PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brace Yourselves - We're in For A Tough Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Guys once and for all ..the primary reason for the success of a running game starts with the OFFENSIVE LINE blocking play...When BJGE or any of our backs get holes opened..they have a good ypc number...when they don't do their job.....the RB gets stuffed or struggles. Why did Hillis run all over the Pats yesterday? Because their OL controlled the line iof scrimmage and destroyed our D....Having an old and injured Fred Taylor in there isn't going to make a bit of a difference if the OL keeps laying eggs....

Of course the O-line is essential. But you're underplaying the role of a good running back a bit, too.

They are 6-2 and will certainly be in the playoffs, pretty damn good for rebuilding.

I agree and BB is probably as surprised as anyone....there was a article posted on here (forget who) discussing how rare it is to be winning while rebuilding. Yesterday's nightmare is what normally happens during rebuilding years!!......unfortunately going to be more of those blowouts this year...as Ian says...be ready for it!

I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned is how, particularly with a young team, just a couple of plays can turn a game around--even a blowout. You take away Gronk's 2 miscues yesterday and the Pats are probably leading at the half, and away we go. As it was, things slipped away, which screwed up the gameplan on both sides of the ball.

Now, letting a guy run for 200 yards is another issue, of course...

Of course the O-line is essential. But you're underplaying the role of a good running back a bit, too.

Fair enough. I suppose Adrian Peterson would have gotten 3 yrds to BJGE'S 1.8 yesterday...our OL was basically nonexistent..

Fair enough. I suppose Adrian Peterson would have gotten 3 yrds to BJGE'S 1.8 yesterday...our OL was basically nonexistent..

Woodhead have a 6 yard average. I don't know what offensive line you were looking at that you thought was nonexistent, but it wasn't the Patriots line.

quite simply, I fear we will be annihilated. If the boys put up a good fight, then well, I guess they're still my team. If perchance, they should win next week, then I'll let my hopes get sky high.

Wow. I might actually cheer for the Pats getting blown out, if it will purge the fanbase of people like you.

R

Guys once and for all ..the primary reason for the success of a running game starts with the OFFENSIVE LINE blocking play...When BJGE or any of our backs get holes opened..they have a good ypc number...when they don't do their job.....the RB gets stuffed or struggles. Why did Hillis run all over the Pats yesterday? Because their OL controlled the line iof scrimmage and destroyed our D....Having an old and injured Fred Taylor in there isn't going to make a bit of a difference if the OL keeps laying eggs....

Thank you. I have been trying to get this point across in many threads and no one seems to agree. The OL's poor play this year has effected the entire offense, both the running game and Bradys play. Although I will say it is tough not really having an every down RB and that does have an effect on the poor running game, but the run blocking has been terrible all year. Not having a consistent running game makes it so much easier for opposing defenses and it is having an effect on Brady and the passing game.

For those who think the OL has done a good job protecting Brady this year, Brady has been sacked 13 times this year. Last year he was sacked a total of 16. He has been given a ton of time on certain plays this year, but that is when the defense only rushes 3 and 4 guys, once a team blitzes its all over and Brady is always under pressure and he is not a good QB when he is under pressure. Another difference is the pressure has been coming from up the middle instead of coming off the edge like in years past where Brady has been able to step up and still make a play. Brady struggles with pressure up the middle. The OLs play this year should not be over looked as one of the major issues with the offense

The offense would be fine if they were on the field for 30 minutes a game. Having a defense that allows 3rd downs at will and allows opponents to complet over 70% of their passes does not help the offense. In the end, the defense has to do better.

With regard to the offense, we are #5 or #6 in almost all the passing categories and run for over 100 yards per game and 4.1 YPC. That's plenty to win in this league, especially in a year without any elite teams (well maybe there is one; we'll see next weekend).

Oddly enough, I had this team at 6-4 through ten games, but still winning the division this year. I just didn't think it might shake out the way it could. The NFL is a gauntlet this year. We probably won't see a 13-game winner this year, and even 12-game winners might be scarce.

There is a decent chance that JETS, PATS, RAVENS or STEELERS, and INDY all end up 12-4. If we overtake NYJ in a tiebreaker, we could have best conference record if we sweep PITT and INDY over next 2 weeks.

The Pats beat Baltimore who is as good as any team in the NFL. I think they can beat anyone. They could lose the next two games or win both. The Steelers have been trending down losing last week and should have lost to the Dolphins if the refs didn't screw up the call on Roethlisburger's fumble into the end zone. The Colts aren't a good road team and beat up really bad right now.

I am chaulking up yesterday as a young team who looked past their opponent (Wilfork even said the Pats played like they practiced during the week). Until they prove otherwise, that what yesterday looked like. This team should be focused for the upcoming two games.

But in the same breath, you think the Jets team that came out of the bye against the Packers is the team for the rest of the season and are beatable.

It's funny how only the Pats get a rosy spin on their performance, but the rival teams, mainly the Jets, that is who they are when they struggle.

heh...Patriot fan since the start.Been through way more thin than thick. This preseason, I looked at this roster and figured 8-8, with this schedule,would be reasonable...hope they went 9-7 with a shot at the postseason and dreamed a homer's dream of 10-6. What I feared ,looking at this roster in August, was a 5-11, 6-10 step back. The way the press is and the expectations of the blue hat crowd would have artificially created a gigantic sh!tstorm of negativity making just a fan, like me,sit back and wait for the dust to settle.

I've held season tickets and sat through 2-14 seasons and can honestly say those were some of the best of times just to be a fan....to know your team is overmatched, to watch them claw and fight, to sit there with other fans ,game after game, season after season....tailgating,making new friends, sitting it out to the end every game, no matter the cold, rain ,snow,lousy beer,lightning strikes,steamroller beatings...whatever. Those days make THESE days worth every minute I devote to the Patriots.

They got rolled in Cleveland. Period. All this b!tching and moaning like little spoiled pi$$ants rings hollow.I hope they play a more disciplined ,focused game in Pittsburgh...that's all I ask as a fan...give us your best.

Shaping up to be a hell of a stretch run.

Not to pour vinegar on the wound here, but I've said in the past Moss would be a huge loss.

Pats problem IMO is they have to do a lot to mask their weaknesses. Their running game doesn't threaten anybody, they've had marginal success in the draw plays because the passing game was so well respected with Brady, thing is, without Moss, the Pat WR's don't scare defenses, this has allowed defenses to play closer to the LOS, which has directly impacted the overall effect of the short passing game. Pats don't have anybody to stretch the field on a consistent basis, and now their running game, or lack thereof will struggle.

Young defense, an inconsistent defense, not a good formula if a team is to have success in the post-season, no running game, poor defense, and now a short passing attack that is exposed without Moss, not a good combo.

But, I'll never put it past Belichick to rig something up, and you still have Brady.

Sanchez has had a couple of up and down weeks, but for the first time in his career took charge and lead his team in a comeback victory, the first of its kind. The criticism against him, has been that he can't be asked to win a game, well, now he's done that. The turnovers and penalties are a matter of focus, that can be cleaned up, needs to be cleaned up if they have aspirations to get to the dance.

Still a Pats/Jets race.

heh...Patriot fan since the start.Been through way more thin than thick. This preseason, I looked at this roster and figured 8-8, with this schedule,would be reasonable...hope they went 9-7 with a shot at the postseason and dreamed a homer's dream of 10-6. What I feared ,looking at this roster in August, was a 5-11, 6-10 step back. The way the press is and the expectations of the blue hat crowd would have artificially created a gigantic sh!tstorm of negativity making just a fan, like me,sit back and wait for the dust to settle.

I've held season tickets and sat through 2-14 seasons and can honestly say those were some of the best of times just to be a fan....to know your team is overmatched, to watch them claw and fight, to sit there with other fans ,game after game, season after season....tailgating,making new friends, sitting it out to the end every game, no matter the cold, rain ,snow,lousy beer,lightning strikes,steamroller beatings...whatever. Those days make THESE days worth every minute I devote to the Patriots.

They got rolled in Cleveland. Period. All this b!tching and moaning like little spoiled pi$$ants rings hollow.I hope they play a more disciplined ,focused game in Pittsburgh...that's all I ask as a fan...give us your best.

Excellent post, Joker. It seems a lot of people these days have no patience and the attention span of a gnat. We win and the playoffs are a cinch. We lose and everyone's thinking about the draft. Folks need a perspective check.

Shaping up to be a hell of a stretch run.

Not to pour vinegar on the wound here, but I've said in the past Moss would be a huge loss.

Pats problem IMO is they have to do a lot to mask their weaknesses. Their running game doesn't threaten anybody, they've had marginal success in the draw plays because the passing game was so well respected with Brady, thing is, without Moss, the Pat WR's don't scare defenses, this has allowed defenses to play closer to the LOS, which has directly impacted the overall effect of the short passing game. Pats don't have anybody to stretch the field on a consistent basis, and now their running game, or lack thereof will struggle.

Young defense, an inconsistent defense, not a good formula if a team is to have success in the post-season, no running game, poor defense, and now a short passing attack that is exposed without Moss, not a good combo.

But, I'll never put it past Belichick to rig something up, and you still have Brady.

Sanchez has had a couple of up and down weeks, but for the first time in his career took charge and lead his team in a comeback victory, the first of its kind. The criticism against him, has been that he can't be asked to win a game, well, now he's done that. The turnovers and penalties are a matter of focus, that can be cleaned up, needs to be cleaned up if they have aspirations to get to the dance.

Still a Pats/Jets race.

If not for a missed point after he has no comeback...honestly. The JETS and the Steelers are as susceptible to a couple of more losses as we are and they don't have the rebuilding excuse...This was the JETS all in season and if the Steelers could just survive Ben's suspension they were supposed to be golden. The Colts are really staggering on the road. The Steelers are a crap shoot who won on defense against poor competition before Ben returned and are at his mercy since his return. He hasn't been consistent since his first season in the league...

People here have forgotten that a season isn't about going undefeated or you suck. Any more than it's about you catch a couple of breaks and you're a world beater...

Maybe instead of reminding most of us that it may not always be smooth sailing, Ian should invest in a shovel like Bill did and bury some of the losers who can't even maintain perspective when they don't stop every drive or convert every down... The same people (some of whom I'm sure are posting in this thread in support of reasonable expectations...) who have literally ruined the game thread and post game analysis for the vast majority of posters who used to participate in them.

Pete Roszelle's dream has come true this season. The NFL this season is truly defined by parity. Any team can beat any team on any given Sunday. There is no dominant team in the NFL this year.

I wrote this in the Moss thread, but it's time to get realistic.

They're about to play two very tough football teams, both of which could potentially give this team its first three game skid - and some of you need to get mentally prepared for that fact. I'm hoping they at least split these next two, but I know they're going to have a tough go of it these next two weeks.

One thing to keep in mind, we're fortunate that the whole league isn't very good this year, and anything can happen. So when the dust settles, try and remember that if they continue the season and finish at least .500 over the final eight games, the odds are pretty good they'll get a shot at the postseason. So it's time to focus on trying to take some of the positives from each loss and think about how they can try and improve going forward. Unless you like driving yourself - and the rest of us - completely crazy.

Ian, I think that starts with the moderators- keeping the game threads a positive place in which to discuss football is going to require a lot more hands on monitoring than we had this past Sunday in the game thread, which was one of the worse threads this forum has produced. As more than one poster in this thread has mentioned, it just puts people in a bad mood.

I really think that it is worth it to lose a few posters for sake of conserving the general decorum. And I don't mean permanently banning posters, but removing them from the game thread should be a healthy deterrent.

I wrote this in the Moss thread, but it's time to get realistic.

They're about to play two very tough football teams, both of which could potentially give this team its first three game skid - and some of you need to get mentally prepared for that fact. I'm hoping they at least split these next two, but I know they're going to have a tough go of it these next two weeks.

One thing to keep in mind, we're fortunate that the whole league isn't very good this year, and anything can happen. So when the dust settles, try and remember that if they continue the season and finish at least .500 over the final eight games, the odds are pretty good they'll get a shot at the postseason. So it's time to focus on trying to take some of the positives from each loss and think about how they can try and improve going forward. Unless you like driving yourself - and the rest of us - completely crazy.
i know your the king here but i have to be honest. this is one of the worst threads i have ever read. im sorry. there is no reason why the pats cant win at least one or both of these games. last time i checked the steelers have two in the loss column. how did that happen? and the colts have three in the l column. again how? they are both beatable.

If not for a missed point after he has no comeback...honestly. The JETS and the Steelers are as susceptible to a couple of more losses as we are and they don't have the rebuilding excuse...This was the JETS all in season and if the Steelers could just survive Ben's suspension they were supposed to be golden. The Colts are really staggering on the road. The Steelers are a crap shoot who won on defense against poor competition before Ben returned and are at his mercy since his return. He hasn't been consistent since his first season in the league...

That's false, the only reason they got an extra point attempt was because a roughing the kicker penalty gave them a new set of downs. You can't say a play in the 3rd quarter decided the game, many other plays made before the end of it.

That's false, the only reason they got an extra point attempt was because a roughing the kicker penalty gave them a new set of downs. You can't say a play in the 3rd quarter decided the game, many other plays made before the end of it.

It sure did decide the game. If that kick is good there is no Jet comeback, simple as that. They wouldnt have been able to get a TD during the last minute, also when you are down 2 TDs you are in a completely different mindset. Of course a play in the 3rd quarter can decide a game, any play can

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back