PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Cryin: Manning is the better QB (from 1/31/2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bob Cryin: Manning is the better QB

First; I love me some Tom Brady.

But even I, a huge Tom fanboy, admits that technically speaking Peyton is a superior quarterback. Not even gonna joke around about that.

I always felt that Peyton has the skills, but Brady had the 'intangibles' (as much as I loathe that word). Undeniably, pre-injury, Brady was like ice under pressure.

As for the whole "Brady rode his defense to wins", with the exception of maybe 2001, I think that each of the playoffs games easily surpassed its over/under pt estimatem, it wasn't exactly like Brady was just doing diddly squat. Meaning that it wasn't a Trent Dilfer lolravens game where the defense absolutely destroyed the other team. Sure they made big plays, but I've seen the colts defense make big plays. So that argument is pretty moot.

Last edited:

First; I love me some Tom Brady.

But even I, a huge Tom fanboy, admits that technically speaking Peyton is a superior quarterback. Not even gonna joke around about that.

I always felt that Peyton has the skills, but Brady had the 'intangibles' (as much as I loathe that word). Undeniably, pre-injury, Brady was like ice under pressure.

As for the whole "Brady rode his defense to wins", with the exception of maybe 2001, I think that each of the playoffs games easily surpassed its over/under pt estimatem, it wasn't exactly like Brady was just doing diddly squat. Meaning that it wasn't a Trent Dilfer lolravens game where the defense absolutely destroyed the other team. Sure they made big plays, but I've seen the colts defense make big plays. So that argument is pretty moot.

The idea that Brady rode the defense to wins is totally undercut byb the actual Super Bowls.

He threw for 350 yards against Carolina.

The defense gave up 325 passing yards.

Brady set the Super Bowl record for completions, 33.

So, I fail to see how a Colts fan could make that argument with a straight face.

It's a completely biased Colts argument.

My opinion on this is that stats are nice to look at but you play to win.
Compiling better stats while losing is not better than compiling lesser stats while winning.
Naturally, everything is not black and white, there must be a gray area.
The gray area comes in when comparing winners to winners, and determining their impact.
In other words:
Marino doesnt get in the discussion because he never won, so the stats that were compiled on the way to ultimately losing are not relevant.
Manning, Dilfer, Favre, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Jim McMahon, etc won one SB.
You distingusih between them by looking at how much they had to do with winning it all. You also look at the quality of their play when they didn't win because we are comparing careers not just one season. (For example Mark Rypien played better the year he won a SB than Manning did the year he won one, but Rypien did pretty much nothing else)

I could accept the argument that 0 wins vs 1 especially when considering how vital the QB was to the win, is reasonable, because of the flukiness of one win vs a career.
I could agree with lumping the QBs who 3 with the ones who won 4, and judging on contribution as well as if they had played well enough to win another but the supporting cast let them down. I do not think QBs who won less than 3 belong in the same group as those who won more than 3.

With that in mind, IN TE SB ERA, because I have no clue where to put Otto Graham or Johnny Unitas who played when the game was entirely different, I conclude the following rankings.

The top group should only include 3 time winners.
Terry Bradshaw with 4 is downgraded IMO because his contribution was the least, overall, partly due to era, and partly due to having dominant defenses that aided him. Nonetheless, and this is the point people seem to want to ignore, 4 times Terry Bradshaw went through a full season, playoffs and a SB making the plays at the QB position that were necessary to win. That destroys making a lot of good plays, but not the ones required to win (Marino).
I would have had Brady ahead of Montana (so far) up until the 2007 SB loss, because up to then, he was ahead at the same stage, but had not yet reached Montanas accomplishments but appeared likely to. Since, I no longer say he is aheadof Montana (so far) but that will still be determined.
I put Troy Aikman closely behind. He was a smaller part of the puzzle for the Cowboys, as unlike Brady and Montana, the team revolved around a group of players that included him, not just him.

Therefore, I limit my top 4 to those who have won 3 or more, and rank them
Montana
Brady
Aikman
Bradshaw

Again, I must be clear, I am not ranking simply who I would want on the field on a given day, but I am HEAVILY weighting what they accomplished over what people think they could have accomplished under diferent circumstances.
For example, in 2004 when Manning broke all the records, and Brady beat him and won the SB, some would argue Manning would have won if they switched teams. I put ZERO weight on that argument, because each had the opportunity to accomplish a title, and I find it foolish to grade them on what may have been when you have the exact plays they made on the field to judge it for you, with the understanding that the only reason you play is to win.

The next level would be 1 or 2 time winners.
Without listing all, I would consider Manning, Starr, Favre, Elway, Young, Warner, in this group. (NOTE I AM GOING FROM MEMORY AND MAY HAVE LFET SOMEONE OUT)
Interestingly, along with Marino, those 1 time winners, (Favre, Manning, Young) were often the reason their team, when it contended, lost, due to their poor play, even given the fact that they were asked to carry the team. (I do not believe a player who is asked to carry the team is forgiven for not carrying it in the big game because he didnt have a running game or defense or whatever caused him to be rated higher to begin with due to 'havng to carry the team')

So my second group would go, starting at 5th
Elway
Starr (by far hardest to rank becuase the game has changed so much)
Manning
Favre
Young

It should be noted that what Manning lacks at this point, is substance behind the numbers, that is add the numbers up as high as you wish, but they only resulted in one title, and great numbers with ultimate failure did not bring the only sought after result. Manning, with a win next week moves to the head of this group (past Elway because Elway won only after his role was made less critical by adding a 2000 yard runner)
Manning certainly could move into the top group within his career. If he were to reach 3 SB wins, he may be considered ahead of Brady and even possibly Montana, although that will probably require 4, because winning 4 as the center piece of a team is unique.
But he hasn't done that. Until he fulfills the minimum requirement for consideration, which is by far the factor that separates the greatest, and the one that is the rarest quality of all, you can't just give them to him.
Roethlisberger, IMO, has the opportunity to join both of these groups, with 2 under his belt, but so far, he is not near the top of the 1 or 2 time winners. But he has the opportunity to get there, and if he does win another, there really aren't any factors that should preclude him from being consider with the 4 others who have accomplished more than any other QBs who have played in the SB era.

Last edited by a moderator:

teams win super bowls

not qb's

you have to look at players for what they do and what they are capable of.

Tell that to the Chicago Bears who went to the SB and gave the Chickens all they could handle (22 - 17 late the 4th until Sexy Rexy threw a pick 6) with Rex worst QB in SB history Grossman at the helm.
Ain't no Rex Grossman walking through that door in Miami next Sunday Chicks. :D

I guess if SB rings in a TEAM sport is the determining factor of being the better QB, then i guess both Ruthlisberger and Plunkett are better than Manning. 4 MVP awards is quite an accomplishment.

The idea that Brady rode the defense to wins is totally undercut byb the actual Super Bowls.

So, I fail to see how a Colts fan could make that argument with a straight face.

Ironically, given that Manning has carried the Colts most of his career, the year they won was one of the most shining examples of a defense carrying a team that won despite the play of the QB in the playoffs.
That is one of the curious issues with Manning. For most of his career he carried his team only to play poorly in an elimination game. The one time that he was able to win (remember before this year, in 9 playoff season Manning went 4-0 once, 1-1 3 times and 1 and done 5 others) was when he played poorly for most of the playoffs and the supporting cast carried the team. That is something he has the opportunity to erase or ratify next Sunday.

Manning's Super Bowl = 25/38 for 247 yds
1 TD - 1 INT - 1 lost fumble ...and this guy was named MVP :rofl: (media bias on display)
The REAL MVP was Rhodes who rushed for 177 yds.
The OTHER MVP was Rex worst QB in SB history Grossman.
His numbers 20/28 for 165 yds
1 TD - 2 INT - 2 fumbles lost
Ain't no Rex Grossman walking through that door in Miami this Sunday! :D

I guess if SB rings in a TEAM sport is the determining factor of being the better QB, then i guess both Ruthlisberger and Plunkett are better than Manning. 4 MVP awards is quite an accomplishment.

Since the only reason to play is to win, and since players make plays that determine whether you win or lose, and the QB has by far the most to do with making those plays, then SB rings is certainly a consideration.

Heres a question to get to that point.

After Tom Brady retires and the Patriots draft a QB would you rather have them draft:

A) A QB is somewhere above average overall but 2 times in his career, gets on a roll, plays great, makes all the clutch plays and leads the team to 2 SB wins. or
B) A QB who carries the team on his back, breaks every passing record known to man, but never wins a SB.

To me, the answer to that question also answer who you think is BETTER.

I don't get it. We have no problem saying LB X is better than one of ours, But Manning>Brady is just considered forsaken.

I don't think Manning is that much better, but he's as close to perfect as I've ever seen a QB. You people kno offenses don't fear Brady these days half as much as they do Manning, I'm sure we of all fanbases should know this. To say Manning isn't better when every single thing is in his favor except rings is..Well, stupid.

Ironically, given that Manning has carried the Colts most of his career, the year they won was one of the most shining examples of a defense carrying a team that won despite the play of the QB in the playoffs.
That is one of the curious issues with Manning. For most of his career he carried his team only to play poorly in an elimination game. The one time that he was able to win (remember before this year, in 9 playoff season Manning went 4-0 once, 1-1 3 times and 1 and done 5 others) was when he played poorly for most of the playoffs and the supporting cast carried the team. That is something he has the opportunity to erase or ratify next Sunday.

You're putting that much on Sunday's game?

I think Manning has gone a long way toward erasing that. The year he did win the Superbowl, he overcame a 21-3 deficit, against his biggest rival, with arguably the biggest monkey on his back in playoff history, with clutch play.

In the AFC Champ. game this year, he also led a comeback from a 17-6 deficit, against one of the best D's in the league - again, with pretty clutch play.

I think the idea that he "wilts" in the big games is bogus. That might have been true early in his career, when he was unable to overcome some of the looks BB gave him on defense, but he's way past that...

I don't get it. We have no problem saying LB X is better than one of ours, But Manning>Brady is just considered forsaken.

I don't think Manning is that much better, but he's as close to perfect as I've ever seen a QB. You people kno offenses don't fear Brady these days half as much as they do Manning, I'm sure we of all fanbases should know this. To say Manning isn't better when every single thing is in his favor except rings is..Well, stupid.

Try reading the thread. :rolleyes:
Every single thing (beyond rings) isn't in Manning's favor.

Last edited:

Since the only reason to play is to win, and since players make plays that determine whether you win or lose, and the QB has by far the most to do with making those plays, then SB rings is certainly a consideration.

Heres a question to get to that point.

After Tom Brady retires and the Patriots draft a QB would you rather have them draft:

A) A QB is somewhere above average overall but 2 times in his career, gets on a roll, plays great, makes all the clutch plays and leads the team to 2 SB wins. or
B) A QB who carries the team on his back, breaks every passing record known to man, but never wins a SB.

To me, the answer to that question also answer who you think is BETTER.

If Brady retires tommorow and they draft a guy who has the same EXACT career path as Manning I'd definently take it. If you give the Patriots, or any team a QB like Manning they're going to be a top ten team MINIMUM year in/out.

I've seen the Patriots passing attack be considered weak and predictable a few times under Brady. Never once, for anymore than half a season have I heard the same about Manning. Sorry but the guy runs that offense like a well oiled machine, to sit here and play oblivious makes people here look foolish.

I disagree. I'd obviously rather us go on a run that produces more titles. However, I doubt taking an above average QB over a great one would be the reason why. Again, things like that are simply luck. Would you rather have Big ben or Peyton Manning? Please don't tell me Big Ben. Please don't, because at that point is when I walk away and this thread becomes a big joke.

Last edited:

If Brady retires tommorow and they draft a guy who has the same EXACT career path as Manning I'd definently take it. If you give the Patriots, or any team a QB like Manning they're going to be a top ten team MINIMUM year in/out.

I've seen the Patriots passing attack be considered weak and predictable a few times under Brady. Never once, for anymore than half a season have I heard the same about Manning. Sorry but the guy runs that offense like a well oiled machine, to sit here and play oblivious makes people here look foolish.

I disagree. I'd obviously rather us go on a run that produces more titles. However, I doubt taking an above average QB over a great one would be the reason why. Again, things like that are simply luck. Would you rather have Big ben or Peyton Manning? Please don't tell me Big Ben. Please don't, because that that point is when I walk away and this thread becomes a big joke.

that "well-oiled machine" apparently runs out of oil come playoff time.

Try reading the thread. :rolleyes:
Very single thing beyond rings isn't in Manning's favor.

OK, Tom had a ridiculous 07 season, I get that.

Put it this way, this year was the second highest totals in Brady's career. Yet would ANYONE dare say his season was half as good as Manning's?

Sorry, but statisticly speaking Brady ain't stacking up well. What Manning is doing this eyar is pretty much what he has done every single year. To say Brady is not AS good as Manning isn't a knock at all. Manning is just robot like consistent when it comes to statistics.

But hey, because wins a postseason is all that matters I'm guessing Brady was just green with envy about Mark Sanchez's awesome year, mhm?

that "well-oiled machine" apparently runs out of oil come playoff time.

The same could be said for Brady. In fact, looking at Brady's stats since the Jacksonville playoff game, the EXACT same thing could be said for Brady.

But hey, because wins a postseason is all that matters I'm guessing Brady was just green with envy about Mark Sanchez's awesome year, mhm?

I don't think Brady is green with envy over any player in the NFL including Manning.
Unlike Manning, Tom Brady is not insecure about his standing in the sport and obsessed with his personal stats.

I would comment but reading you Patriot fans go at it is much more entertaining :popcorn:

So I'll leave with this

Career Postseason Passer Rating

Peyton Manning- 87.5

Tom Brady -85.5

But you say Tom has performed so much better in the Playoffs than Peyton that's why he's better ?? :confused: and don't point at the records, that is a team accomplishment and only shows that the Patriots were a better overall team that the Colts 5 years ago, I won't argue with that and Colts fans shouldn't.

Last edited:

The same could be said for Brady. In fact, looking at Brady's stats since the Jacksonville playoff game, the EXACT same thing could be said for Brady.

14-4 isn't exactly running out of oil.

I don't think Brady is green with envy over any player in the NFL including Manning.
Unlike Manning, Tom Brady is not insecure about his standing in the sport and obsessed with his personal stats.

I didn't say he was, it was a joke. I was making a point. W-L isn't the way you judge an individiual player. Now how can you say that? Do you know Manning? Hate to say it, but Pats fans sound insecure in this thread, no one else.

I would comment but reading you Patriot fans go at it is much more entertaining :popcorn:

So I'll leave with this

Career Postseason Passer Rating

Peyton Manning- 87.5

Tom Brady -85.5

Oh wow! You can have that extra two points anyday. I'll take the two extra superbowls we have on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST