PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blocking Harry

So Harry is in preseason mode?? I'll take it.:)

BB lets McD dial occasional Harry play just to keep Ds honest . but he wants to keep the good stuff for January ..

-.-

I used to hope that was the case, but every year when they didn't win I never saw new/different calls in the POs that I didn't see during the regular season...

Seems like a lot of people have different versions of the word "contribute." For some it's catches/yards/TDs...with some second-level stuff thrown in.

For BB, if Bourne's running an end-around and sees the other side wide open, contributing means clearing the way. That goes for downfield blocking as well.

I've already said what I would have done (I think a lot here agreed, and not even in hindsight) in the first round and subsequent rounds in that draft, but that's history now. Harry's on the team, doing what's asked of him without complaint, winning the praise of his teammates - Bourne was praising him up and down when asked about his end-arounds, and Mac said that maybe he should get the ball to him more.

So, I don't care about being right or wrong. I want the guy to continue to improve, to be ready to step in if one of the top 3 gets hurt, or to keep showing that they should throw him the ball, and become a bigger part of the offense. It's not like he's sitting the bench a lot, and it's not like he isn't catching the few balls coming his way.

He's a Pat. I root for him. Full stop.

Where a player is draft is like your college GPA on the Patriots. When the ceremony's over, no one wants to hear about it.

He's a WR with 6 catches. No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it's still a pig.

He's a WR with 6 catches. No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it's still a pig.

Seems there's one role - Blocking Receiver - for two players, when healthy: Kneal Harry & Jonnu Smith... Right now Harry's the healthy one, but either way I don't think this particular role is a big part of the passing offense... If the Meyers/Bourne/Agholor trio, Hunter Hurst Henry & the RBs continue to produce as they have been recently, then the numbers for both Smith & particularly Harry might look real ugly by season's end...

Harry, we cool man! I like his role alot now! Don't care where he was drafted or was he has done prior. He has baught in bigtime. Do Your Job. Run team first, love it, love it, love it. Pulling guards, Big Fullback, Heavy duty all purpose back and a great blocking WR = the dubs! ESPECIALLY with winter coming. Go Pats!

Calling a wide out a blocking receiver is just another way to say “bust.”

Few, if any, posters here would disagree with the notion that he is a bust. Watching Brown (this one hurts me the most), Samuel, Metcalf, et al ball out doesn’t seem to get less painful with time.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging the effort that he puts into blocking, or the positive impact that it is having on the run game and on reverses and screen plays. I’m certain that it doesn’t go unnoticed in the film room at Gillette.

In summary….AT LEAST HE IS DOING SOMETHING.

Few, if any, posters here would disagree with the notion that he is a bust. Watching Brown (this one hurts me the most), Samuel, Metcalf, et al ball out doesn’t seem to get less painful with time.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging the effort that he puts into blocking, or the positive impact that it is having on the run game and on reverses and screen plays. I’m certain that it doesn’t go unnoticed in the film room at Gillette.

In summary….AT LEAST HE IS DOING SOMETHING.

AT LEAST HE IS DOING SOMETHING REALLY WELL AND WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

So it is still possible for him to improve substantially -- but his history means he will never justify the 1st round pick.

He's still better than almost every other higher WR draft pick in recent Pats history. Aaron Dobson (2), Josh Boyce (4), Taylor Price (3), Brandon Tate (3) and my all time favorite WR draft bust - Chad Jackson (2). Chad Jackson... ugh... even though he was picked in the second round, he was considered a 1st rounder that slipped and a "can't miss" NFL WR. Look what happened there. I was so psyched when they drafted him. Such a disappointment.

Harry isn't close to that level of disappointment.

He's still better than almost every other higher WR draft pick in recent Pats history. Aaron Dobson (2), Josh Boyce (4), Taylor Price (3), Brandon Tate (3) and my all time favorite draft bust - Chad Jackson (2). Chad Jackson... ugh... even though he was picked in the second round, he was considered a 1st rounder that slipped and a "can't miss" NFL WR. Look what happened there. I was so psyched when they drafted him. Such a disappointment.

Harry isn't close that level of disappointment.
Nah, he's pretty close. Especially when you factor in the WR stars picked after him and where he was drafted (you can't discount those facts).

Nah, he's pretty close. Especially when you factor in the WR stars picked after him and where he was drafted (you can't discount those facts).
When you compare players as I did, other picks are not in the equation... at all. I could compare Harry to other high draft picks and he would certainly come out worse but he doesn't come out worse than Chad Jackson.

And for the record, the Patriots traded up to the 4th pick in the 2nd round to snag Jackson. He was called a "steal" by most draftniks at the time. N'Keal Harry was the 32nd pick of the first round - only 4 spots earlier than Chad Jackson.

Chad Jackson: Chad Jackson 2006 NFL Draft Prospect
"He is a first round lock, and will battle with Santonio Holmes to be the first receiver selected."

Last edited:
Harry, we cool man! I like his role alot now! Don't care where he was drafted or was he has done prior. He has baught in bigtime. Do Your Job. Run team first, love it, love it, love it. Pulling guards, Big Fullback, Heavy duty all purpose back and a great blocking WR = the dubs! ESPECIALLY with winter coming. Go Pats!

This is a not-insignificant point regarding Mac's development this season... He's never really played under such conditions, so he might rely on the running game more often as the weather gets colder...

He finally found his purpose, as a blocking TE. Maybe put on 20 pounds and he could be an even better blocker.

I had political forum flashbacks reading the thread title and thought someone was advocating having harryboy blocked...........yet again.

Watching deebo tonight, could harry ever run out of the back field? Similar to patterson? Or is he too slow?

They already tried this like 20 times in the past, all failures. Some moronic staff evals saying he's great after the catch so kept trying a bunch of crappy reverses or quick-outs and he always fell down at first contact like Michel.

He finally found his purpose, as a blocking TE. Maybe put on 20 pounds and he could be an even better blocker.

Sure and then look at the 14m Jonnu is making next year.... you either try to salvage the bust 1st round pick, or look bad on the 2nd TE contract that looks terrible

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back