PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady yelling at OFF. coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a poor route, and an even worse decision to throw that ball. Underwood was the primary on that play and Brady stared him down. He read the safety because of the TE declaration pre-snap and knew Underwood would have a clean area to work in. The linebackers were up and focused on the TE's, so Underwood didn't need to have depth on that play. He rounded it early and opened a lane for the corner to make a play. As the quarterback in that situation if you don't read the player as clearly open you throw it into the stands. While it was a bad route, the guy who pulls the trigger is ultimately responsible. It was a bad play.

As a coach, you need to assert yourself, and it was widely reported that Brady was going after the receivers coach before he went after Underwood. O'Brien was in the right chewing Brady out on that. No player has the right to go after coaches, ever.

1.) They've had a lot of younger players on the team since day one.

2.) While it doesn't mean that it's the way to do, the reality is that they have developed young receivers before. The likely culprit here is talent/fit, not coaching. The same issues have come up with veterans, after all.

If Tate's a selection issue (and I agree that it is), your complaint makes no sense.

When was the last time we drafted and developed a solid receiver? Yeah, it's been a while, that makes me think they need to do something DIFFERENT than what they have been doing and failing at.

Tate isn't the only receiver that they've failed with, and I also generally don't think it's a one or the other situation with fit and coaching, I think strength in one can compensate for weakness in another.

When was the last time we drafted and developed a solid receiver? Yeah, it's been a while, that makes me think they need to do something DIFFERENT than what they have been doing and failing at.

Tate isn't the only receiver that they've failed with, and I also generally don't think it's a one or the other situation with fit and coaching, I think strength in one can compensate for weakness in another.

You're confusing talent selection/fit with coaching. Edelman should have been enough to show you that the issue is talent/fit.

Players selected as WR under BB (I won't count Slater)
Price
Tate
Jackson
Sam
Johnson
Branch
Givens
Morey

Not one of the receivers who failed in New England went on to succeed elsewhere. Morey became a special teams ace, and that's as close as it's gotten.

Meanwhile, Edelman has been able to survive as the backup to Welker.

The problem has been with the drafting, not with the coaching. When it comes to the coaching, the reality is that some receivers just don't get the scheme in New England, regardless of the coaching and even regardless of the effort put in. We're seeing this play out this year with Underwood v. Johnson.

Last edited:
It was a poor route, and an even worse decision to throw that ball. Underwood was the primary on that play and Brady stared him down. He read the safety because of the TE declaration pre-snap and knew Underwood would have a clean area to work in. The linebackers were up and focused on the TE's, so Underwood didn't need to have depth on that play. He rounded it early and opened a lane for the corner to make a play. As the quarterback in that situation if you don't read the player as clearly open you throw it into the stands. While it was a bad route, the guy who pulls the trigger is ultimately responsible. It was a bad play.

As a coach, you need to assert yourself, and it was widely reported that Brady was going after the receivers coach before he went after Underwood. O'Brien was in the right chewing Brady out on that. No player has the right to go after coaches, ever.

Couldn't have been that widely reported since this is the first we've heard mention of it here...

Couldn't have been that widely reported since this is the first we've heard mention of it here...

See Greg Bedard's December 12th feed on the Hitler.

Last edited:
What you are apparently suggesting is that other patsfans who disagree with you are somehow more likely to be prone to idol worship you than you apparently admit to being...And that is not institutional rot, it's self absorbed and twisted rationalization to allow you to dismiss criticism of your own opinion by others as rot.

Hero worship and embracing a cult of personality is something we all need to guard against, not just in sports.

Because of the remarkable success this team has had, and also the constant need to defend that success against external criticism due to LieGate, some have become overly defensive against any criticism of the organization, whether the organizational structure, the offensive philosophy, or the personnel evaluation.

IMO this is not a healthy approach to being a fan.

The objective is to win the SB, something this team has not done since 2004. The reason the Pats have not won the title in 7 years, with the best Qb in the NFL playing for us, is a valid subject of analysis.

There were reasons the Pats won 3 titles in 4 years, and there are reasons they have not won since. What are those reasons? It is neither "twisted" nor "self-absorbed" to attempt to understand them.

It may be "twisted" and "self-absorbed" to pretend those reasons do not exist, but I would instead characterize that approach as misguided.

Last edited:
Hero worship and embracing a cult of personality is something we all need to guard against, not just in sports.

Because of the remarkable success this team has had, and also the constant need to defend that success against external criticism due to LieGate, some have become overly defensive against any criticism of the organization, whether the organizational structure, the offensive philosophy, or the personnel evaluation.

The objective is to win the SB, something this team has not done since 2004. The reason the Pats have not won the title in 7 years, with the best Qb in the NFL playing for us, is a valid subject of analysis.

There were reasons the Pats won 3 titles in 4 years, and there are reasons they have not won since. What are those reasons? It is neither "twisted" nor "self-absorbed" to attempt to understand them.

It may be "twisted" and "self-absorbed" to pretend those reasons do not exist, but I would instead characterize that approach as misguided.

What is misguided is to assume they were going to do much better than they have. No other team has unless you want to go back to the pre cap and FA days and even then, not sure it was better...

I agree that there is a cult-like approach that some of the most ardent homers here have taken, and I agree that such an approach is a poor one. I just don't see what that has to do with the Brady/BOB confrontation.....

I agree that there is a cult-like approach that some of the most ardent ANTI-homers here have taken, and I agree that such an approach is a poor one. I just don't see what that has to do with the Brady/BOB confrontation.....

Fixed it for you.

You're confusing talent selection/fit with coaching. Edelman should have been enough to show you that the issue is talent/fit.

Players selected as WR under BB (I won't count Slater)
Price
Tate
Jackson
Sam
Johnson
Branch
Givens
Morey

Not one of the receivers who failed in New England went on to succeed elsewhere. Morey became a special teams ace, and that's as close as it's gotten.

Meanwhile, Edelman has been able to survive as the backup to Welker.

The problem has been with the drafting, not with the coaching. When it comes to the coaching, the reality is that some receivers just don't get the scheme in New England, regardless of the coaching and even regardless of the effort put in. We're seeing this play out this year with Underwood v. Johnson.

LOL :p

Leave it to the Douche Awry to not comprehend Tight Ends are like guys who catch the ball.:eek:

Thanks, Douche

Most of us just feel smarter after you post.:D

More importantly

Guard against dummies who post nonsense as exemplified by the post above.

Yep,the inmates aren't running the asylum. They are jumping the shark in Scrappy Doo costumes.:eek:

Is it time to dump this thread in the Practice Squad yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News