PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady vs Manning Post Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting how fast the debate has gone from Brady vs. Manning to Brady vs. Montana for GOAT.

Not that there is any debate. Brady has made it to six SBs (so far), Montana only made it to four.

Peter King adds Otto Graham from the 1950s. I would add Bart Starr from the '60s and Slingin' Sammy Baugh from the '40s. Heck, add and dismiss Terry Bradshaw while at it.

Funny how competition is now guys nobody alive saw play when boxing was a bigger sport than the NFL.:)

Hey PWP, Brady only has 21 postseason wins. Unless you got some crystal ball where the pats repeat next year to get to 24
If we take out the Wild card round, which did not exist for Montana, he has "only" 19. I like giving in to their reasonable argument then winning anyway. :)

I think that the serious discussion of Goat for years to come will center on Brady, Montana and Unitas, with honorary mentions to Roger Staubach and maybe a couple of others from before the SB era. ...
Unitas is over rated. He had Raymond Berry at WR. The guy who invented timing routes. And this was pre-free agency - no players bringing your secret tactic league wide. With that extreme advantage Unitas lead the Colts to one NFL championship in the game of the century- the first sudden death OT. They needed OT to beat a team running "if you are open" as opposed to "you will be open."

When Berry retired, Unitas's stats go down - although that may be age. In the SB era he did not lead the Colts to III, he came in in relief of Morral. He won V. Roundly called the worst played SBHe was one of

I really do not care that much about Brady vs Montana.
It's long been the 21st century.
I used to really care about Brady vs everybody's hero Manning, but that point is moot now.
I'm in such a good place now.

Chicken parm you taste so good
Tom Brady won another Super Bowl he's too good
Take me over Tom only Archie and Olivia would
How'd Tom do that against Seattle I'll never know
From the first snap I did blow
Inside or out Tom's the beast
Take me out of the dome and it's a pick feast

NFL Mobile please kill the Nationwide commercials so I stop doing this nonstop all flipping day long.

And to the thread topic I'll give anybody who still wants him Peyton but I can Tom and get to choose the date of the game and the neutral site location of the game. With those terms I might give Tom the week off to rest and start Rapelessberger or another quarterback who's game is at least portable to all venues and weather conditions.

Chic-ken parm, you taste so good
Brady wins Super Bowl, he's too good
Take me over Tom? Only sports media would
How Tom plays postseason, I'll never know
From the first playoff snap, I always blow
Big game on the line, Tommy Boy's the beast
Take me outa the dome, and it's a pick six feast

Last edited:
Unitas is over rated. He had Raymond Berry at WR. The guy who invented timing routes. And this was pre-free agency - no players bringing your secret tactic league wide. With that extreme advantage Unitas lead the Colts to one NFL championship in the game of the century- the first sudden death OT. They needed OT to beat a team running "if you are open" as opposed to "you will be open."

When Berry retired, Unitas's stats go down - although that may be age. In the SB era he did not lead the Colts to III, he came in in relief of Morral. He won V. Roundly called the worst played SBHe was one of
Disagree on Unitas .

He won two NFL championships, '58 and '59. He also took colts to a third, but lost to Jim Brown's Browns. He set many of the passing records, before the rules were changed on blocking techniques and pass defense. One record many thought would be unbroken, consecutive games with TD, was only recently broken by Brees. He was injured in '68, hence Morrall took colts to SB 3. SB 5 was his last hurrah and he was traded by new colts owner Irsay shortly after.

Honestly i don't know what to make of Manning anymore.

Disagree on Unitas . He won two nfl championships, 58 and 59. He also took colts to a third, but lost to Jim browns browns. He set many of the passing records, before the rules were changed on blocking techniques and pass defense. One record many thought would be unbroken, consecutive games with TD was only recently broken by Bree's. He was injured in '68' hence morrell took colts to sb 3. Sb 5 was his last hurrah and he was traded by new colts owner irsay shortly after.
I agree he was good, but he wasn't the QB god he is made to be. Top 10 or fifteen, sure. I see many saying top 2 or 3.
If everyone is throwing to guys only when they get open and he is able to through to where Raymond Berry will be open for that brief second where he cuts before the DB recovers and you are the best QB ever you need to win more than 2 championships. Yes, the two were impressive, but You had a shotgun and chainsaw in a world of medieval knights. I'll give you Jim Brown as the evil dead army, but shouldn't you be more impressive than 2 NFL championships?
I kinda wandered a bit there, but do you know what I mean?

Even if you substract Berry's numbers from Unitas' during the time both were together, Unitas still has more pass yds and TD than the guy next to him in the same period (Blanda and Jurgensen).

However, I agree with you in that he is a little overrated. IMO, top 10 QB, but not 5, even when they win.

Ironically, Morrall came in relief of Unitas in SB V, with the Colts losing 13-6. They end up winning the game because Dallas QB Craig Morton threw 2 picks that led to 10 points. Morrall accounted for 0 yds in those game tying and winning drives. They both played awful vs Jets in SB 3 as well.

In other words, every Colts QB plays mediocre in the Super Bowl, even when they win.

It's to the point now where even making this comparison is a compliment to Manning. He doesn't belong in this kind of conversation.

If he were to pull an Elway and get a championship late in his career with the Broncos, there would be an interesting thing to discuss -- first QB to win a Super Bowl with two different teams. But right now, his postseason are almost all flame-outs.

My thinking as I posted the updated stats in post #1 (Thanks for the corrections BTW) was to provide folks ammo for the forthcoming Manning is the greatest discussions this season.
Then it dawned on me. Aside from one or 2 utter morons, those debates simply won't be happening in 2015.

My thinking as I posted the updated stats in post #1 (Thanks for the corrections BTW) was to provide folks ammo for the forthcoming Manning is the greatest discussions this season.
Then it dawned on me. Aside from one or 2 utter morons, those debates simply won't be happening in 2015.

Or it'll be that Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time, but Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback in the NFL, and Peyton Manning is the greatest regular season in history. Wilson will be the "greatest young quarterback" and Andrew Luck will be "the future best in the league."

Apparently if you're not Tom Brady the GOAT, you still need a title, unless you're Tom Brady before ring #4, in which case you're just plain old Tom Brady, man in decline.

Too much freaking marketing and promotion in the NFL to the point that most of it is annoying.

I'm just looking forward to not having to listen to Phil Simms announce pouty-face as "arguably the greatest quarterback to ever play the game" 20 times a game, since he finally admitted Brady is GOAT.

I don't remember much about the game but wasn't Peyton's Superbowl MVP an absolute joke?

I don't remember much about the game but wasn't Peyton's Superbowl MVP an absolute joke?
I was listening to XM NFL Radio last year or so and Dominic Rhodes was a guest and the hosts told him he should have been SB MVP for that game and the only reason they voted for Peyton was because at that time they collected votes by halftime or end of the 3rd. They voted for Manning because he was a big name and this was before Rhodes took over the game. The host was actually upset that he voted for Manning. So basically he won because the voting system was flawed.

Also, BTW when TB gets his 5th (and he will) it will be time to rewrite what is important when judging the GOAT QB. Manning will have more yards. Montana will have never lost a SB. Warner wasn't even drafted and won, Rogers will have funnier commercials. Vinnie Testaverde could have played longer, Dan Fouts threw a better spiral blah blah blah

Its coming, trust me.

Tom Brady

THE ETERNAL CHAMPIION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back