PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill O'Brien emerging as an option for Patriots offensive coordinator in 2023

I’d like to see this reunion however if I were Mac I wouldn’t try any “BS” with this OC - he’d end up nursing more than a bloody lip and bruised ego….
Really?

This team just needs a real OC who knows how to call real offensive plays witt guys not running into each other.

And doesn't bury one of his best receivers.
At least BOB would be on the same page as the QB.

This would be worth it just to watch the Mac - BoB blowups on the sideline. Both seem to have short fuses when things aren't going well. I remember BoB and Brady getting in each other's face a few times. Could be entertaining!

I’d like to see this reunion however if I were Mac I wouldn’t try any “BS” with this OC - he’d end up nursing more than a bloody lip and bruised ego….
BOB never coached the Mac.

BB and Patricia do not strike me as the types to rant and scream when the QB fails, but BOB does.

This would be worth it just to watch the Mac - BoB blowups on the sideline. Both seem to have short fuses when things aren't going well. I remember BoB and Brady getting in each other's face a few times. Could be entertaining!
I posted a couple of videos.

1 video is of 3rd and 10 and has Jones throwing to Bourne who wound up in double coverage. Bourne never shook his DB during the entire route. The play had a 10% of working and was a possible INT. Jones never looked left at Agahlor who had his man beat heading towards to left open sideline. A throw to Agahlor out in front of him was low risk because the ball would have gone out of bounds if Agahlor could not haul it in.

Stevenson was also open in the left flat and had at least 5 yards to gain and possibly a 1st down with only 1 defender to beat.

Id love to see the media blame BOB for stupid *** decision making like that.

BOB never coached the Mac.

BB and Patricia do not strike me as the types to rant and scream when the QB fails, but BOB does.

Mac worked with BoB to teach him the Alabama offense.

I posted a couple of videos.

1 video is of 3rd and 10 and has Jones throwing to Bourne who wound up in double coverage. Bourne never shook his DB during the entire route. The play had a 10% of working and was a possible INT. Jones never looked left at Agahlor who had his man beat heading towards to left open sideline. A throw to Agahlor out in front of him was low risk because the ball would have gone out of bounds if Agahlor could not haul it in.

Stevenson was also open in the left flat and had at least 5 yards to gain and possibly a 1st down with only 1 defender to beat.

Id love to see the media blame BOB for stupid *** decision making like that.

Now let's do 3rd and 29! Oh wait doesn't fit the narrative that Mac sucks you peddle every day.

Mac worked with BoB to teach him the Alabama offense.

Jones was not even playing if he was getting ready for the draft.

You do understand the difference when a game to win is on the line?

Even though O'Brien never officially coached Jones at Alabama, the two do have had a working relationship. When O'Brien replaced Steve Sarkisian as offensive coordinator in Tuscaloosa in the spring of 2021, Saban decided he wanted to continue running the same offensive system instead of O'Brien installing his own. In order to get O'Brien caught up, Saban reportedly had Jones - who was preparing for the NFL Draft at the time - teach O'Brien the playbook. So not only have Jones and O'Brien spent time talking football before, they would likely be able to implement some of those Alabama concepts relatively smoothly.

Now let's do 3rd and 29! Oh wait doesn't fit the narrative that Mac sucks you peddle every day.
What about Patricia? You mean that the OL blocked and the NE are pretty good?

As usual, ignore the majority of lousy pass plays and praise the few that actually worked.

Future. I'm done with this regime. 3 years is enough. Let's loose with a chance of the future. First step, Robert steps down as CEO. Stays owner. Junior takes over. Fires the whole coaching staff, soup to nuts. Start search for a new coach and start drafting top level consensus talent. Can't go wrong. Maybe a big turnaround next season! Take the shot!

Future. I'm done with this regime. 3 years is enough. Let's loose with a chance of the future. First step, Robert steps down as CEO. Stays owner. Junior takes over. Fires the whole coaching staff, soup to nuts. Start search for a new coach and start drafting top level consensus talent. Can't go wrong. Maybe a big turnaround next season! Take the shot!
Hang in there.
This team has only been uncompetitive in 3 games all year. Miami (kinda), Bears (WTF), and Bills. Despite the low-grade octane offense, we have had a significant chance to win all those other games. I think blowing this up would be a very bad move, but I do agree that some big changes on the OL and at the OC position are the easiest to start with. This defense is one more impact player away from really terrorizing the NFL next year.

Let achord do something else. Theyve again contributed big to 2 losses this year. Punt coverage has been meh at best.

Then he gets credit for ST contributed big to 2 wins. Marcus Jones GW PR and Schooler recovering a muff which set the Pats up for what ended up being the GW TD against the steelers.

Then he gets credit for ST contributed big to 2 wins. Marcus Jones GW PR and Schooler recovering a muff which set the Pats up for what ended up being the GW TD against the steelers.

The return was nice, but a muffed punt recovery isn’t really something to laud the coach over. The special teams has had its ups and downs overall , but how many times in the bb era can you remember multiple breakdowns contributing to multiple losses? It’s happened 2 years in a row now. Jake bailey before getting hurt had the worst net yardage in the league. I don’t remember that happening either. And its a team that stresses special teams talent on roster management.

Please make this come true. :thumbsup: Even just a "competent" play-caller would make a world of difference for this offense. If Matt Patricia has to be relegated to fetching coffee/donuts duty, I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the good of the team. :haha:

Hang in there.
This team has only been uncompetitive in 3 games all year. Miami (kinda), Bears (WTF), and Bills. Despite the low-grade octane offense, we have had a significant chance to win all those other games. I think blowing this up would be a very bad move, but I do agree that some big changes on the OL and at the OC position are the easiest to start with. This defense is one more impact player away from really terrorizing the NFL next year.
I'm a cut your losses kind of guy at the craps table. Lets just say we loose the last 2 games. 7-9, 10-7, 7-10 last 3 years. 3 loosing seasons.

Last edited:
I'm a cut your losses kind of guy at the craps table. Lets just say we loose the last 2 games. 7-9, 10-7, 7-10 last 3 years. 3 loosing seasons.
One year around 500 give or take a game and you want to wipe out and start over? That seems a bit over dramatic The league is set up for a team to rise up for 3-4 years then sink back down a few years before rising again. The fact that we stayed near the top 20+ years is a testament to ownership and coaching.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back