PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady in the Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Was it just me or did it seem like Tom was backing straight up to avoid the rush? Im watching Tony Romo and Eli Manning move around and earlier I was watching Cutler do the same thing. Brady would drop straight back and he was forced to throw the ball of his back foot causing inaccurate passes. IMO a big reason why Brady struggled so much was because of his inability to maneuver around in the pocket to buy more time. Granted the Jets were all over him today and Im surprised we didnt screen the Hell out of them if we are going to beat teams with good pass rushing ability like the Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Giants, (Yeah I know we dont play them in the regular season) etc... We need to be able to Run the Ball, Run more screens, and Brady will need to do a better job of maneuvering around in the pocket....PS. I think all three are far inferior to Brady as passers and QB's but they are better athletes.

Brady is making technique errors and there doesn't seem to be anyone there to help.

After Peyton's troubles last year, it does make sense that Brady will need some time to get back to 100%. But there should be some folks who run the show. After all they are getting paid to be QB coach and OC and head coach for that matter.

. IMO a big reason why Brady struggled so much was because of his inability to maneuver around in the pocket to buy more time.

I'd only like to add, that there were two plays i noticed where he did move out of the pocket, and had time to set his feet, yet he didnt. He threw off his back foot, causing 2 bad throws, and the rush was not on him yet.

He'll get it worked out. I hope :cool:

Brady is making technique errors and there doesn't seem to be anyone there to help.

After Peyton's troubles last year, it does make sense that Brady will need some time to get back to 100%. But there should be some folks who run the show. After all they are getting paid to be QB coach and OC and head coach for that matter.

Just a rumor, but I heard they're going to bring in a certain past president of a Pats fan club in a mountain west state (with its own time zone) to work with Brady.

why not bring in mike shanahan to help like they did with dom capers last year on D

What u are talking about was demonstrated on the NBC Football America broadcast before the DAL-NYG game by Tony Dungy. Before the snap the Jets had a single high safety to the right which told Brady the blitz was coming from the right so Brady moved Faulk to the right. So at the snap instead of Brady go directly backwards he drifts to the left which allows the end come directly at himand Brady doesn't step into the throw where he misses galloway wide to the right who was open on an out on 3rd down on the second to last drive (with about 4 mins. left in the game) by the patriots

What u are talking about was demonstrated on the NBC Football America broadcast before the DAL-NYG game by Tony Dungy. Before the snap the Jets had a single high safety to the right which told Brady the blitz was coming from the right so Brady moved Faulk to the right. So at the snap instead of Brady go directly backwards he drifts to the left which allows the end come directly at himand Brady doesn't step into the throw where he misses galloway wide to the right who was open on an out on 3rd down on the second to last drive (with about 4 mins. left in the game) by the patriots

that was certainly one of them

But I'm pretty sure most people blamed this on Galloway

But I'm pretty sure most people blamed this on Galloway

most of the 'fans' i was sitting with were blaming everything on the WRs. Its as if, some people think Brady is incapable of having a bad game.

Was it just me or did it seem like Tom was backing straight up to avoid the rush? Im watching Tony Romo and Eli Manning move around and earlier I was watching Cutler do the same thing. Brady would drop straight back and he was forced to throw the ball of his back foot causing inaccurate passes. IMO a big reason why Brady struggled so much was because of his inability to maneuver around in the pocket to buy more time. Granted the Jets were all over him today and Im surprised we didnt screen the Hell out of them if we are going to beat teams with good pass rushing ability like the Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Giants, (Yeah I know we dont play them in the regular season) etc... We need to be able to Run the Ball, Run more screens, and Brady will need to do a better job of maneuvering around in the pocket....PS. I think all three are far inferior to Brady as passers and QB's but they are better athletes.

i'm not an OC and don't claim to know as much about this as a lot of folks out here, but I thought that he wasn't "backing straight up," but actually drifting to his left and leaving the pocket before it was formed...but I'll let people who know more about this than I do tell me why I'm wrong on that...

A few things are off but it's a work in progress. To me he showed enough awareness in he pocket that I was optimistic. Several times he should have been sacked but he made some pretty deft moves to avoid the sack. I was not pessimistic about his play at all. I do agree that he had technique problems and wasn't setting up right, but as for navigating 20 blitzes by moving around the pocket, I was very optimistic. He'll be in a comfort zone soon, and he'll be able to step into those throws and we will all be singing his praises. Very few NFL QBs could navigate the pocket the way Brady did yesterday. His throwing motion, however, was not the stuff of an elite NFL QB.

I've seen Brady have just as bad a game in crucial moments. For instance, the AFC Championship against the Chargers in 07. He looked bad that day. This happens sometimes.

I was listening to WEEI this morning and there is a segment every Monday morning with Boomer Esiason. Anyway, clearly Brady is not 100% back mentally from the knee injury- but Boomer seems to believe that the shoulder issue is more problematic than the team lets on.

Last edited:
I was listening to WEEI this morning and there is a segment every Monday morning with Boomer Esiason. Anyway, clearly Brady is not 100% back mentally from the knee injury- but Boomer seems to believe that the shoulder issue is more problematic than the team lets on.

Well that is information we can all take to the bank!

Conjecture from Esiason, with no inside information, that the QB with 100 passes in the first 2 games has a problem with his shoulder. Hmmmm....should I believe Esiason or Brady and the Pats......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe