PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady not a "great" player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain why Joe Namath is even near "great" his career stats are awful, and he only won one Superbowl.

Last edited:
Why feed the troll?

Some db says someone is a very, very ,very good player instead of great. The douche is trying to split hairs, and obviously has no objective (or point) except stirring up a bunch of garbage. Ignore the little attention hoe, and get ready for an amazing ride... Brady's got a ton of new weapons.

Brady's great days are over. He is very very very good, but I like reserving great for the truly great.

Manning and Brees are great right now.

Flame away.

How would you know what "great" is being a Jest fan? :eek:

Brady has 2 more rings than both Manning and Brees and a
helmet, look what I found, catch away form having another.

He's been to 4 SB's and that 4 more than the Jest have been to in 41 years. So, how do you measure "great"?

It's as if Michael Silver launched international dump on Brady week... Apparently PTI weighed in today and they cavalierly opined that if Belichick thinks he can do better for less he obviously will...LOL

Mediots are such lemmings...

Boston would literally eat Belichick and Kraft alive if they let Brady walk.

Video assistant.

No joke, that's still the path I believe the walkthrough taping rumor originally emanated from... Being housed in the same building doesn't give PFW any more access to Bill than you or I or Michael Felger has. What it does give them is access to every disgruntled or full of himself whackjob or wannabe intern on the payroll.

Brady's great days are over. He is very very very good, but I like reserving great for the truly great.

Where's the support for your statement?
An opinion is only as good as its support, otherwise, it's "look-at-me" blather.

Flame away.

No flames. We can't know, so you might be right about Brady. And, since we can't know, you might also be wrong. That's the benefit, in logic, of making statements based on an unverifiable or even false premise (in this case unverifiable); one can pretty much say anything one wants, without fear of rational contradiction. So, we'll have to wait and see. I think Brady and P. Manning both have a few more "great" seasons in them, but they haven't played them yet, so we can't know.

You use the phrases "great" and "truly great," but I'll assume they are interchangeable.

Brady and P. Manning have clearly both passed all of the tests, stats- and/or championships-wise to be confident that they will be regarded as among the "greats" and/or "truly greats," when they are enshrined in Canton. The numbers supporting that statement are old and familiar.

As for where they are, comparatively, today. P. Manning put up Pass Ratings of 99.9 (last year) and 95.0 (2008) in his last two competitive seasons; Brady put up 96.2 last year and 117.2 (2007). So, it's really pretty hard to say that one is "still great" and the other isn't. But, as I said in my opening remark, since the premise is unverifiable, you can say anything you want.

As for where Brees belongs, there is no doubt that he has been "playing" great (or truly great) recently. In addition, my personal view is that he has had the misfortune of playing for coaches and/or teams where he has been unable, until recently, to perform at the level at which he belongs.

But, he hasn't put up the body of work in terms either of championships or stats to be considered in the same league as P. Manning or Brady. Over the years, he's shown flashes of excellence, but has also been inconsistent. He has been in the league only one year less than Brady and two years less than P. Manning, but there is still plenty of time for him to make the kind of impact that I think he can make and that will get him into the category of "great."

Flame away.
I can't wait to hear the reasons.

Flame away.
First of all, Manning is not great. If he was, he wouldn't have thrown that pick 6 to seal the game for the Colts. Brees on the other hand, is great right now. However, Brees was lucky to even be in the super bowl had Favre not been such a dumb a** and run for 5-10 yards to most likely seal a victory for the Vikings.

As for Brady, I said this during and after the season that after the Buffalo comeback, he blew a lot of games for the Pats this season. Maybe it was because he's not full strength from his injury? Saying it was the personnel might be a stupid argument when he's won a super bowl with way less. I think it's a combination between him fully recovering from his injury and horrendous play calling/ game planning. And I thought 2005-2006 was bad? Bill O'Brien has his work cut out for him. Since Brady is almost 2 years removed from his injury, I expect him to be more "Brady" like this season.

Last edited:

Flame away.

Why bother? You're just a Jets fan looking for attention to take away from the glaring problem that Revis is holding out. Go deal with your own problems.

Brady's deal will get done. What some 'unnamed source' says is irrelevant until credibility is established and there is NONE.

If brady isn't great than who is? Quote must have been taken over an alchohol laden past weekend. even if this was true, then who is great right now? Certaintly not Manning, everyone and their uncle knew that pick6 was coming on a slant. Called it at the begininning of the drive, and called the play before the snap. I would give Brees the nod, but the weapons around him would make the Jersey Kid look servicable. Seems to me the moron was defining great on one season, when I would say the label must fit a body of work spanning atleast 3-4 seasons. By this definition, both Manning (postseason excluded!) and Brady fit the bill, and i might even throw in Big Ben (offseason not included). If Brees can come back and perform at a similar level next year I'll throw him in the mix.

First of all, Manning is not great. If he was, he wouldn't have thrown that pick 6 to seal the game for the Colts. Brees on the other hand, is great right now. However, Brees was lucky to even be in the super bowl had Favre not been such a dumb a** and run for 5-10 yards to most likely seal a victory for the Vikings.

As for Brady, I said this during and after the season that after the Buffalo comeback, he blew a lot of games for the Pats this season. Maybe it was because he's not full strength from his injury? Saying it was the personnel might be a stupid argument when he's won a super bowl with way less. I think it's a combination between him fully recovering from his injury and horrendous play calling/ game planning. And I thought 2005-2006 was bad? Bill O'Brien has his work cut out for him. Since Brady is almost 2 years removed from his injury, I expect him to be more "Brady" like this season.

PolarBearFacepalm.jpg

I'm guessing you didn't like what I said about the game planning/play calling as you have stuck up for O'Brien in the past. Followed by disagreeing with what I said about Brady.

Your whole post was pretty much a train wreck.

1.) Manning is a great QB. When his career is done, he'll be considered one of the top 20 QBs in NFL history by the vast majority of NFL fans, reporters and analysts.

2.) One pick six doesn't make the great suddenly not great. If it did, Brady's performance against the Broncos a few years back would eliminate him from the ranks. His pick (not a pick-6, but still) in the AFCCG against the Colts would also keep him from the ranks.

3.) Favre couldn't run because of his ankle, and there wasn't a chance in hell of him getting 5-10 yards on that play.

I could move on to the paragraph regarding the Patriots, but it would be a waste of time.

Your whole post was pretty much a train wreck.
1.) Manning is a great QB. When his career is done, he'll be considered one of the top 20 QBs in NFL history by the vast majority of NFL fans, reporters and analysts.
I'm talking post season. During the regular season, Manning is probably the best. But when it comes to the post season, it's not shocking when he doesn't step his game up.

2.) One pick six doesn't make the great suddenly not great. If it did, Brady's performance against the Broncos a few years back would eliminate him from the ranks. His pick (not a pick-6, but still) in the AFCCG against the Colts would also keep him from the ranks.
Brady still helped win 3 super bowls for the Pats, 2 of which were game winning drives because the defense couldn't seal the deal.

3.) Favre couldn't run because of his ankle, and there wasn't a chance in hell of him getting 5-10 yards on that play.
Yes, he could've at least got 5 yards as there wasn't anybody in the area.

I could move on to the paragraph regarding the Patriots, but it would be a waste of time.
It probably would be a waste of time because what is there to argue about?

I'm talking post season. During the regular season, Manning is probably the best. But when it comes to the post season, it's not shocking when he doesn't step his game up.

Way to move those goalposts!

Brady still helped win 3 super bowls for the Pats, 2 of which were game winning drives because the defense couldn't seal the deal.

That's irrelevant to the claim you made. Manning helped win a Super Bowl for the Colts, too.

Yes, he could've at least got 5 yards as there wasn't anybody in the area.

No, he couldn't have.

It probably would be a waste of time because what is there to argue about?

Exactly. You're so ridiculously wrong that it's not worth the effort.

Way to move those goalposts!
No, read my original post again. He's great in the regular season but not the post season. But I will back track on Brees as he's playing great at QB right now, but he's only been and won one super bowl.
That's irrelevant to the claim you made. Manning helped win a Super Bowl for the Colts, too.
Brady 3, Manning 1? :confused:
No, he couldn't have.
That's your opinion.
Exactly. You're so ridiculously wrong that it's not worth the effort.
You'll see my post in the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore