PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady, Manning, Brees "It's Time for a Deal!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:

It's funny, I really can't for the life of me understand how anyone could become so staunchly on the side of owners.

I hope anyone following the NBA CBA situation has realized the perspective it puts on the NFL owners. The NFL owners are just looking to stretch out as much money as they can. That's fine, that's businessmen, that's what they oughta do. But to suggest that greed isn't behind their actions this summer is just naive.

NFL owners are already in a great situation, and they are just looking to make it even greater. The average NFL player is not a Brady, Brees or Manning who goes on to live a luxurious life. Far from it. To suggest these owners should "punish" the NFL players...well, I just don't know how you get there.

Contrast that to the NBA, in which a lot of teams are legitimately losing money, and the players, even the crappy ones, are hugely overpaid (consider that Rashard Lewis made $22 million this year...or that Avery Bradley made 3x what Danny Woodhead did or that Brian Scalabrine would have the fourth highest base salary if he were on the Patriots, LOL!). The NBA owners actions are not one of greed - but of desperation. Do I feel bad for them? Absolutely not. But, at least, I could understand someone staunchly being behind the owners in that CBA disagreement.
I don't know how you can take either side frankly.
The correct amount for either side to demand is the most they can get. I don't know how that gets called greed. Maybe I just have a different definition of greed.
The NFLPA* exists for the purpose of squeezing every penny it can out of the owners for their players.
The companies that own NFL teams exist to maximize profit.
That is their purpose. For either side to be consider on better moral ground is silly to me. They are exactly the same, 2 sides that are diametrically opposed. Everything one side gets it takes from the other and everything it doesn't get the other side takes from them.
There is only 'labor peace' when both sides think they bled the other one as much as possible.
I don't get how people think these deals get done by one side giving in on something they could have won but they just decided to be magnanimous.

I can't believe the highest paid players in the league want a deal :D What does Zoltan Mesko think about this? He can probably make more money kicking hamburgers through a drive-thru window.

Breer's reporting good progress on the rookie salary issue:

Significant progress on rookie salary system today. In fact, if the parties can work out a couple minor issues, it could be solved. ...

... The resolution of this issue would be very big in these talks. As of now, it's the biggest outstanding issue.

Again, there's still a lot of other things to work through. But I'm told the movement on rookie salaries does represent a breakthrough.

Breer on Twitter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results