PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch still loves BB, would love to be back (el mergio)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "I would love to be back" - Deion Branch

I'm not acting like that, and that's not the case. I'm accurately portraying the fact that contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL, and owners can terminate them at any point. The fact that the signing bonus is guaranteed is irrelevant. Owners have the freedom to get out of bad contracts, players do not. That's all my point is.

Players do have the freedom to refuse to report and hold out, which is exactly what Branch did. I don't like what he did, but it was a business decision, just as it is when the Pats forced Wilfork to accept another year on the end of his rookie contract.

his direct quote is: "To this day, I still talk with half of the guys that were on the team with me."

the fact that they are not still on the pats is not really relavent, his is talking about the players on the team when he left the pats. So he could be talking to Givens, Brushci, Graham, etc, who are not presently on the team but on the team when he played with us . . .

"I still talk with half of the team."

PFT attributes the above quote to him. That is where I got it. I am trying to find the link.

Last edited:
14/52 is half the team? Oh ok.

Nope, but it's not the three that you cited either. And I really, really doubt that he made a list prior to making that statement to make sure that he was, in fact, talking to no less than 26 guys. If that's the lengths that you have to go to to 'get' him, then you really need to let it go.

And the exact quote, from the Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...itself-to-come-back-i-would-love-to-be-there/) is:

"I still talk with half of the team. To this day, I still talk with half of the guys that were on the team with me."

Clearly, he's talking about the teams that he was on, so it's a moot point anyways.

Last edited:
Who cares how many guys he actually keeps in touch with? What does that matter? in any case it didn't sound like he meant current patriots. This offseason is starting out pretty hard on some of you guys eh?

" Originally Posted by DaBruinz
So he's already lying his arse off about not wanting to leave... If there was ANY truth to that, he wouldn't have skipped all those workouts, his agent would have bargained in good faith and Meion wouldn't have forced the trade the way he did.

Screw Deion.. The Pats don't need his arse.."

10-4 on that, he can /j,kvhca;cuvih off for all I care, he held the team hostage and didn't honor his contract, forcing us to deal him because he needed to eat :rolleyes:...he blows, and he had a hand in the Pats losing and Frankenhead winning a SB.

F$$$ Meion the loser.

Let's look at a couple trends for you twig lovers:

2006: 13 starts in 14 games, averaged 13.7 yards/rec.
2007: 11 starts in 11 games, averaged 13.5 yards/rec.
2008: 8 starts in 8 games, averaged 13.7 yards/rec.
2009: 5 starts in 14 games, averaged 9.7 yards/rec.

In his four seasons with NE he averaged 11.4, 14.1, 13, & 12.8 - so one of his seasons isn't quite like the others, guess which one?

Let's look at a couple trends for you twig lovers:

2006: 13 starts in 14 games, averaged 13.7 yards/rec.
2007: 11 starts in 11 games, averaged 13.5 yards/rec.
2008: 8 starts in 8 games, averaged 13.7 yards/rec.
2009: 5 starts in 14 games, averaged 9.7 yards/rec.

In his four seasons with NE he averaged 11.4, 14.1, 13, & 12.8 - so one of his seasons isn't quite like the others, guess which one?

:confused:

When did a one year dip in yards/rec become a trend?

I only saw one notable trend- starts.

I hear you, and I see where you're getting that, but I had a different take. The only notable trend, to me, would have been games played, because he was starting every game played until this season, when "Who's your Mamma?" was brought to Seattle. However, given that he played in 14 games this past season, even that trend is absent.

:confused:

When did a one year dip in yards/rec become a trend?
Yeh, you're right, my bad. Let's give Seattle back a first for him, no reason to think he's hit a wall. Wait, I know, Randy Moss went downhill in Oakland too, so twig just needs Brady to be good again (just don't look at Moss' YPC in Oakland, too ugly).

Yeh, you're right, my bad. Let's give Seattle back a first for him, no reason to think he's hit a wall. Wait, I know, Randy Moss went downhill in Oakland too, so twig just needs Brady to be good again (just don't look at Moss' YPC in Oakland, too ugly).

Ummm...... I have no idea what your point is here, especially since I'm not advocating bringing Branch in as WR1. You posted something, telling us to look at the trends. There was only one "trend" and, in order for that "trend" to hold up as anything noteworthy, you had to look at the raw data without noting that T.J. Housh had been brought in.

Using PFF data (and I do this guardedly, while ignoring the site's formulas)

Branch had 45 receptions this season, while being thrown at 75 times, giving him a catch percentage of 60.
Aiken had 21 receptions this season, while being thrown at 47 times, giving him a catch percentage of 44.7.

Given that I'm looking at Branch as a potential replacement for Aiken at WR3/WR4, with the possibility of him getting some slot time, I don't see why there would be any real problem with bringing him in to compete for a spot.

Ummm...... I have no idea what your point is here, especially since I'm not advocating bringing Branch in as WR1. You posted something, telling us to look at the trends. There was only one "trend" and, in order for that "trend" to hold up as anything noteworthy, you had to look at the raw data without noting that T.J. Housh had been brought in.

Using PFF data (and I do this guardedly, while ignoring the site's formulas)

Branch had 45 receptions this season, while being thrown at 75 times, giving him a catch percentage of 60.
Aiken had 21 receptions this season, while being thrown at 47 times, giving him a catch percentage of 44.7.

Given that I'm looking at Branch as a potential replacement for Aiken at WR3/WR4, with the possibility of him getting some slot time, I don't see why there would be any real problem with bringing him in to compete for a spot.
Well, Branch was #4 in receptions on the Seahawks behind Burleson, Housh, and Carlson, so he wasn't the primary receiver defenders were targeting and still came up short of 10 YPC. Seattle's #5 receiver was a RB who averaged 8.5 YPC. Now my "trends" may not be textbook, but there's an issue there that doesn't encourage me reading all the excitement for bringing Branch back. I'd rather see if Seattle cuts Mike Hass and take a chance on him - and he hasn't done anything in the NFL.

Well, Branch was #4 in receptions on the Seahawks behind Burleson, Housh, and Carlson, so he wasn't the primary receiver defenders were targeting and still came up short of 10 YPC. Seattle's #5 receiver was a RB who averaged 8.5 YPC. Now my "trends" may not be textbook, but there's an issue there that doesn't encourage me reading all the excitement for bringing Branch back. I'd rather see if Seattle cuts Mike Hass and take a chance on him - and he hasn't done anything in the NFL.

That's your opinion and you are, of course, welcome to it. However, one year out of 7 with a YPC below 10 is not a trend, particularly when he'd been at 13.5 YPC or above for each of the 3 prior seasons.

But when that off year was preceded by all the injuries...it is plenty of cause for worry. The guy is on the wrong side of 30 now and the injury bug isnt going to get any better for him...

That's your opinion and you are, of course, welcome to it. However, one year out of 7 with a YPC below 10 is not a trend, particularly when he'd been at 13.5 YPC or above for each of the 3 prior seasons.
Okay, it was all his Head Coach's fault, and his Offensive Coordinator's fault, and his QB was suffering from complications of hair transplants.

Deion Branch will need surgery, sources say
34 year old Bobby Engram fills in for 29 year old Branch and gains over 1100 yds! :rofl:

Deion Branch
Medic! Medic!

Branch gets chances, doesn’t do much with them | Seahawks Archive - The News Tribune | Seattle-Tacoma News, Weather, Sports, Jobs, Homes and Cars | South Puget Sound's Destination
*&**^*%% Hasselbeck! :enranged:

Feb 16 Branch wants to play in Chicago.
Feb 18 he's asked by Guregian if he'd play in NE again and the crapstorm starts.

This is a WR who may or may not have something left in the tank, but he's now a legend in his own mind, and apparently in the collective mind of a NE fan-base determined to correct all of Bill Belichick's many errors in one fell swoop.

I hear Vic Carrucci is driving Julius Peppers up to Foxboro for a physical.
misc0003.gif

Last edited:
Okay, it was all his Head Coach's fault, and his Offensive Coordinator's fault, and his QB was from complications of hair transplants.

Deion Branch will need surgery, sources say
34 year old Bobby Engram fills in for 29 year old Branch and gains over 1100 yds! :rofl:

Deion Branch
Medic! Medic!

Branch gets chances, doesn’t do much with them | Seahawks Archive - The News Tribune | Seattle-Tacoma News, Weather, Sports, Jobs, Homes and Cars | South Puget Sound's Destination
*&**^*%% Hasselbeck! :enranged:

Feb 16 Branch wants to play in Chicago.
Feb 18 he's asked by Guregian if he'd play in NE again and the crapstorm starts.

This is a WR who may or may not have something left in the tank, but he's now a legend in his own mind, and apparently in the collective mind of a NE fan-base determined to correct all of Bill Belichick's many errors in one fell swoop.

I hear Vic Carrucci is driving Julius Peppers up to Foxboro for a physical.
misc0003.gif

I get it. You've got something personal against Branch. But, again, none of this is relevant to your assertion of 'trends'.

Also, seeing Branch as a likely improvement over Sam Aiken is not making Branch a legend in my mind. It's an acceptance of the sad truth that Sam Aiken sucks.

As for the Peppers aside, I have no idea where you're going with that, particularly since I'm not one of the people salivating over the possibility of bringing him in.

I get it. You've got something personal against Branch. But, again, none of this is relevant to your assertion of 'trends'.

Also, seeing Branch as a likely improvement over Sam Aiken is not making Branch a legend in my mind. It's an acceptance of the sad truth that Sam Aiken sucks.

As for the Peppers aside, I have no idea where you're going with that, particularly since I'm not one of the people salivating over the possibility of bringing him in.
Geeze, maverick, I thought you'd been banned here?

Yes, my bad on "trends," I am sorry.

I've got something "personal" against Branch but you don't against Aiken? I really hope you aren't advocating NE trade for or sign Deion to replace Aiken as Special Teams Captain? It's a sad truth Sam Aiken wasn't signed for his receiving skill set, which may break your heart, but while we're disagreeing so jovially I might note Aiken is here and your man Stallworth isn't - perhaps BB thinks he's of more value? And if Deion is released and goes to his first new love in Chicago, heh, Aiken sucks and BB let him get away - again. Frankly, after Galloway I'm not enthused about any Free Agent WR, and most especially about one with the constant litany of injuries that has haunted Branch.

Branch, Peppers, Stallworth, whichever savior ignites demands for BB to take action. I know the Terrell Owens fan club has chimed in from time to time, but I can hardly wait for that rumor to reach self sustaining status.

Geez DI and BOR, can't you guys just stop arguing and admit that Kaczur sucks?

Geeze, maverick, I thought you'd been banned here?

Yes, my bad on "trends," I am sorry.

I've got something "personal" against Branch but you don't against Aiken? I really hope you aren't advocating NE trade for or sign Deion to replace Aiken as Special Teams Captain? It's a sad truth Sam Aiken wasn't signed for his receiving skill set, which may break your heart, but while we're disagreeing so jovially I might note Aiken is here and your man Stallworth isn't - perhaps BB thinks he's of more value? And if Deion is released and goes to his first new love in Chicago, heh, Aiken sucks and BB let him get away - again. Frankly, after Galloway I'm not enthused about any Free Agent WR, and most especially about one with the constant litany of injuries that has haunted Branch.

Branch, Peppers, Stallworth, whichever savior ignites demands for BB to take action. I know the Terrell Owens fan club has chimed in from time to time, but I can hardly wait for that rumor to reach self sustaining status.

Wait... you pointed to non-existent 'trends', but my thinking that Aiken sucks is personal? Come on, Box. I understand that Aiken was signed as a special teams player, and I have nothing at all against the man. It's not his fault that he's not really an NFL quality receiver, and it's not his fault that Belichick did such a terrible job with wide receivers last year that Aiken became the team's #3 wideout.

Regarding Stallworth... neither you nor I have any idea of what level of interest there might have been between the team and the player, and it's irrelevant now. Stallworth, like Branch, was a likely upgrade over Aiken as a receiver, and that's how I was looking at the position.

That same thinking applies to Branch. I'm all for bringing in all the receivers necessary in order to insure that the Patriots aren't stuck with Sam Aiken as the WR3 for 12 games again this season. It's not because I've got something personal against Aiken. It's because Aiken is a lousy wide receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back