PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

branch traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobs My Uncle said:
For those who questioned those of us who were saying that Chayut was doing a brilliant job of representing his client ...... you were wrong.

I actually am surprised the Hawks relinquished and gave up the first for Deion. Kudo's to the Pats brass for holding tight on this one. I still maintain that they seriously blew it in the final analysis but at least they saved face by getting a first for Branch.

At least it's over and done with.

Let's wait until he represents a college client for his first "contract", quotes intended.

Keegs said:
Ok i am going to assume it is a 2007 1st round pick.

Also , what impact does this have on the grievances?? i am assuming it voids them since he was traded?

Wow, hopefully the 9-6 showstopper in Detroit is an indication that Seattle sucks.

I would love to see them go 7-9
Every time I see your signature I think of Big Trouble In Little China.
bigchina4.jpg

feelthepain said:
Who in your WR's is better then Branch??? Do you guy's think this will hurt at all??? There has to come a point were your loses can't be overcome.

What you fail to understand is the NFL is very fluid. Always has been, and always will be. Since the 2001 champ team, there are only a handfull of players left, only 5 short years later. What makes the pats special, and why we (pats fans) have come to realize is that our front office has recognized this, and has adapted thier strategy to account for it. They have built a core of skilled, smart players, and bring iquality players in to raise the level of play to the place where it has to be, to compete on a year over year basis.
Ocassionally, you lose a core vet to the market, as the team puts a value on a position, and a player skill at that position, and sticks to its guns. Does it hurt the pats, in the short term, sure. We will struggle a bit with our passinng game till Jackson and Gabriel get the hang of things, then we'll be back on track. If someone had said 2 years ago that we would lose Branch and Givens, alot of ppl would of said...so what? They didn't have stats to think that they can't be replaced. IMO, they will be replaced. With the rise of Watson, and with the other two recievers coming back online, and a revitalized running game, the slack will be picked up.
Also, we will not be in "salary cap ***" in a few years because of emotional moves vs business rules.

I'd also like to point out that of all the trades this season, I think the pats were the only team to pick up a #1.(and I don't think Branch was the best player traded..) Be it the 31st, 30th, 20th or whatever, it makes us stronger in the long run. Since its probable that we will play deep into the playoffs we were looking at only picking up 1 of the top 50 or so players available, now we will get 2.

Hope this helps.

Chris said:
what still doesnt make sense for me is if we ask for a #1 why not pay him.. they obviously thought he was worth it to warrant the draft choice that high.. i can see the side of not paying him #1 money since he technically isnt one..

Because a first round pick is worth more to this team than paying Deion Branch #1 wide receiver money? Just because we got a first round pick doesn't make Deion a number one receiver, which he isn't.

Great move. I swear, Pioli must have been a huge football video-game player back in his day.

This is exactly how I've played Madden franchise-mode for the past ten years (and yes, kind of like Bill Simmons, I'm WAY too old to still be playing sports video games).

To have the most talent under a salary cap, you draft well, develop your players, and then don't just let them leave through free agency for nothing back. Trade them for picks or for younger, cheaper players. Over a few seasons, you end up with a completely stacked team and comfortable cap space.

Last edited:
Just trying to figure out why this thread was moved - and where it was moved to?

TomBradyWoot said:
I know some of you are thrilled to see Deion go, but I'm not. I still feel like this could have been resolved. Eventually we're going to have to pay someone not named Seymour or Brady. With all this cap room why not pay Deion?

I'm not thrilled at all, but I do believe it was the right move. DB wasn't going to play here unless he was paid WAY more than he was worth. BB stuck to his guns and didn't over pay for a guy who is a #2 WR for most teams.

This allows the team to move on and re-signing other players: Graham, Koppen, TBC, ECT.

There will be some growing pains, as evident in the Bills game. With time I believe we will be a better team with Graibel and Jackson on the field as the season goes on.

Originally Posted by feelthepain:
So basically it's a second round pick. Seattle should finish deep in the playoffs.
_________________________---

You like apples, kiddo?

Last time we had 2 first rounders, we got Vince Wilfork at #21 and Benjamin Watson at #32 in 2004.

Next year, we have 13 draft picks - - 2 in the first round.

The more you think you're getting there, the more the mountain keeps growing out of reach for you.

How you like THEM apples?????

:) :) :)

Miguel said:
I said it at the time when it was announced that Branch was given the right to deal with other teams that Chayut benefited from the announcement. In the end, he was able to get his client what his client wanted - out of New England with a big contract. Playing on the SB runnerup is just the cherry on the top.

Well everyone says this but no one offers any alternative. What options did we have. Pay him a kings ransom and destroy our ability to control the cap in the future or force the issue and get it over with.

BB made the right decision for the team ,,,,,,force the issue and make the trade this year instead of next....

Branch had a lot more value now then after he had sat out ten games.

I believe BB knew this would end the way it did when they announced that Branch could seek a trade and he was right.

So while Branch got what he wanted so did we....a FIRST ROUNDER only this year instead of next.
'

Two weeks ago I would have been shocked and disappointed.

Now, I'm glad that he's gone and we got a #1 for him. I'm very glad that he went to Seattle instead of the Jest. We don't have to see him but once every 4 years instead of 2X per year.

Everything worked out fine.

Wherever the pick ends up being, having two #1s is always a good thing. It is hard to believe it actually came to this, however.

Richter said:
Except Darrel Jackson is playing on a gimpy knee, Burleson hasn't figured out the offense and they let Steve Hutchinson get away, who was their second best player behind Walter Jones (yes, he's better than Alexander and Hasselbeck). I'm not exactly shaking in my boots over the mighty Seahawks offense just yet.

Exactly, Seattle is hurting and Deon is not the answer. A piece of the answer maybe, but not the answer. If Hasselbeck is on his ass Deion isn't going to save them. Without a solid #2 and #3 Deion isn't going to save them. And if Alexander struggles under the weight of his new deal in the wake of Hutchinson's loss as well, Deion isn't going to save them.

And whether or not this works out for Deion will not really be known for a while. If he doesn't live up to the hype and Seattle struggles what he sees of that money may be scant comfort - he'd have seen it here eventually anyway, and if they decide he's as good a fall guy as any should the finger pointing start between the HC and the guy who replaced him as GM - he will likely end up just another one of Tommy's friends who end up no happier getting out of here.

GJAJ15 said:
Not surprised at this, not surprised that Reiss got the news first and reported it first... Felger and Borges must be taking the day off.

Or the team called Reiss before they sent out a press release because he's their mouthpiece and this is what he gets in return. Did you ever think of that? Seriously, this is a huge story that the beat writers have been all over. How do you think Reiss got it before everyone else? Did he name a source? No, because that source is the Patriots PR Department. You know, I don't even mind how he does it. I just mind that none of you will admit that's what is going on when it's so obvious.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Or the team called Reiss before they sent out a press release because he's their mouthpiece and this is what he gets in return. Did you ever think of that? Seriously, this is a huge story that the beat writers have been all over. How do you think Reiss got it before everyone else? Did he name a source? No, because that source is the Patriots PR Department. You know, I don't even mind how he does it. I just mind that none of you will admit that's what is going on when it's so obvious.
iam sure alan greenberg will ask BB that in the press conference.:)

I'm Ron Borges? said:

Spoiled grapes I smell.

Reiss rocks.

R

I'm Ron Borges? said:

I don't see what you mean as far as a mouthpiece for the org. He just reports what happens when it happens. I see very little spin in Reiss's stuff. It's not like he's reporting with a pro-FO bias. As I see it he just REPORTS events, he doesn't spin in one direction or the other.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

That he outhustles you each and everyday......and that we appreciate him for it?

That we pity you for probably being the third rate jealous inked stained wretch that you are?

That what he does and what ProJo did yesterday with their new blogging system means that fat-arsed writers are goingto have to actually exercise and get themselves into shape to more quickly get to stories and be on the ball 24/7?

OK, I'll admit the obvious.

----Yeah Woodward and Bernstein stunk - - they just got handed that story by Deep Throat!

any news on what the new contract will be for DB???? I will be interested in what he gets (guarenteed money vs back loaded) What do you want to bet that the real value of the contract isn't far from the pats offer that was never countered:cool:

A bad precedent maybe, but i'm thrilled they got rid of this egomaniac.

I hope his contract is incentive laden. He'll see how tough it is to play without Brady. On the other hand I think Seattle is indoor and maybe that'll work for him.

But a first round pick. Wow. That's great.

A bad precedent maybe, but i'm thrilled they got rid of this egomaniac.

I hope his contract is incentive laden. He'll see how tough it is to play without Brady. On the other hand I think Seattle is indoor and maybe that'll work for him.

But a first round pick. Wow. That's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back