PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Ben accused of sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Big Ben Accused of Sexual Assault

So you are saying that she will not file criminal charges because of coworkers but will file civil suit. WHere's the logic in that?

To me, the biggest problem is that she is not filing a criminal charge. Why not. That is the question. Why doesn't she?

I'm not sure what you're saying here. People can't file criminal charges. Only prosecutors can.

You're mixing apples with oranges here. Everyone including the media would have dismissed a civil action's timing concurrent with the Super Bowl as mere grandstanding. Not much is happening in the NFL at the moment; the timing before training camp is calculated for maximum effect of moving the media to jump on the story so it'll bug Ben enough to throw some dollars her way.

I really don't understand this reasoning. This would be a much bigger deal for media purposes during the season.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. People can't file criminal charges. Only prosecutors can.

I believe he meant issuing a criminal complaint.

I tend to agree with you. I lean towards "innocent until proven guilty" - even in the case of celebrities (even more because there's a financial incentive for accusers).

That being said, no one knows if there's merit to this accusation - I do know that I couldn't imagine Tom Brady or Peyton Manning credibly being accused of something like this. Accusing Rothlesberger? That's far less of a stretch for me to believe.

Well, Peyton was accused of putting his balls on his trainer's face, and he paid $$ for what he did. If a guy is able to do that, then I'm not sure where he draws the line.

I believe he meant issuing a criminal complaint.

Right, but we don't know whether she did or not, according to the article. If she had, the police would not have released it unless the prosecutor proceeded to investigate. Oftentimes, prosecutors do not bother with this sort of thing.

didn't go quickly enough? It's been a YEAR and she still hasn't gone to the police. We're not talking a few days delay. We're talking a YEAR. And still no complaint. WHy not? That is the crux of the matter.

Actually, that isn't what was said. It was said that no criminal complaint was filed. There was nothing mentioned about her trying to file. And if there is no evidence of the rape, then no one will take her complaint. Also, the Cops could have had the same reaction that some people are having on here. That she is just trying to get money...

Besides, the opposite of what you say about lying is equally plausible. Several coworkers claimed it didn't happen; she claims the coworkers are lying. To assume that she is the one telling the truth does a diservice to the coworkers. And vice versa, of course.

Again, this is why its a civil suit. Not a criminal one.

Criminal charge = justice
Civil suit = money

So you are saying that she will not file criminal charges because of coworkers but will file civil suit. WHere's the logic in that?

To me, the biggest problem is that she is not filing a criminal charge. Why not. That is the question. Why doesn't she?

No where was it stated that she hasn't tried to file charges. And several people have pointed out that without evidence, its unlikely that the police would just take her word for it. Especially after what happened down in NC.

That's fine for people who do nothing. I can understand that. It's sad, but many people don't want the negative publicity. But the question is still why a civil suit and never a criminal complaint? The defense lawyers are granted MUCH more leeway in a civil cuit to question the character of the plaintiff.

This has been answered for you several times.

If staff members need to go on the stand and say that they destroyed video... yikes ! It's way too premature to suppose somthing like this : but reading between the lines, that hotel better not have asked anyone to do such a thing.

After reading that, it's seems unlikely that it is all made up.
It does but a year later it will be hard to prove unless she went to the hospital soon after.

It does but a year later it will be hard to prove unless she went to the hospital soon after.
Or kept the blue dress she was wearing.

Wnen does Senator Comcast Specter call for hearings?

Or kept the blue dress she was wearing.
Tapes, clothes or a hospital rape kit would go a long way. Other than that . . . he's probably home free.

Tapes, clothes or a hospital rape kit would go a long way. Other than that . . . he's probably home free.

It's hard to say... it's so random in celeb court cases. OJ leaves blood all over and gets nabbed for stealing his own stuff ?!?!!? Then M. Tyson has what seems on the surface to be a he said-she said and goes to jail...

Civil suits have a much lower standard for determining guilt. You don't need a smoking gun here.

Civil suits have a much lower standard for determining guilt. You don't need a smoking gun here.
You're right - but I'd have difficulty finding him guilty, even civilly, with "just" her word with so much money involved. Of course, if he is guilty then I hope he's prosecuted criminally too.

You're right - but I'd have difficulty finding him guilty, even civilly, with "just" her word with so much money involved. Of course, if he is guilty then I hope he's prosecuted criminally too.

What if other things check out?......witnesses confirming the conversation about her coming to the room relative to a tv...the 20 minute conversation....the amount of time she was in the room......the lack of any call about a TV problem after she left.....maybe cameras of her coming out looking upset, etc. etc. etc. Lets say detail after detail checks out.

There is no physical evidence of the assault....say no lab kit or analysis. No independent witnesses of the actual event.....but her story becomes more believeable if all the OTHER details check out. Not saying they will.....but there are plenty of ways to "prove" things other than videotapes of the event itself and lab results.

J D Sal

Last edited:

If the lawyer's not an idiot he's lining up a lot of corroborating evidence. Not a smoking gun or a rape kit with DNA, but video tapes, corroborating testimony, and maybe even a witness that backs up her story of what happened right with her being pressured by hotel employees after the alleged event took place. He said she said won't win her anything, and her lawyer knows that. It's the other stuff he can put together that will make the case, and maybe even the credibility of his client.

What if other things check out......witnesses confirming the conversation about her coming to the room relative to a tv...the 20 minute conversation....the amount of time she was in the room......the lack of any call about a TV problem after she left.....maybe cameras of her coming out looking upset.
You're right.

The more interesting part is if all that stuff exists (a big IF) whether they would go after him criminally. They would almost have to, I would think, if that kind of evidence exists.

You're right.

The more interesting part is if all that stuff exists (a big IF) whether they would go after him criminally. They would almost have to, I would think, if that kind of evidence exists.

Supposedly her lawyer represented the Governor's wife in their divorce. So this isn't some ambulance chaser. He's likely a big gun in Nevada. I'm sure he has spent a year compiling evidence to support his case. And once this gets some light, perhaps the DA will ask to review it so they can consider charges as well. It could still happen.

J D Sal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call