be smelling like something to prospective GM's

Kind of like the odor that follows the Postons around.:bricks:

BigT815 said:

He was on the did not report list and did not take a roster spot. They would have to cut someone to sign another WR.

Displaced - Fan said:
I'm not thrilled at all, but I do believe it was the right move.

I actually feel the exact opposite. I am thrilled with the value we received (a steal along the lines of the Bledsoe trade) but I'm not sure its the right thing to do. I'm still hung up on what message it sends to our upcoming FAs who, when unhappy with their contracts, saw DB successfully shoot his way out of town to a Super Bowl contender no less. I really thought BB and Pioli would play hardball and then franchise him next year. Oh well, in BB we trust, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News