PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Booth Reviews in the last two minutes?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't need fancy reflectors or rangers. Just mount remote-controller laser pointers on the outside of the uprights. Turn them on when there's a kick. If there's a dot on the ball the kick's no good. For review purposes you could also mount GoPros on the outside of the uprights (near the top) and view there footage when there's a review.

Don't need fancy reflectors or rangers. Just mount remote-controller laser pointers on the outside of the uprights. Turn them on when there's a kick. If there's a dot on the ball the kick's no good. For review purposes you could also mount GoPros on the outside of the uprights (near the top) and view there footage when there's a review.
What if there's some schmuck with a laser pointer in the crowd?

Officially the guy in the booth said to the referee "Sorry, Mr. Referee, that play is not reviewable so you're going to have to make the decision on the field."

But conspiracy theorists like me believe the guy upstairs really said: "Sorry, Mr. Referee, that play is not reviewable so you're going to have to make the decision on the field. Whoops, I feel a sneeze coming on.... AHHH-AHHHHHH-thefieldgoalwasgood-CHOOOO!!!!!"

Actually, there is. All you would need to do is install what would amount to a laser pointer in the center of each upright, aligned to point straight up. Connect it to a relay to signal the booth, and perhaps a green light at the top of each upright. When (if) the ball passes through the beam of light, the signal is activated showing proof positive that the attempt was good.

The costs would be minimal, and it would work in both indoor and outdoor stadiums. You could even have a cap like the ones on top of semi-truck exhausts to keep the lights clear of snow, sleet, etc, and have it linked to open when the nets are raised behind the goalposts.

Again, a viable, easy to design and install system that would be of minimal costs and be proof positive of the outcome of any PAT or FG attempt.

V/R
Yeah that would be so much easier than just making the posts about 25 feet taller. :rolleyes:

Yeah that would be so much easier than just making the posts about 25 feet taller. :rolleyes:

That's to easy,

I say they balance an elephant on each pole, standing on one leg, with clowns riding tall unicycles balanced on their foreheads, while holding ballerinas on their shoulders, juggling TVs, flaming pigs heads and battle axes. That'll give you about 25ft:cool:

Last edited:
That's to easy,

I say they balance an elephant on each pole, standing on one leg, with clowns riding tall unicycles balanced on their foreheads, while holding ballerinas on their shoulders, juggling TVs, flaming pigs heads and battle axes. That'll give you about 25ft:cool:

I think you pretty much got it there. The only thing I'd add would be a monkey to the top of each pole. If the monkey catches the football, it's good. That way you take the game out of the refs hands.

Actually, there is. All you would need to do is install what would amount to a laser pointer in the center of each upright, aligned to point straight up. Connect it to a relay to signal the booth, and perhaps a green light at the top of each upright. When (if) the ball passes through the beam of light, the signal is activated showing proof positive that the attempt was good.

The costs would be minimal, and it would work in both indoor and outdoor stadiums. You could even have a cap like the ones on top of semi-truck exhausts to keep the lights clear of snow, sleet, etc, and have it linked to open when the nets are raised behind the goalposts.

Again, a viable, easy to design and install system that would be of minimal costs and be proof positive of the outcome of any PAT or FG attempt.

V/R

According to the rules, for a FG to be good, it has to complete pass through the plane formed by the outside of the uprights and the crossbar. So, just a portion of the ball passing over the upright isn't good enough. The ENTIRE BALL has to be inside that plane. And that can be done with the technology you mentioned.

According to the rules, for a FG to be good, it has to complete pass through the plane formed by the outside of the uprights and the crossbar. So, just a portion of the ball passing over the upright isn't good enough. The ENTIRE BALL has to be inside that plane. And that can be done with the technology you mentioned.

The way I interpreted the outside line is the very outside. So if a portion of the ball is slightly over the upright is okay. If the tiniest part pierces that outside line, it's no good.

I don't think the technology is as simple as some say it is. They're only just perfecting a system for goal line technology in soccer...and that must be considerable easier to work out.

I don't think you're going o see very many plays like the FG against Baltimore. In fact, I'm struggling to remember one at all. So the NFL probably don't even see it as cost effective.

Last edited:

V/R

That's the same technology that should be used in MLB for balls and strikes also. The goal should always be to get the call right, no matter what it takes.

As luck would have it, I'm in a bocci league that's considering using lasers to make measurements. Maybe I'll give Goody a call and see if he wants to borrow ours if we get it.

That's the same technology that should be used in MLB for balls and strikes also. The goal should always be to get the call right, no matter what it takes.

As luck would have it, I'm in a bocci league that's considering using lasers to make measurements. Maybe I'll give Goody a call and see if he wants to borrow ours if we get it.

Yup. And to be honest, the equipment to build such a system can be found at your local Radio Shack. It's simple stuff that high school kids learn about in electronics classes.

That's to easy,
eg, with clowns riding tall unicycles balanced on their foreheads, while holding ballerinas on their shoulders, juggling TVs, flaming pigs heads and battle axes. That'll give you about 25ft:cool:

Sorry, but the clowns are already busy, in their striped shirts trying to decide what to do.

I think one of the biggest problems with the laser system -- other than cost, which would be quite high to equip 62 sets of goal posts (two per stadium -- Jets and Giants double up) for a problem that shows up at most a couple of times a year -- is that it would have to be calibrated for every game.

All measurement systems like this go out of whack due to mechanical vibration (the goal posts move around in the wind a lot -- especially if you remember the Pats game at Buffalo a couple of years ago!), but also because of temperature and humidity changes (I would imagine). It's even possible they would go out of calibration during a game!

I don't see it happening. And I don't see them extending the uprights enough to keep this from being a problem. The extra height might/would-probably require a significant re-design of the goal post structure.

Ain't gonna happen.

I think one of the biggest problems with the laser system -- other than cost, which would be quite high to equip 62 sets of goal posts (two per stadium -- Jets and Giants double up) for a problem that shows up at most a couple of times a year -- is that it would have to be calibrated for every game.

All measurement systems like this go out of whack due to mechanical vibration (the goal posts move around in the wind a lot -- especially if you remember the Pats game at Buffalo a couple of years ago!), but also because of temperature and humidity changes (I would imagine). It's even possible they would go out of calibration during a game!

I don't see it happening. And I don't see them extending the uprights enough to keep this from being a problem. The extra height might/would-probably require a significant re-design of the goal post structure.

Ain't gonna happen.
The people trying to equip all these fancy laser schemes seem to be completely unaware that this is a league which, on quite a regular basis, cannot even maintain communications from the booth to the field. They can't get their phones to work all the time, but I'm supposed to trust some ridiculous laser system? No thanks.

I still haven't seen a system which is even remotely as easy as extending the posts upwards by about 25 feet or so.

Last edited:
Seems like those little wind flags(I think thats what they are) get in the way of a good view when they're hanging over the outside of the pole as in Sundays game.

Just a thought...:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference