PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick: Patriots To Try Logan Ryan At Safety During Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.
because #5 corners get few reps at corner, other than as a dime back

I'm not sure why you believe that he'll never be seeing time as a CB though?

But it is not often that the #5 CB is of starting quality though. Even Law and the big Six, weren't that good.

The reason Belichick is moving Ryan to safety is because he wants him to get more reps. He obviously will get more reps as the #2 or #3 safety than at #5 CB.

If all the corners are healthy, how many reps do you expect Ryan to get at corner, other than being our dime for the first 4 weeks?

But it is not often that the #5 CB is of starting quality though. Even Law and the big Six, weren't that good.

We have no idea where Logan Ryan will end up in the CB race. He could in theory, play well in camp and jump ahead of either Arrington or Dennard. Belichick could move either one of those players just as well, as he prefers to test different players in different spots in the secondary for depth and emergency purposes (he pretty much stated as much in his comments).

There's also the fact that we have injuries every single year, so not only are you assuming the fact that he cannot beat out any of the other 2 players in front of him (Arrington, Dennard), you are also assuming full health at the position of CB. That seems short-sighted in my opinion. You could be right, of course.

The reason Belichick is moving Ryan to safety is because he wants him to get more reps.

This is pure speculation, and while you could be right, so could anyone else who believes otherwise. So, in your opinion:

1. There will be no injuries or games missed from CBs this year

2. L.Ryan is not talented enough, nor does he have the potential to jump in front of Arrington or Dennard at any point during the year

3. Camp battles have already been won, therefore making L.Ryan a CB5 for the rest of the season

4. Belichick is giving him reps at safety not due to the fact that he prefers to have versatility and depth, but that he is specifically looking to get one player on the team (Ryan) more looks

Last edited:
If all the corners are healthy, how many reps do you expect Ryan to get at corner, other than being our dime for the first 4 weeks?

To answer your question about "how many reps I expect," we played in subpackages about 60-65% of the time last year---so I'd expect plenty of reps no matter what.

As we know, Belichick will do what is best for the team, and use the players who give us the best chance to win. Those battles will take place from now until the end of August, and there are plenty of options available as Belichick himself noted in his comments, to get many players looks at the various positions in the secondary.

Understanding that we have a difference of opinions on this specific topic, I feel as though it's much too early to assume camp battles have already been won, and that L.Ryan is automatically our CB5 as you're stating. What I do believe, is that he has obvious potential to be the S3 as well, so on that we agree. I just don't think it's quite that cut and dry; particularly in the month of May. It's my belief that he'll also be seeing plenty of time at the position of CB as well. Hopefully he can contribute to both. Time will tell what happens.

No matter what happens, I appreciate the debate and the responses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back