PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's Signal Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-watching the game I could not help notice hearing Brady yelling "Cougar! Cougar!" and then "Linda! Linda!" on another series. You don't think this was either a diss or a tribute to BB's gal pal? Where do they get these calls?

That's pretty funny stuff, PWP.

From what I understand, they come up with a one-word call as to help simplify and accelerate the whole system. A well established coach actually came up with the "one word" system, but I can't remember who it was off-hand. He was obviously one of the better offensive minded coaches of our generation though. If anyone remembers who it was, I'd be interested to know.

As far as where they get the specific words from, that's a good question. I'm not as sure that I'd compare the "cougar" call to "Linda" though, as my understanding of the term cougar was an older woman who went after younger men. While Linda's pretty snappy for a woman her age, she's still younger than Belichick by a number of years.

Perhaps Belichick is the real "cougar" in this instance? ;)

Seriously, I'd guess that these are mainly 2-syllable calls, chosen so that even if you only hear one syllable correctly you're not going to get confused as to what the call is. And there's probably some meaning to the first letter as well. (E.g., we've heard a lot this past week about how a "Poison" call is now usually "Peter" instead.)

As to who chose them -- probably an OC (Josh McD or Bill O'B), or else Scar.

It was Ted Marchibroda, who was the Colts' offensive guru back in the day.

Belichick spent time with him and picked up on some of the tendencies there.

Many also think that Chip Kelly helped to create the one word system too, although my guess is that it's likely a base from Marchibroda's system, with maybe an updated version from Kelly thrown in too, as they are friends of course.

Patriots no-huddle relies on power of one - Boston.com

Seriously, I'd guess that these are mainly 2-syllable calls, chosen so that even if you only hear one syllable correctly you're not going to get confused as to what the call is. And there's probably some meaning to the first letter as well. (E.g., we've heard a lot this past week about how a "Poison" call is now usually "Peter" instead.)

As to who chose them -- probably an OC (Josh McD or Bill O'B), or else Scar.

So then, it's either Dante or Josh who is screwing with BB's head. Glad the national media has not picked up on this internecine Patriots psych warfare.

(trying out for the Eternal Champion position on Patsfans)

I've read that teams often shift calls during games using words that are related.

Sky -> blue
Fire -> red
Alice -> wonderland

Cougar -> Linda would fit this scheme

The Inside Track gals of the Herald were one day ahead of you: :D

Tom Brady makes a play for Bill Belichick?s gal | Boston Herald

“Well, since it was obviously a good call and a well-executed play, I’ll take a tiny bit of credit — but only for a well-named play,” Linda told the Track.

Brady was asked about the secret cougar code during his regular Monday appearance on WEEI’s “Dennis & Callahan” show yesterday — and he rather artfully avoided the question.

This is huge. First we have Gisele acting as GM "Who will rid me of this meddlesome dwarf so that my husband does not have to both throw the ball and catch it himself", and now BB gal pal Linder acting as OC. As long as she keeps winning with her clutch play calls, I'm in.

Supposedly, there are 6 specific play calls that are used per week consisting of one word.

As we all know, there have also been plenty of times where they keep the same audible/play on with the same word; much like "goldtop" was a QB sneak in the SF game last year which was used several times.

There was a play most recently that was a basic run off tackle that they kept using in one of the games, and I kept wondering "if I know what it's going to be, I'm sure that the defense has figured it out by now too."

I've read that teams often shift calls during games using words that are related.

Sky -> blue
Fire -> red
Alice -> wonderland

Cougar -> Linda would fit this scheme

The one word system includes all of the following:

--formation

--blocking scheme

--direction on run plays

--receiver assignments/routes

--snap count

--shift in formations

--possible alerts and play alterations

In other words, the use of the one word system does include shifts too, so they don't need to include anything else

The one word system includes all of the following:

--formation

--blocking scheme

--direction on run plays

--receiver assignments/routes

--snap count

--shift in formations

--possible alerts and play alterations

In other words, the use of the one word system does include shifts too, so they don't need to include anything else

He was saying they change the names up a little, but they mean the same play.

I wonder who's job it is to come up with the new names each week, does it actually get any time or do they just make it up. It would be funny if each word actually meant something, like something that happened during the week, or maybe "turkey" and "dinner" around this time of year and "present" at Christmas time...... I think I'm over analysing this though, just a little bit :D

Would have been funny if he yelled Welker - Welker - double stuff - for a double stack.

Last edited:
You know what was awesome? "426 power! 426 power!" Sounds like a freakin run up the gut. Then BOOM!!!! Play action motherfarqers!!!

It seems to me the Inside Track women are expanding the definition of "cougar' by saying Linda is "cougarific". She may be a sexy middle aged woman, but she is not a cougar according to the definition of the term as I have always heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes