PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch still loves BB, would love to be back (el mergio)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "I would love to be back" - Deion Branch

There's no guaranteed contracts in the NFL - how many contracts has Robert Kraft terminated before it reached completion? None. Kraft isn't in the normal day to day functions. It's been BB and Piole. What percentage of NFL contracts do owners actually honor until their completion? A lot more than you think. I am fairly certain that they honor better than 50% of them. But that is besides the point. The contracts are non-guaranteed (most of them) because the Players get the concession of higher contracts and a signing bonus that doesn't have to be returned if they get cut for lack of performance.

If we accept that NFL ownership has the right to terminate a contract when its in their best interest and consider contracts completely meaningless, then is it really fair to kill a player for recognizing he has completely outplayed his contract? Which Branch had. I'm not trying to defend Branch - every word you just said, I said back when it happened. But with time to reflect, I think what he did was just nature of the business, as unfortunate and selfish as it was.

Yes, actually, it IS fair to kill a player like Branch who lies through his teeth about being a man of honor and that he was going to play through his contract regardless.

BTW, why is it that people think that terminating a contract for lack of performance is a bad thing? People do that in the real world all the time. And they end up going to court to recoup money typically. In the NFL, the CBA is set up to avoid the whole court thing as it would waste too much time. Instead, as I mentioned, players traded higher salaries and a signing bonus they don't have to return for the sake of not having to go to court after their contracts are terminated.

Last edited:
Since 2005? Nah, more than that. Brady, Faulk, Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Watson, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Woods, Alexander, Sanders, just off the top of my head. There's probably more.

Green and Watson are both UFAs.. Kaczur was a rookie that year. Woods was on the practice squad.

That being said, he'd have to get to 27 or 32, depending on whether you include the practice squad.

I would've agreed with you back in the day, I know I resented Branch as a fan for what he did. But in hindsight, with some distance from it, it really was as he described it. This is a business, and he - just as Asante or Wilfork - have a right to get as much money as they want. If it means sacrificing playing for the team they want to play for, well, that's their [wrong] decision to make. I think they have their priorities screwed up, but it's well within their right to go out and try to get every last dollar, just as any employee can do in any industry. I think its shallow and short-sighted - and Branch should understand that now. But were bridges really burnt? Ultimately, I think it'd be pretty petty of either side not to understand that this is a business, and these things happen.

Not when he's already under contract. That is where you FAIL. While still under contract, he doesn't have the right to go and talk to other teams about what they would be willing to give him in a contract.

In the REAL world, you get fired and your employer takes you to court for breach of contract.

I find it truly amazing how people can just throw business ethics right out the window..

Yes, actually, it IS fair to kill a player like Branch who lies through his teeth about being a man of honor and that he was going to play through his contract regardless.

BTW, why is it that people think that terminating a contract for lack of performance is a bad thing? People do that in the real world all the time.

I wouldn't say this is a fair comparison. Terminating a contract in the real world is more complicated in the NFL. In the NFL, there are no guaranteed contracts, so it's as easy as cutting a guy.

On the flip side - just as often, an employee in the real world is given a bonus or promotion for exceeding expectations. Branch did not have that in his sights.

Let's face, the owners simply hold the cards in the NFL - Branch was foolish to try and fight it. In the end, I don't think anything happened that would stop him from coming back. He said so himself.

Whatever reticence Belichick or management would be offset by the huge amount of respect they have for Tom Brady's opinion, and I guarantee Brady would want him back.

Last edited:

Not when he's already under contract. That is where you FAIL. While still under contract, he doesn't have the right to go and talk to other teams about what they would be willing to give him in a contract.

In the REAL world, you get fired and your employer takes you to court for breach of contract.

I find it truly amazing how people can just throw business ethics right out the window..

Sure, but come on, this is the NFL, do you really think teams and players don't talk to each other in situations in which they shouldn't - ethically? It's SOP for teams to talk to free agents before free agency has started or before a player has finished his contract, etc. This comes up every year, the issue is raised, the status quo continues.

It may not be right, but it is what it is. I'm not saying what Branch did was right, it certainly pissed me off. But I also don't think it's completely out of the ordinary, enough to the point where he has alienated himself from the Patriots management.

Last edited:
That's the Boston Sports Fan Syndrome for you. Do you have idea how many people here would cream their pants if Asante came walking back in through that door? Of course, I fully expect a few posters to come in and tell me "NAH, NOT ME BRAH! DUDE TOOK TOO MANY CHANCES".

Put me firmly in that category. Couldn't stand the way he played and was happy to watch him go to Philly. And would definitely not want him back in New England!

As far as Branch goes, bringing him back at the vet minimum would ok with me. But my expectations would be low.

Last edited:
Fixed it for you.

He says he still talks to "half the team."

I believe there's only three or so players left from the roster he was on. Nice try. :bricks:

his direct quote is: "To this day, I still talk with half of the guys that were on the team with me."

the fact that they are not still on the pats is not really relavent, his is talking about the players on the team when he left the pats. So he could be talking to Givens, Brushci, Graham, etc, who are not presently on the team but on the team when he played with us . . .

I wouldn't say this is a fair comparison. Terminating a contract in the real world is more complicated in the NFL. In the NFL, there are no guaranteed contracts, so it's as easy as cutting a guy.

They usually pay millions upon millions of dollars in signing bonus and get the right to cut a player. You are acting as if players sign contracts with 0 guaranteed money and just live on a day to day basis of being cut at any moment.

On the flip side - just as often, an employee in the real world is given a bonus or promotion for exceeding expectations. Branch did not have that in his sights.

Let's face, the owners simply hold the cards in the NFL - Branch was foolish to try and fight it. In the end, I don't think anything happened that would stop him from coming back. He said so himself.

What are you talking about, the owners don't "hold the cards" as you are trying to portray it.

Whatever reticence Belichick or management would be offset by the huge amount of respect they have for Tom Brady's opinion, and I guarantee Brady would want him back.

You can guarantee whatever the heck you want, but you are just projecting your opinion of Branch onto Brady. I'm sure Brady wasn't happy having to struggle through 2006 with crap receivers. Whether Brady wants Branch or not isn't going to matter anyway.

Too many of you have no self respect when a player lies to you. (APRIL: "I will honor my contract." JULY: "I refuse to play under the contract I signed. Ratgini offered me a bigger contract under the table, match it or I walk.")

Yeah, he can help. Go for it if the bottom line means more to you than your self respect. "Well, yeah, my wife cheated on me with my atuo mechanic, but that was four years ago. I still take my car to him to be fixed because he is a good mechanic. It's just good business."

Blech.
You are taking it waaaaaaaaaaaaay too personally. I am glad Bill Belichick does not make his personnel decisions with the same level of vindictiveness.

If the opportunity presents itself and he makes the Patriots a better team (and assuming he is healthy and the price is right) then they would be foolish to let such an opportunity pass them by. Now that is a lot of if's so we'll just have to see how things play from here.

Sure he had it in his sight. They were willing to extend him, just not at the numbers he wanted because he had a year left on his rookie deal and an extention at that juncture is discounted, even for Brady and Seymour... Meion wanted Reggie Wayne money and he wanted them to tear up the last year of his rookie deal and pretend he was a UFA when he wasn't. Absent that he wanted them to promise him a year in advance that they wouldn't franchise tag him if he did report and complete his rookie deal. A precident no team has ever set.

He never remotely worked out in Seattle. I'm sure they'd like a refund or a do over but they don't get one. He got his $13M signing bonus and a 4 years of a 6 year $39M deal because they traded a #1 for him and because due to cap constraints they couldn't afford to cut him before this year anyway...

They usually pay millions upon millions of dollars in signing bonus and get the right to cut a player. You are acting as if players sign contracts with 0 guaranteed money and just live on a day to day basis of being cut at any moment.

I'm not acting like that, and that's not the case. I'm accurately portraying the fact that contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL, and owners can terminate them at any point. The fact that the signing bonus is guaranteed is irrelevant. Owners have the freedom to get out of bad contracts, players do not. That's all my point is.

What are you talking about, the owners don't "hold the cards" as you are trying to portray it.

The owners have most of the leverage right now, and will heading into this potential lockout. How would you disagree?

You can guarantee whatever the heck you want, but you are just projecting your opinion of Branch onto Brady. I'm sure Brady wasn't happy having to struggle through 2006 with crap receivers. Whether Brady wants Branch or not isn't going to matter anyway.

Yes it will matter what Brady thinks - Belichick explicitly said at the end of the season that they will consider Tom's plea for more veteran leadership this season in free agency.

Too many of you have no self respect when a player lies to you. (APRIL: "I will honor my contract." JULY: "I refuse to play under the contract I signed. Ratgini offered me a bigger contract under the table, match it or I walk.")

Yeah, he can help. Go for it if the bottom line means more to you than your self respect. "Well, yeah, my wife cheated on me with my atuo mechanic, but that was four years ago. I still take my car to him to be fixed because he is a good mechanic. It's just good business."

Blech.

The biggest lies that come out of our organization comes from our HC. His press conferences are full of crap. Do you want to get rid of him?

And your analogy is extremely poor. Following sports for me is an entertainment. Much like I watch movies for entertainment. I don't use the same logic regarding my entertainment to my personal life.

Sure he had it in his sight. They were willing to extend him, just not at the numbers he wanted because he had a year left on his rookie deal and an extention at that juncture is discounted, even for Brady and Seymour... Meion wanted Reggie Wayne money and he wanted them to tear up the last year of his rookie deal and pretend he was a UFA when he wasn't. Absent that he wanted them to promise him a year in advance that they wouldn't franchise tag him if he did report and complete his rookie deal. A precident no team has ever set.

I'm not saying he wasn't foolish and he ultimately got his wish of being drastically overpaid - he did, Seattle did overpay for him.

And his mistake was not realizing that both Brady & Seymour had taken less money than they could have gotten - in exchange for the financial security that signing an extension before their deals were up provides.

All I'm saying is that that mistake should not be enough to make management blacklist him from the team. He had poor judgment in business, but the conflict he had with the team was not out of the ordinary or bridge-burning worthy.

Last edited:

Whether Brady wants Branch or not isn't going to matter anyway.
Wow. Just when I thought you couldn't get any more ignorant, you manage to raise (or, I should say, lower) the bar yet again.

Wow. Just when I thought you couldn't get any more ignorant, you manage to raise (or, I should say, lower) the bar yet again.

He wanted Branch far more in 2006 than he will in 2010. Get out of your fantasy world. If they don't think Branch would help the team, he won't be brought here whether Brady wants him here or not.

I'm not acting like that, and that's not the case. I'm accurately portraying the fact that contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL, and owners can terminate them at any point. The fact that the signing bonus is guaranteed is irrelevant. Owners have the freedom to get out of bad contracts, players do not. That's all my point is.

The signing bonus is NOT irrelevant at all. That's the point you are missing, it is all tied into the big picture. If a player got $50M signing bonus and $1M per year contract, you don't throw out the $50M and say the player is screwed and can be cut at any time. It's more like the player is getting $10M a year with the chance to earn $1M more each year by playing up to par. Your point is only valid if there was 0 guaranteed money in NFL contracts.

Yes it will matter what Brady thinks - Belichick explicitly said at the end of the season that they will consider Tom's plea for more veteran leadership this season in free agency.

:sigh: Branch will be brought here if and only if they feel he will help the team and they get proper value for that chance. Brady's opinion can sway a really on the fence decision, but some of you act like he'll be brought here just because Brady wants him.

Last edited:

He wanted Branch far more in 2006 than he will in 2010. Get out of your fantasy world. If they don't think Branch would help the team, he won't be brought here whether Brady wants him here or not.
Please keep responding to me because the more you do, the more foolish you look. I never said Brady is the final word and ultimate authority, but if you think Brady's opinion "isn't going to matter anyway," you need to join us in the real world.

Please keep responding to me because the more you do, the more foolish you look. I never said Brady is the final word and ultimate authority, but if you think Brady's opinion "isn't going to matter anyway," you need to join us in the real world.

It will NOT matter unless they are on the fence about the decision. If they feel Branch is absolutely not worth whatever it would take to get him here, no amount of Brady pleading will make them bring Branch here.

When you hold a grudge or set out to make someone else look foolish, you often find yourself looking like the fool.

The biggest lies that come out of our organization comes from our HC. His press conferences are full of crap. Do you want to get rid of him?

And your analogy is extremely poor. Following sports for me is an entertainment. Much like I watch movies for entertainment. I don't use the same logic regarding my entertainment to my personal life.

Good thing you do, because otherwise you might have to stop rooting for the Patriots, since Belichick cheated on his wife.

Last edited:

You guys might call me crazy on this, but I've always thought that it was his attention-wh*** of an agent who wanted to cause trouble to get more $$. Now, of course, Deion should have fired him if they weren't on the same page... but keeping an agent you disagree with is much more forgivable than what some people think he wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back