PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bledsoe or Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiZa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Who would you pick as your second string QB on the all-decade (00s) team?

You gotta go with Bledsoe, I mean...I think a lot of people forget how good Drew was during the Parcells era. Matt had the benefit of coming into a proven system with some of the best WR's in football. Drew was not so fortunate during the Carrol years.

Drew Bledsoe hands down

Bledsoe did lead the Pats to the Super Bowl . . .

Last edited:
You gotta go with Cassel, I mean...I think a lot of people forget how bad Drew was during the Carroll era. Matt had the benefit of coming into a proven system with some of the best WR's in football. Drew was fortunate to have Curtis Martin and Ben Coates.

Matt Cassel hands down.

I believe that BB would unhesitatingly choose Cassel, a guy who quickly adapted to runing the offsnse as desired by the coaches and did not risk the game outcome trying for the spectacular.

The OP's question was about the "team of the 2000's", so you can only consider Bledsoe in the 5-11 2000 season, the first two games of 2001, and coming off the bench against the Steelers in the playoffs.

To me Cassel would get the vote.

Who would you pick as your second string QB on the all-decade (00s) team?

Bledsoe gets the nod for the two great throws he made in the 2001 AFCCG - the TD to patten and the 3d down completion to Faulk that iced it.

Depends what your definition of "second string" is.

Bledsoe, but I bet Cassel would've scrambled and avoided Mo Lewis on that hit.:rolleyes:

The OP's question was about the "team of the 2000's", so you can only consider Bledsoe in the 5-11 2000 season, the first two games of 2001, and coming off the bench against the Steelers in the playoffs.

Yep, same here for the same reasons.

Expand it to include the 90s and I probably go with Drew.

Bledsoe gets the nod for the two great throws he made in the 2001 AFCCG - the TD to patten and the 3d down completion to Faulk that iced it.

I agree ... we'll always have Pittsburgh, Drew. Sniff! ;)

Drew Bledsoe without a doubt

We'll have a better idea once Cassel plays a couple seasons with a bad team. But for now you have to go Bledsoe. His season in '94 alone tops anything Cassel has done and he did it with considerably less.

The numbers this decade favor Cassel.

Bledsoe:
3,691 yards, 19 TDs 15 INTs, 59 percent completions.

Cassel:
3,946 yards, 23 TDs, 13 INTs, 62.9 percent completions.

Still, I'd take Bledsoe because of the plays he made against Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game. Besides, if it wasn't for Bledsoe's elusiveness or lack of it, we may never have had these good times.

Maybe Drew if it was an All 90's team... but Drew didnt do much of anything this decade. I guess it would be Cassel just based on the age factor.

bledsoe. cassel was so overrated and i cant stand that guy.

I think for the sake of this argument Drews numbers in Buffalo and Dallas should be used too.

While some of those years were not great there was one or two years that were specifically his 4,000 yard compaign with the Bills.

Drew was the Second best QB in Patriot history (I know we aren't supposed to use the 90's)

It would be stupid at this point to chose a one year wonder over a just short of the hall fame career. Thats not to say Cassel cant prove me wrong but right now anyone who choses Cassell over Drew is one of the many Drew Haters out there.

Just for argument sake compare Drew's worst season in this decade and his best season (regardless of team) to Cassel's only season and that should end the argument.

Last edited:

Yep, same here for the same reasons.

Expand it to include the 90s and I probably go with Drew.

Put me down for this as well. Instinctively I would have said Bledsoe, but final games with the Patriots just happened to coincide with the 2000s beginning.

Drew Bledsoe means a lot more to the franchise as a whole and it's not close, but if we are cutting the line at the 2000 season, I suppose Cassel gets the nod.

bledsoe. cassel was so overrated and i cant stand that guy.

So you're saying the Bledsoe of 2000 was better than the Cassel of 2008? That's all that's in play right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes