PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady on EEI goes at D&C about running up the score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you tell J.D. Drew how well Sox players are treated on WEEI. Then, go tell Donovan McNabb how well QBs are treated in every city but Boston.

You're missing the point. Instead of having a conversation with an all-time great QB whose team is 10-0 and just blew out a team by an enormous margin, the WEEI goons find a way to focus on whatever negative they can and try to tear Brady and the Pats down. In no other city would this happen.

Oh, and another thing -- Brady's a fierce, competitive guy who, when not getting fired up on the field, gets fired up playing backgammon in the locker room. The guy clearly likes to do things that get him fired up.

Which kind of media appearance is more fun for him, the kind where the radio show host goes after him a bit and Brady gets to sound off on him, or the kind where he has to sit there and say "awwww, shucks" a whole bunch of times?

Do you really think that when taping ends after the show, there are any hard feelings left? Do you really think that D&C aren't saying "Tom, you were great today. That was some good radio there. Best of luck next week, maybe you guys can hang 60 on Philly!"

You're missing the point. Instead of having a conversation with an all-time great QB whose team is 10-0 and just blew out a team by an enormous margin, the WEEI goons find a way to focus on whatever negative they can and try to tear Brady and the Pats down. In no other city would this happen.

Have you ever even listened to sports radio outside of Boston?

As for your first "point," -- you might be a bit too sensitive for sports talk radio. They know their listeners enjoy conflict -- why else would they be sports fans? -- so that's what they give them on the radio.

It's not insulting, it's their jobs. They're not trying to "tear Brady and the Pats down," they're trying to keep things interesting in a season in which it's getting increasingly difficult to say anything about the Patriots except "Wow. Just.... wow."

Tom isn't some delicate flower that needs to be protected. He's not some diva pop singer who will throw a tantrum and lock himself in his hotel room and have a nervous breakdown if someone has the gall to disagree with him on the radio.

He knows what he's getting into when he appears on their show, and he does it willingly. He knows the type of crap they're going to say, and, most likely, he even knows that they're saying it to get a rise out of him, because two hours of "gosh, you guys are good" is pretty dull.

I'm not saying it's insulting to Tom or he needs to be protected, I'm saying it's insulting to the listener. It's crap, it poisons the minds of listeners with more negative BS. I have no problem with them disagreeing with Brady, or arguing with him on a point, but when they act like they're the moral arbiters of football and that they know better than Tom freakin' Brady on how the game should be played, it's disgusting. They should feel free to say, "You know, Tom, you raise some good points, I don't necessarily agree but I can see where you're coming from", but not the stupid, incessant whining they spew over and over. They're bad guys, and stupid men, and they don't deserve to have the opportunity to talk football with the best QB alive if they can't be at least a little civil and insightful.

I'm not saying it's insulting to Tom or he needs to be protected, I'm saying it's insulting to the listener. It's crap, it poisons the minds of listeners with more negative BS. I have no problem with them disagreeing with Brady, or arguing with him on a point, but when they act like they're the moral arbiters of football and that they know better than Tom freakin' Brady on how the game should be played, it's disgusting. They should feel free to say, "You know, Tom, you raise some good points, I don't necessarily agree but I can see where you're coming from", but not the stupid, incessant whining they spew over and over. They're bad guys, and stupid men, and they don't deserve to have the opportunity to talk football with the best QB alive if they can't be at least a little civil and insightful.

Civil and insightful?

Look around. Do you see anybody making money off of "civil and insightful?" ESPN is the most successful sports media entity in history, and "contentious and obvious" is practically their mantra. Think about shows like Around the Horn and PTI -- they've even figured out ways of getting some yelling and screaming in even when there aren't any guests on the shows.

Look, I agree with you about the annoying trend in sports media in which "class" seems to be the most popular team stat, and talking heads feel the need to see who can sound more like Moses coming down from Mount Sinai than the next guy.

Unfortunately, there's very little that the American audience seems to enjoy more than feeling superior to other people -- especially when those people get paid more than they do to "play a game." In this country, the only people vested with any oversight over the media is the media's audience. When people stop wanting contentious, moralistic media coverage, we'll get something else.

I don't see the trend reversing any time soon, though.

He knows what he's getting into when he appears on their show, and he does it willingly.

He does it because he gets paid.

I wouldn't be honest if the Brady appearance moves to the Big Show (next year) just like Boomer's did. D&C are clueless when it comes to football at this point.

Last edited:
He does it because he gets paid.

I wouldn't be honest if the Brady appearance moves to the Big Show (next year) just like Boomer's did. D&C are clueless when it comes to football at this point.

Uh, you do realize that WEEI's doesn't budget enough for appearance fees for the entire fiscal year to make a dent in Brady's bottom line, right?

Brady chooses to do these appearances because they're expected of a QB and team leader, and because it's part of maintaining good PR.

And if you're suggesting that Brady would pull out of his agreement with D&C because they have the nerve to go after him about something, you're insulting him far more than they did.

The points that Brady was trying to get across to D&C(without much success) was that he wants as much game time experience with Moss, Welker, Dante, K Brady etc, as he can get in order to reach that perfection level that he and the others are trying to attain. As he said, you don't get that simply with practice. He also said that he and the others work hard all week to play 60mins of football. He's not happy to come out early from a game when he feels the need to improve, regardless of the score.
IMO, Brady et al have gone beyond the scoreboard numbers, and are truly looking for that perfectly executed game.

Civil and insightful?

Look around. Do you see anybody making money off of "civil and insightful?" ESPN is the most successful sports media entity in history, and "contentious and obvious" is practically their mantra. Think about shows like Around the Horn and PTI -- they've even figured out ways of getting some yelling and screaming in even when there aren't any guests on the shows.

Look, I agree with you about the annoying trend in sports media in which "class" seems to be the most popular team stat, and talking heads feel the need to see who can sound more like Moses coming down from Mount Sinai than the next guy.

Unfortunately, there's very little that the American audience seems to enjoy more than feeling superior to other people -- especially when those people get paid more than they do to "play a game." In this country, the only people vested with any oversight over the media is the media's audience. When people stop wanting contentious, moralistic media coverage, we'll get something else.

I don't see the trend reversing any time soon, though.

Just because the "boo-yah" era of ESPN was successful for a while, doesn't mean I have to like it, or think that a couple of blowhards playing to the same audience are worthwhile listening. I don't think everyone wants the vapid, "everyone has to have an opinion and argue it to the death, no matter how ill-informed" style of broadcasting that's taken over as a result of ESPN's success. I hear people complain about ESPN all the time, not just Patriots fans but fans of all major sports and people who aren't even particularly engrossed in professional sports. There's a market out there for decent, thoughtful reporting, it just isn't being exploited because it's easier to go the other way and make money. I'm not going to refrain from taking shots at the jackasses though until things change, though. Around the Horn, Easterbrook, D+C, Screamin' A. Smith, Stuart Scott, the entirety of Foxsports, Pete Prisco, and any other whining, brainless sack of manufactured-controversy-exploiting crap out there can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned.

Just because the "boo-yah" era of ESPN was successful for a while, doesn't mean I have to like it, or think that a couple of blowhards playing to the same audience are worthwhile listening. I don't think everyone wants the vapid, "everyone has to have an opinion and argue it to the death, no matter how ill-informed" style of broadcasting that's taken over as a result of ESPN's success. I hear people complain about ESPN all the time, not just Patriots fans but fans of all major sports and people who aren't even particularly engrossed in professional sports. There's a market out there for decent, thoughtful reporting, it just isn't being exploited because it's easier to go the other way and make money. I'm not going to refrain from taking shots at the jackasses though until things change, though. Around the Horn, Easterbrook, D+C, Screamin' A. Smith, Stuart Scott, the entirety of Foxsports, Pete Prisco, and any other whining, brainless sack of manufactured-controversy-exploiting crap out there can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned.

If there were a real market void for "decent, thoughful reporting" to be filled, somebody would have come along and filled it. Few abstract entities are as adaptable and fluid as the media, especially "new" media, and all web evidence points in the opposite direction. The biggest non-corporate sports websites out there all trade in either snark, crude humor, gossip or a combination of the three.

The only true site that's trying to fill the void you imagine is my personal favorite source for NFL analysis, FootballOutsiders.com. They have managed to develope an audience which, though quite devoted, is comparatively small to the tabloid sports sites popping up, like Deadspin and PFT.

If there were a real market void for "decent, thoughful reporting" to be filled, somebody would have come along and filled it. Few abstract entities are as adaptable and fluid as the media, especially "new" media, and all web evidence points in the opposite direction. The biggest non-corporate sports websites out there all trade in either snark, crude humor, gossip or a combination of the three.

The only true site that's trying to fill the void you imagine is my personal favorite source for NFL analysis, FootballOutsiders.com. They have managed to develope an audience which, though quite devoted, is comparatively small to the tabloid sports sites popping up, like Deadspin and PFT.

I'm a fan of FootballOutsiders myself, as well as the snarkier but still analysis oriented Cold Hard Football Facts. I still do believe there is that void out there, the reason it's not being filled is because it takes a certain measure of skill and knowledge to fill such a niche, and it's much easier to just go for base humor and minimal substance and be successful. Deadspin is a cesspool of juvenile humor, degrading characterization and massive resentment and the community there reflects it, and that speaks to prevalence of the lowest common denominator, sewer-trolling masses (and PFT isn't even worth discussing). I don't think they outnumber more thoughtful and tactful people by such great quantities that there's no room for something a little bit more refined though.

Brady is great. He made D&C look like idiots. Every point he said made perfect sense and if they tried to debate it they just looked like fools. Way to go, Tom.

And if you're suggesting that Brady would pull out of his agreement with D&C because they have the nerve to go after him about something, you're insulting him far more than they did.

:rolleyes: Whatever.

And no, I'm saying that he'd pull b/c they insulted him, BB, & Charlie Weiss by directly or indirectly calling them all frauds, cheats and liars. Brady might not care what people say about him, but he's shown he does care what people say about those he respects, ie BB, as noted by the fact he went out of his way to call BB "the best coach ever" after the media beating he took.

I'm sure Brady doesn't sit around listening to D&C, but do you really think he'd be happy about hearing them say that the video tape material was used in game and claim that Brady, Weiss and everybody else who directly told them [on their own show] otherwise are liars?

Let's put it this way, would Brady do an interview for Easterbrook? Do you think Belichick is going to line up to let Tom Jackson grill him? No, BB gave him a "F**K off" instead, and Brady should do likewise to D&C. Are you calling Belichick a p*ssy b/c he didn't talk to Tom Jackson?

Last edited:
Brady is great. He made D&C look like idiots. Every point he said made perfect sense and if they tried to debate it they just looked like fools. Way to go, Tom.

So glad to hear he put them in their place, this along with the running up the score is getting really boring.. it is what it is, football it is the other team's responsibility to stop them.

If our D is pitching a shutout, should they let the other team score so they can feel better?? None of this makes any sense, I guess it makes interesting talk radio.. not much more.

If our D is pitching a shutout, should they let the other team score so they can feel better?? None of this makes any sense, I guess it makes interesting talk radio.. not much more.

Well put. (10 char)

First, it's in Brady's Patriot Contract to do the show. I remember when Felger put his latest contract - entire contract - on line, it had a clause about supporting WEEI in the weekly radio spot at a figure undisclosed.

Second, every time I listen to Brady I get more impressed. Is there an active superstar player today in any sport that truly gets it at the level that Tom Brady does? Seriously, what is not to love about this guy!?!?!? (Man Crush rising)

Third, as a season ticket holder why should I pay to see Matt Cassel? Hey, I like Matt, but I paid $45 to park, $$$ on beer, and a shiat load of money for my ticket to see Tom Brady, NFL legend, play football damit! If you pull him at half time, I, like the other 70,000 fans are going to feel ripped off - it would be a disgrace! Pulling a guy from a game because he is playing too good. Forget it!

Forth, D&C are idiots! Always have been, always will be!

Last edited:
I'm a fan of FootballOutsiders myself, as well as the snarkier but still analysis oriented Cold Hard Football Facts. I still do believe there is that void out there, the reason it's not being filled is because it takes a certain measure of skill and knowledge to fill such a niche, and it's much easier to just go for base humor and minimal substance and be successful. Deadspin is a cesspool of juvenile humor, degrading characterization and massive resentment and the community there reflects it, and that speaks to prevalence of the lowest common denominator, sewer-trolling masses (and PFT isn't even worth discussing). I don't think they outnumber more thoughtful and tactful people by such great quantities that there's no room for something a little bit more refined though.

I wish I believed as you did. I'm afraid, though, that all available evidence points to the contrary. If there really were an this untapped market for reasoned, sophisticated football analysis that you believe in, the few sites that provide it would be some of the most popular on the web. Instead, the opposite proves true -- the more salacious the site, the more visitors it gets.

The sad truth is that there are a lot of bright, football loving guys out there who would love nothing more than to give people detailed analysis and insightful reporting, and would be more than happy to put in the effort to do so, but can't, because they can't find anybody who's willing to pay them to, because it just doesn't make as much money.

[A final, incidental note -- I vehemently disagree that CHFF is any better. In fact, I think they're the worst -- they're just as based on posturing and baseless opinion-shouting as any site on the web, only they try to come off as "analysis" driven, and dealing in "cold hard facts." They wield statistics with the deftness of a gradeschooler, and, what's worse, are criminally careless in their application. Their whole raison d'etre is to break one of the cardinal rules of statistical analysis -- respect the limitations of your statistical model, and don't claim that the results mean more than they actually do. That's their bread and butter -- come up with some awkwardly thrown-together numbers, and then use them to jump to conclusions entirely unsupported by the stats they gave, which they then claim to be "Cold hard football facts."]

First, it's in Brady's Patriot Contract to do the show. I remember when Felger put his latest contract - entire contract - on line, it had a clause about supporting WEEI in the weekly radio spot at a figure undisclosed.

Interesting. Do you know if he's able to choose which shows he appears on or not? If so, it will be interesting to see if some poster's hunch that he's fed up enough with D&C to jump ship at the end of the season. I still think that, given Tom's competitive nature, he'd rather duke it out with some clowns who badger him than to have his you-know-whats washed by drooling sycophants on a weekly basis.

Second, every time I listen to Brady I get more impressed. Is there an active superstar player today in any sport that truly gets it at the level that Tom Brady does? Seriously, what is not to love about this guy!?!?!? (Man Crush rising)

The guy's impressive. As much as he's improved as a quarterback over the last six years, he's improved just as much at talking about being a quarterback. I'd bet money he's been consistently coached on talking to the media, and that he works just as hard at it as he does everything else he does.

Third, as a season ticket holder why should I pay to see Matt Cassel? Hey, I like Matt, but I paid $45 to park, $$$ on beer, and a shiat load of money for my ticket to see Tom Brady, NFL legend, play football damit! If you pull him at half time, I, like the other 70,000 fans are going to feel ripped off - it would be a disgrace! Pulling a guy from a game because he is playing too good. Forget it!

This is where you & I disagree. Tickets and concessions are a relatively small part of the teams' revenues. The vast majority of Patriots fans in the country won't see a single game in person this year, and yet, as a massive whole, will help provide the kind of market that makes a team -- and league -- so much money. Outnumbering the fans at the game as they do, their interests -- which span the entire season, and not just the games they attend -- have more weight, and what they want to see more than anything is the Pats win the SB.

If BB didn't think there was something to be gained by saving Brady's arm and reducing his exposure to injury by pulling him out in the 4th quarter, he wouldn't do it. He has a line to walk between giving the Pats' offense time to really cohere so they can do some even more amazing things in January, and between saving them, physically, for that time. I think we have to trust him in this one, and figure that when Cassel's in the game, it's because our coach thinks it's in the overall best interest of the team and its fans.

They may be idiots, but, as I said before, they got some great radio out of Brady today, so they're doing their job well.

Last edited:

It's funny but Denise & Cathy never talk about the increased possibility of injuries to those who play on defense if the Patriot offense did what they wanted and laid down like dogs.
I know their knowledge of sports is quite limited.
Don't they realize if our offense isn't on the field then our defense is??? :bricks:

Last edited:
Only in Boston does the best QB to ever play the game have to explain himself to his hometown talk radio. Absolutely disgusting.

Amen Brother.
It's the most twisted home town media in the U.S.A.
Makes Mike Tyson look like a choirboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye