PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch...1 year now...you be the judge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Branch...1 year now..you be the judge..

Same as I have felt about anyone who refuses to honor their contract....

buh bye....

What an attitude....Me me me me me...MEION....
poor excuse for being a scumbag...REALLy...so he was going to sit out 10 games?? THAT really would have helped his family...sorry...given all that people have said about him...and how he could have stayed here..had he been reasonable..I lost all resoect for him....from his lack of negotiations to his lying....

ME, me, me, me? Huh? It was, my son, my son, my son.

If you're a father and you put your boss's needs before your child's, then god help your kids. Sometimes your kid's interests coincide with your boss's interests (providing a good home and educational opportunities and being compensated for solid work go hand in hand) but sometimes they don't. In Deion's case they didn't, and did the only thing a respectable man could do. Put his son first. I would have done the same exact thing.

As far as many fans are concerned he's a POS...as his antics showed what he's all about..the end justifies the means....Hmmmm Have heard that before.. he seemed to have some regrets about not playing for NE..sort of wondered what happened..kind of wanted his cake and eat it too....but he burned that bridge a LONG time ago by not negotiating and putting himself on a limb. When I heard him interviewed he seemed in denial of the facts..the fact that he did EVERYTHING to get out of town.

I'd be willing to bet you're not a parent. The end justifies the means? Huh? if the end is keeping his ill son in high quality care for the duration of his life (however long that may be) then obviously the end justifies the means. His son is a human being. Football is just a game. That's all. Don't make it life or death. Football is a means for every player, a means to a better living. You actually think Tedy Bruschi would be out there right now if it meant he could possibly be depriving his children of a father, just to keep Patriot nation happy?

I'd be willing to bet you're not a parent. The end justifies the means? Huh? if the end is keeping his ill son in high quality care for the duration of his life (however long that may be) then obviously the end justifies the means. His son is a human being. Football is just a game. That's all. Don't make it life or death. Football is a means for every player, a means to a better living. You actually think Tedy Bruschi would be out there right now if it meant he could possibly be depriving his children of a father, just to keep Patriot nation happy?

He was reportedly offered similar money by the Patriots, it would just have begun a year later. I simply don't see how your comment applies in that situation.

Put his son first. I would have done the same exact thing.

The Pats offer was almost equal money only starting when his original contract was completed. (As should be the case).

He would not have put his son in any danger by accepting the Patriots offer, in fact probably would have been better off since the Doctors in the Northeast are considered some of the best in the country.

But he is doing a good spin job by saying he did it for his son...:rolleyes:

No, he did what he WANTED to do. He didn't HAVE to violate his contract. He CHOOSE to.

Well, he didn't have the "right." He had to not honor a contract to do it.

Are you saying that this was all about his son, and not about money?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Do the math. Say Branch makes $30 million over the course of his career. Subtract 40% for taxes (Fed and Mass), 10% agent's fee, 10% expenses. You're left with $12-13 million dollars. Now, think about his son who doesn't have medical insurance. Facilities like that one can cost a lot of money, $200k a year is not unheard of. If he's in there for the next 20 years, that's $4-5 million.

Deion will have $8 million left over, which is more than I'll ever have, but then again I'm not a speedy NFL caliber receiver, and if I were, I'd want to have at least $8 million in the bank when all is said and done.

In this case, his son's illness definitely required money. Let's be real. As I read that article, it became clear that he was dealing with a very expensive and lengthy lifelong illness in the family.

By the way, he did have the right. The NFL expressly allows you to hold out and not honor the contract while vesting a year in fulfillment of that contract. That means the CBA legislates hold outs, and although it literally means he's breaking his contract, the CBA anticipates this and insures that players can fulfill the commitment of the contract length even if they are holding out. This means he's playing by the rules that were collectively bargained by both owners and players.

Yes I would honor my contract.

I bet you wouldn't. Not when you saw the money at stake. Honoring thsat contract could very well mean that you'll nd up broke in the end. Assuming his son is going to eat up 4-5 million dollars of Deion's money, you do the math and tell me how much is left over after taxes, expenses, agent fees, etc. Even now, Deion will probably only have $8 million left over, which is the difference between the Patriots contract and the Seattle contract.

If you had honored your contract, you would have ended up broke. Would you really have done that?

If you had honored your contract, you would have ended up broke. Would you really have done that?

Who says this was his last contract???

He was reportedly offered similar money by the Patriots, it would just have begun a year later. I simply don't see how your comment applies in that situation.

The Patriots reportedly offered him $7 million.

Look at the Seattle contract again. It goes over and above that, not to mention it paid him immediately. There's a difference of about $13 million dollars between the two. That $13 million is a big difference. The Seattle deal averages 1 million more over 5, plus the extra year (i.e. last year).

Who says this was his last contract???

I do. No one is going to pay a 31 year old receiver big coin. This guy is not Randy Moss. And Randy is only getting $3m. I can't really think of many receivers at that age who get decent contracts. But you may be right, Daniel Snyder may lose his head again.

Regardless, would you be willing to bet against injury over the next 5 years of the contract. One big injury and he's cut. All he'll have left is the guaranteed money.

I simply refuse to believe that anyone on this board would have behaved differently, knowing the possibility of injury, and knowing the family needs of really expensive medical care for the unforeseeable future.

The Pats offer was almost equal money only starting when his original contract was completed. (As should be the case).

He would not have put his son in any danger by accepting the Patriots offer, in fact probably would have been better off since the Doctors in the Northeast are considered some of the best in the country.

But he is doing a good spin job by saying he did it for his son...:rolleyes:

But it wasn't equal. That "almost" is a million less a year, not to mention the fact that Seattle paid him bigtime last year. That's an additional $13 million dollars. Not chicken scratch.

Like I said earlier, he didn't do this only for his son. He also did it for himself and his family. If you're one of the bet in the sport, you try to insure you'll be left with several million when you can't play anymore. Given the resources needed to sustain his son's life, the Patriots offer could not insure that he would be left with those millions at the end of his playing days, especially given the possibility of injury.

Should have done it the right way and completed his contract.....

He is scum to me.

But it wasn't equal. That "almost" is a million less a year, not to mention the fact that Seattle paid him bigtime last year. That's an additional $13 million dollars. Not chicken scratch.

Like I said earlier, he didn't do this only for his son. He also did it for himself and his family. If you're one of the bet in the sport, you try to insure you'll be left with several million when you can't play anymore. Given the resources needed to sustain his son's life, the Patriots offer could not insure that he would be left with those millions at the end of his playing days, especially given the possibility of injury.

I don't get your numbers or, rather, the Globe doesn't:

Branch and agent Jason Chayut came up with two similar offers, from the Jets and Seahawks. Both were six-year deals worth roughly $39 million with $13 million upfront and $23 million spread over the first three years. That is about 30 percent higher than New England's best offer, a five-year, $28 million deal with $11 million guaranteed.

11 million guaranteed seems to meet with your projected requirements so, as I said, I don't see how your point applies here.

2. I will NEVER root for Branch again, quite the opposite. It isn't all about the fact he didn't honor the contract. That was part of it. But what got me was that he didn't negotiate in good faith. He said one thing then did another. He wasn't a team guy. If he was, he'd be ALMOST as rich, and in a much better situation.

Bingo. The Pats offered him too much money to spend on his son. Deion would have had to find extravagant things like $4m houses to possibly use up all his new Patriots money.

5. That leads me to my final point. It was a stroke of good fortune that Branch didn't take the Pats final offer. In the long run that money will be better put to use paying guys like Warren, Wilfolk and Thomas.

(More total agreement here!)

I agree with all the negative things people have said about Branch on this thread. Yes, it's a business, but he had a clear opportunity to conduct business honorably, make bushels of millions for his son and others from the Patriots, and keep his word.

ME, me, me, me? Huh? It was, my son, my son, my son.

If you're a father and you put your boss's needs before your child's, then god help your kids. Sometimes your kid's interests coincide with your boss's interests (providing a good home and educational opportunities and being compensated for solid work go hand in hand) but sometimes they don't. In Deion's case they didn't, and did the only thing a respectable man could do. Put his son first. I would have done the same exact thing.
Right...as if the difference was REALLY all that much...and would MAKE a difference...a good excuse for being greedy...he's no less a scumbag...Frankly..he put HIMSELF first...his son..more excuses from the Branch rumpswabs...

I agree with all the negative things people have said about Branch on this thread. Yes, it's a business, but he had a clear opportunity to conduct business honorably, make bushels of millions for his son and others from the Patriots, and keep his word.
I think this is what many are saying HE COULD have conducted business honorably..and took another path.

In the end the entire situation cost the Pats a superbowl IMO and I believe BB knows it deep down which is why he stacked the team.

I bet you wouldn't. Not when you saw the money at stake. Honoring thsat contract could very well mean that you'll nd up broke in the end. Assuming his son is going to eat up 4-5 million dollars of Deion's money, you do the math and tell me how much is left over after taxes, expenses, agent fees, etc. Even now, Deion will probably only have $8 million left over, which is the difference between the Patriots contract and the Seattle contract.

There is a world of difference in what Seymour did and what Branch did.
Seymour negotiated in good faith and got paid very well and gave a hometown discount. Only a greedy selfish Moron thinks it is OK to be dishonorable. Just my opinion.
Myself I am a Tedy Bruschi type. I do very well financially. I don't need to be filthy rich to be happy. Loyalty and Cooperation are keys to sucess in life.

I don't get your numbers or, rather, the Globe doesn't:

11 million guaranteed seems to meet with your projected requirements so, as I said, I don't see how your point applies here.

$39 versus $28 total. A difference of $11 million. I wrote $13 million, but that was just off the top of my head from what I remembered a year ago. I knew Seattle's number at $39 but I thought New England's was $26.

Still, that $11 million is a lot.

Taxes, 10% agent fees, the $39 becomes $19 and the $28 becomes $14. Subtract $5 mill for the kid, and you have $14 mill to keep and $9 mill to keep.

If someone put it to you in those terms, what would be your decision. Would you play for the Patriots for $9 mill or the Seahawks for $14 mill?

Right...as if the difference was REALLY all that much...and would MAKE a difference...a good excuse for being greedy...he's no less a scumbag...Frankly..he put HIMSELF first...his son..more excuses from the Branch rumpswabs...

Use logic and the English language next time you respond to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News