PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boy, are we gonna love Revis...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defense right now has a lot of potential we just need to stay healthy. The only thing that could make our defense bad would be if everyone gets hurt. If every can stay healthy watch out we will have a very good defense.

You need to watch this guy live. I've been to a bunch of Pats/Jets game and you can just spend a game watching him just shut down WRs. He allowed Rex to play aggressive, blitzing football. He's one of the players in this league that i pay money to watch. You can't appreciate him on TV because so much of what he does isn't shown.

Top 5 defensive players
1 JJ Watt
2 Revis
3 Earl Thomas
4 Geno Atkins
5 Patrick Peterson

The more Aquib Talib runs his piehole the more I love Darrelle Revis. Belichick had the balls to not go over what he determined Talib's real value to be and somehow managed to replace a guy who only plays in the regular season with the best defensive back of his era, one who actually deserves what he is getting paid. And i can honestly say that if Revis suffers a bruise in next year's play-offs he will find a way to play through it.

Without quoting page after page from the book, it is clear that Revis is a film room junkie. As in watching as much film as Tom Brady. Also, a real stickler for the scout team guys giving him accurate looks on the routes he will be defending. That's where his leadership is going to show up.

Also, when NFL players go out on Thursday nights, he goes to a movie or stays home and sleeps... He sounds like he's 100% football.

He is going to LOVE playing for Belichick.

You need to watch this guy live. I've been to a bunch of Pats/Jets game and you can just spend a game watching him just shut down WRs. He allowed Rex to play aggressive, blitzing football. He's one of the players in this league that i pay money to watch. You can't appreciate him on TV because so much of what he does isn't shown.

And this is why football is not conducive to metrics based analysis, because they don't demonstrate the impact that other players have on the numbers a certain player may or may not achieve. Everything in football is interdependent and the PFF's of the world try to treat it like baseball and act as if it is all a matter of individual match-ups that result in individual stats. Revis changes the game in more ways than simply covering his reciver, he changes the balance on the field and allows other players to do more than they would be able to do without him out there, and that's why he's a special player, as are guys like Brady, Wilfork, Welker, Moss etc.... they are special players and they make everyone around them better because they change the way opposing teams have to play.

And this is why football is not conducive to metrics based analysis, because they don't demonstrate the impact that other players have on the numbers a certain player may or may not achieve. Everything in football is interdependent and the PFF's of the world try to treat it like baseball and act as if it is all a matter of individual match-ups that result in individual stats. Revis changes the game in more ways than simply covering his reciver, he changes the balance on the field and allows other players to do more than they would be able to do without him out there, and that's why he's a special player, as are guys like Brady, Wilfork, Welker, Moss etc.... they are special players and they make everyone around them better because they change the way opposing teams have to play.

That's why football is great, for every great play there is an unsung hero who had a major impact. I've never seen a great long run, without a couple of huge blocks, a deep TD catch without great blocking. How about coverage sacks, or the nose tackle plowing through the middle to allow the end to make a play. Metrics are a small part of the game. It's why some schlub can't come off the streets and coach.

I have modest hopes. Just let us get back to the level of quality defense we had the 1st few years of this decade. That D always put the team in a position to make plays to win and conversely stopped opponents' comeback heroics.

Sadly, that D's last year was the year Brady went down. Who knows what they could have accomplished playing a weaker schedule and coming off of a 16-0 season with Tommy LomBrady at the peak of his prime.

You could see this defense getting better the last couple of years. It's why I kept changing my sig line as they improved.

And now we have Darrelle Revis leading that young and improving defense. Yeow!

The Jets games should be classics.

That's why football is great, for every great play there is an unsung hero who had a major impact. I've never seen a great long run, without a couple of huge blocks, a deep TD catch without great blocking. How about coverage sacks, or the nose tackle plowing through the middle to allow the end to make a play. Metrics are a small part of the game. It's why some schlub can't come off the streets and coach.

Couldn't agree more. There is so much going on that we don't see because of the complexity of the game that really understanding the game is well beyond most posters. That's not to say there aren't people who are truly knowledgeable about it but more that the average fan only has a limited understanding of what they are talking about. Vince Wilfork has been making those around him much better player's for a long time because he has been so dominant that opposing teams have to focus n dealing with him. The same is true for JJ Watt, Calvin Johnson, Revis and the other truly great players in football. And the fact that it is the absence of numbers that really addresses how dominant Revis and some other great players are demonstrates this very well imo. Personally i think that the fact there there are no Nose Tackles in the Hall of Fame is a travesty, and it is one that is primarily due to a lack of stats. Vince Wilfork is a Hall of fame caliber player, but he will probably never see it because he spent his entire career double and triple teamed, that made everyone around him much better and that should really be the main criteria for the HOF imo, sustained dominance over a long career.

OK. I can't resist. One more quote. This a quote from Rex Ryan in a section of the book on the Jets' coaches meeting going over the bye-week self-scouting report:

Revis, they agreed, had won them three games all by himself. “Best player in the league not named Brady,” Ryan said.

Dawidoff, Nicholas (2013-11-19). Collision Low Crossers: A Year Inside the Turbulent World of NFL Football (Kindle Locations 4870-4871). Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition.

Yes, but you should be able to identify such double-teams (or even chip blocks, etc) by watching each player and grading each play based upon this factor as well. If PFF does this I dont know, but I think they do. It's almost similar to the stat ole' Revis shines in... passes not thrown his way! And for such great players remember how often we used to hear, "well, if he's so good, where are all the INT's?" (Hint: INTs are related to passes attempted you big dummies). So yes, show me numbers of double teams vs single teams, yards gained up the middle for NT's when single, double or triple teamed, sacks by DE's with or wo/a TE chip, etc, etc. Its not FB isn't conductive to metric based analysis, it's the wrong metrics in some glaring cases. If you figure out how to assign blame to safety coverage though, let me know.

Just in case people didn't see the name and author of the book from which the OP quoted - it's Nicolas Dawidoff's book "Collision Low Crossers: A Year Inside the Turbulent World of NFL Football". Note that Dawidoff also wrote a book called "The Crowd Sounds Happy: A Story of Love and Madness in an American Family" - a memoir in which he describes how important it was to him to listen to Red Sox games on the radio in l975 New Haven CT. He was the editor of the Library of America’s Baseball: A Literary Anthology, and a book he wrote about his grandfather called The Fly Swatter was a finalist for the Pulitzer prize. In other words, he's a really excellent writer, and not originally a Jets fan! Judy

It's going to take time for the defence to really come together, don't forget Browner is out for the first four games. Still, it makes me smile thinking about what this defence could be like come playoff time.

Just in case people didn't see the name and author of the book from which the OP quoted - it's Nicolas Dawidoff's book "Collision Low Crossers: A Year Inside the Turbulent World of NFL Football". Note that Dawidoff also wrote a book called "The Crowd Sounds Happy: A Story of Love and Madness in an American Family" - a memoir in which he describes how important it was to him to listen to Red Sox games on the radio in l975 New Haven CT. He was the editor of the Library of America’s Baseball: A Literary Anthology, and a book he wrote about his grandfather called The Fly Swatter was a finalist for the Pulitzer prize. In other words, he's a really excellent writer, and not originally a Jets fan! Judy

Dont forget about "Collision Brandon Moore"

As much as I hated seeing him tie Moss up and the fact he wore a Jets jersey you had to give the guy props - any time you got to see him not playing against the Pats however, just focussing on Revis was a good watch, it's a master class in how to play the CB position. Can't wait to see him playing in a Patriots uniform!

Very few have ball skills like him. A 6th sense knowing when to turn his head back to the ball and either knock it away or pick it off. Ty Law had it.

I cant wait until the Pats play the Jets. Its going to be funny.

I have modest hopes. Just let us get back to the level of quality defense we had the 1st few years of this decade. That D always put the team in a position to make plays to win and conversely stopped opponents' comeback heroics.

Its going to require a combined effort by 11 players.

Just because the Pats have Revis doesnt automatically spell best defense. The Pats were able to beat the Jets with Revsis plenty of times by just avoiding Revis for most of the game.

Yes, Revis is only one guy. That's why I referred to the D, not Revis.
What I would like to see is a reprise of the AFCCG vs Indy where BB deployed Ty Law in different positions in an unexpected manner that confused Peyton with the result that Ty had 3 picks. Of course being a student of the game Peyton is well prepared for this so a variation is needed.

I went back and read some articles regarding Revis' rookie contract and my biggest take from that negotiation was how the Jets operated in such an alternate universe than a team like NE. At that time, players in the top half of the first round could be signed to 6 year contracts (5 years plus a voidable 6th year was becoming the norm), much to the agents' dislike.... but they had no leverage to do anything about it....until the Jets blinked....and blinked...and blinked. When you compared Adam Carriker's contract (5 years $14.5 mill), drafted one spot ahead of Revis, to the Revis contract ....a 50 page document designed to secure that 6th year....at a huge total cost.....you have to wonder if Tannebaum understood the term leverage at all. From ownerships' standpoint, Tannebaum failed on every level. He over paid, he relinquished leverage to the agent, he irrevokably damaged slotting and terms, ......and worst of all, the Jets created this caste system that elevated Revis within the organization. At every turn, the Jets operated in such an unBelichickian manner. I still remember the Jets Hard Knocks season where the team publicly worshipped the player. Incredible/desperate way to run an NFL team. Contrast that to the typical BB praise for a player..."he did somethings good, but he needs to work on some other things".....aka standard operating procedure, especially during contract time.
Fast forward to present day. Revis is entering an environment he likely is unfamiliar with....a professionally run football operation, not a clown show (NYJ) or disfunctional operation (Tampa). If he's as serious a football player as we have been lead to believe (I believe it), will he be able to leave NE after one year because another clown show has extra dollars and is seeking a seat filling star.
My bet: a mutual understanding will be achieved. BB knows what kind of value this type of player can add to his defense (no trophies without out a Ty Law caliber DB). And Revis has to understand his place in football history won't be secured unless he shines on the biggest stage.
They need each other

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2
Yes, Revis is only one guy. That's why I referred to the D, not Revis.
What I would like to see is a reprise of the AFCCG vs Indy where BB deployed Ty Law in different positions in an unexpected manner that confused Peyton with the result that Ty had 3 picks. Of course being a student of the game Peyton is well prepared for this so a variation is needed.

I was agreeing with you.

Wow!
Judy...I nominate you as President of the PatsFans Book of the Month Club. These cro-mags :) need a little culture and diversity and I suspect you can help elevate this crowd. Any thoughts in the Spy genre...looking for a summer vacation read

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes