PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bledsoe or Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel free to go back and read what I've posted. Either that or you could just make some more false claims that can be disproven. Whatever works for you. Either way, you have yourself a great evening.

You just said you cannot answer the question.
I have made no false claims and you havent come close to disproving anything.
You really need to stop thinking that patting yourself on the back and telling yourself you are right holds any value.

But you dint answer the challenge. One innoucous post that isnt even negative in 2 1/2 years, with NO followup post in that thread isn't even in the ballpark of proving the position you have made up.
Lets get this straight. I have said I have no ill will, no agenda, no bias against Drew Bledsoe.
You have called me a liar.
You better come to the table with more than that or admit you are wrong.

No, actually, I did answer the challenge. Pretty clearly, too. Now, goodnight.

With all this arguing going on I think the major question is this....

Put Matt Cassel as starting QB on a 2000 Patriots roster based on his play in 2008 but with receivers from 2000 - Does the team win more than 5 games?

Put Drew Bledsoe as starting QB on the 2008 Patriots roster based on his play in 2000 but with receivers from 2008 - Does the team win 12 games and make the playoffs?

I say Drew takes them to the playoffs and gets them 12 wins - Cassel probably does not improve those 5 wins

Although this question could be tough to answer regarding totally different scenerios but worth thinking about

No, actually, I did answer the challenge. Pretty clearly, too. Now, goodnight.

Again, telling yourself you are right does not make you right.
Show my agenda or bias. Prove that I am on this board saying I have no agenda because I am a liar. Thats what you have called me.
Prove how you know what is in my head better than i do. Come on tough guy, prove I am a liar, or swallow your ego and admit you are wrong.

With all this arguing going on I think the major question is this....

Put Matt Cassel as starting QB on a 2000 Patriots roster based on his play in 2008 but with receivers from 2000 - Does the team win more than 5 games?

Put Drew Bledsoe as starting QB on the 2008 Patriots roster based on his play in 2000 but with receivers from 2008 - Does the team win 12 games and make the playoffs?

I say Drew takes them to the playoffs and gets them 12 wins - Cassel probably does not improve those 5 wins

Although this question could be tough to answer regarding totally different scenerios but worth thinking about

Bledsoe simply couldn't run this offense in 2000. He had Terry Glenn and Troy Brown, too, by the way. He never won more than 11 games in his career, how could he at his 2000 level of decline?
What would 1997 Drew have done with the 2008 Pats, now THAT is the intriguing question.

What would 1997 Drew have done with the 2008 Pats, now THAT is the intriguing question.

Better yet! What about a 95 Drew, throwing to Welker, Moss, and Coates? Playing behind the current O-line, with Dillon as RB???? AAANNNNDDD, with BB coaching, and Drew actually listening to him? That would be something to see.

Actually, you could say thats Brady with the current team :D

Anybody else really pumped up to see this offense? I mean, hell, if they stay healthy, its pretty sweet looking on paper. If the defense could improve from last year, and this offense stays healthy,,,,yikes. Enough bickering, lets look forward to the season!!!

Re: Bledsoe or Cassel????

The way Bledsoe gets so easily brushed aside by many members here proves they were not Patriot fans prior to the 2001 Super Bowl.

Period.

Fact of the matter is if Bledsoe was not on the bench able to fill in after Brady got hurt in the AFCCG vs the Steelers, there would have been no Super Bowl that year.

Bledsoe gets the nod over Mr one year wonder.

Drew is the second best QB this franchise has ever had, he led the team to one two Super Bowl and had a big part in the second, yet he constantly gets ragged on.

Pitiful.

"The way Bledsoe gets so easily brushed aside by many members here proves they were not Patriot fans prior to the 2001 Super Bowl."

Ding ding ding....we have a winner! Good post......I think many that post on here became fans after the SB in 2001.......or have memory loss. Bledsoe wins this contest easily. We will see what Cassel does THIS year in KC.......best of luck

Its Bledsoe by a monster mile

If Bledsoe had Welker and Moss in 2000 I guarantee you that team would NEVER have gone 5-11

Cassel benefitted from blending in well with all of the multitude of talent around him and did his job to garner respect, but Bledsoe had crap as an offensive unit 9 years ago and one year removed from the Carroll disaster and would have definately taken a team like last years into the playoffs.

Well you are right here in that Cassel was given a very conservative offense to run.....and was PART of the offense.......Bledsoe on the other hand HAD to BE the offense....We were going to either live or die by HIS ARM.......alot more pressure on Drew.

"The way Bledsoe gets so easily brushed aside by many members here proves they were not Patriot fans prior to the 2001 Super Bowl."

Ding ding ding....we have a winner! Good post......I think many that post on here became fans after the SB in 2001.......or have memory loss. Bledsoe wins this contest easily. We will see what Cassel does THIS year in KC.......best of luck

No, the fact that so many poster are talking about Bledsoe's accomplishments from the 90s and ignoring how crappy he was in 00 and 01 just proves how many poster have zero reading comprehension.

What MC does in KC is totally irrelevent to the discussion of who did more for the Patriots in this decade .

Yeah, you're right too come to think of it.

I mean, any QB in the league could just walk off the bench after not playing all year, get absolutely clobbered and knocked on his ass and then deliver one of the sweetest passes I've ever seen to Patten for a TD.

Sure, any stiff could have done that.

Bledsoe helped the Patriots get to that Super Bowl.

Cassel couldn't get a team that was stacked offensively and one year removed from a 16-0 regular season to the playoffs.

Comparing the two is like comparing apples to hand grenades.

This Bledsoe love him/hate him debate is comical, reminds me of a redneck from down south who insists the Civil War is still going on, or like finding a Japanese soldier in a cave on Iwo Jima who didn't get the memo that the war is over.

Hate the guy all you want, it won't change history no matter how much you do......................

Good points DG......There are alot of Bledsoe haters for some reason that I don't get. The guy is NOT Tom Brady.......but give him some credit for what he accomplished. Cassel had one decent year for us managing a VERY good offense with a conservative game plan....If he HAD to make the big time throws to move the chains as Bledsoe had to do......it would be apples and oranges. Incidentally, both are similiar in one category....Holding onto the ball too long.

Goes to show how ignorant and forgetful fans in here are

There were many in here who were ready to lick Bledsoe's nads during the latter part of the 90s because he was the savior of this team taking them from laughingstock to elite status and kept us in at least good to mediocre status thru 2001.

Good to see a long time fan of the Pats on here....good realistic post.......Maybe not the licking nads part.....but the rest sounds pretty accurate ;)

But you are revising history. Bledsoe was actually a petulant, whining, self-indulged teammate who went ot the owner to try to get him to order the HC to let him start.
Under aboslutely no circumstances did Drew Bledsoe COACH Tom Brady. Bill Belichick did that, it is well-documented that Belichick met daily with Brady that season and was his direct coach and teacher.
I understand there are fond feelings toward Bledsoe around here, but why make things up to justify them?

"Bledsoe was actually a petulant, whining, self-indulged teammate who went ot the owner to try to get him to order the HC to let him start. "

Andy....you have blathered this statement several times now.....Please provide a link detailing this story. All I have ever heard is the complete OPPOSITE. I recall more of what Double G is stating....That he supported Brady and was nothing other than gracious about being benched in favor of Tom. Please provide a link to back up your statements. Thx

Last edited:
Shows how forgetful and ignorant some fans are in here.

I can bet my bottom dollar that some of the fans in here mocking what Drew did for this team in 2000-2001 in this thread were the same azzwipes who were licking Drew's nads in the mid 90s.

What people forget was Drew was the anchor of pulling out this team from being a laughingstock around the league from his rookie season to almost Elite status in 2 years and then although the team went downward during the late 90s he still kept them in good to mediocre status during this time up until 2001.

Also some of us forget that a crap coach like Pete Carroll was a good reason why the team did not perform well or have a good offense like they did under Parcells.

Some of us forgot the miraculous comeback by Drew against Minnesota when he almost by himself brought the team back from a near unsurmountable lead by Minny to a victory and throwing 70 times and 45 completions to do it.

Drew had a lot of great games as a Patriot and yet even though we are talking about 2000 where Drew was playing his last games as a starter here, we still hear disrespect over a man who took New England from ashes to the mountaintop.

Realistically if you put Cassel and Bledsoe in the same time frame (2000-2001) - Cassel would not be able to carry Drews jockstrap .... I am done with this dumb comparison.

amen brother

Let see this year if Cassel can do anything in KC. For now, he has been in the league for 5 years with one good season. Bledsoe might not have been that great with the Pats in 2000-01, but once he got traded to Buffalo the team went from 3-13 to 8-8, threw for 23 TDs, 4300+ yards and went to the Pro Bowl. Never was one of the greatest QB, but each time he took over a team they did better with him than the guy before. Now it's Cassel turn to prove he can be good without an all-star cast.

Cassel's 11-5 record is the worst since 2002, so it's not like this is a great accomplishment. This is also the only QB I can think of who was benched during mop-up duty...

Great post bud.......Bledsoe turned around an awful Buffalo team as well.....and, I had almost forgotten about that time when Cassel got benched against Miami during mop up....;) But in fairness, he was coming in pretty rusty there.......

Sure it is...the question didn't say anything about evaluating only the play of the QB while playing for the Pats !! ;)

Bledsoe performed at a high level with the Bills in 2002. And that was the same player who played in Foxboro in 2000 and 2001. To me, it's pretty clear that with a good cast in 2000 Bledsoe could have done better. Not Super Bowl better, but still...

Now if Cassel ends up being benched in favor of Thigpen in KC, it tells me that he was good in NE only because of the supporting cast. Having Moss to throw to helps a lot...just look at Jeff George and Culpepper stats with and without him.

Now if Cassel ends up being benched in favor of Thigpen in KC
"

This is a very realistic possibility......I thought Thigpen played admirably behind a very poor offense last year.....I see a QB controversy brewing there......

"Bledsoe was actually a petulant, whining, self-indulged teammate who went ot the owner to try to get him to order the HC to let him start. "

Andy....you have blathered this statement several times now.....Please provide a link detailing this story. All I have ever heard is the complete OPPOSITE. I recall more of what Double G is stating....That he supported Brady and was nothing other than gracious about being benched in favor of Tom. Please provide a link to back up your statements. Thx

My link is Michael Holly's book

It's in Patriots Reign.

BTW, next time would it kill you to refrain making 8 in a series of 9 posts? Kinda defeats the whole point of a message board. Especially if they're all just to randomly /highfive or "amen brotha" miscellaneous stuff that someone said a half dozen pages ago?

Last edited:

Really? Such as who? If you're going to make accusations like that why don't you name names and let us destroy those accusations? I think you'll find that few if any people that chose 2008 Cassel over 2000 Bledose fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes