PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Ben accused of sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Big Ben Accused of Sexual Assault

A civil accusation of rape and kidnapping? Oh right, that's not nearly as bad as taping defensive signals.
So it would appear. :(

A civil accusation of rape and kidnapping? Oh right, that's not nearly as bad as taping defensive signals.

You're mixing apples with oranges here. Everyone including the media would have dismissed a civil action's timing concurrent with the Super Bowl as mere grandstanding. Not much is happening in the NFL at the moment; the timing before training camp is calculated for maximum effect of moving the media to jump on the story so it'll bug Ben enough to throw some dollars her way.

You're mixing apples with oranges here. Everyone including the media would have dismissed a civil action's timing concurrent with the Super Bowl as mere grandstanding. Not much is happening in the NFL at the moment; the timing before training camp is calculated for maximum effect of moving the media to jump on the story so it'll bug Ben enough to throw some dollars her way.

Nobody's paying attention to the NFL at all right now, so no. ESPN isn't even covering it. And by your argument spygate should have been dismissed as grandstanding. I'm not sure you know how media works. Anyway, you can't argue veracity based on timing, you have to argue veracity based on the facts of the case itself, which we don't really know.

Found pix of the complaintent & co-workers on the net...

Last edited:

It seems to me Ben was a moron for even allowing this girl into his life. Nothing good comes out of having sex with random women if you're a high profile figure.

Stick to other high profile women, like pro athletes, models, actresses, leave the "everyday" people alone.

I hope he doesn't settle and allows the suit to go forth so he can prove his innocence, if in fact he is guilt free in this case. Throwing money at her to go away is as good as admitting guilt. I don't want that at all.

I tend to agree with you. I lean towards "innocent until proven guilty" - even in the case of celebrities (even more because there's a financial incentive for accusers).

That being said, no one knows if there's merit to this accusation - I do know that I couldn't imagine Tom Brady or Peyton Manning credibly being accused of something like this. Accusing Rothlesberger? That's far less of a stretch for me to believe.

He got it from the article you linked:

Time will tell, but this smells like the Jerome Bettis and Randy Moss shakedowns to me.

I meant where did he get it just occurred to her a year later? Events don't just occur to a plaintiff the day their lawyer happens to file the paper work.

J D Sal

It seems to me Ben was a moron for even allowing this girl into his life. Nothing good comes out of having sex with random women if you're a high profile figure.

Stick to other high profile women, like pro athletes, models, actresses, leave the "everyday" people alone.

I hope he doesn't settle and allows the suit to go forth so he can prove his innocence, if in fact he is guilt free in this case. Throwing money at her to go away is as good as admitting guilt. I don't want that at all.

1) prenup
2) paternity lawsuits are a *****

Found pix of the complaintent & co-workers on the net...

That shirt she has on says XXL??? My ass

She should add more Xs to that shirt than you would find in a normal tic-tac-toe game

I'm not sure you know how media works.

Friend, I AM the media. I was a newspaper reporter/editor for 17 years and now publish a magazine. Your attempt to equate this civil suit with "spygate" makes no sense, they're completely different stories. The woman's lawyer isn't trying to create a national firestorm, he's trying to extract money from Roethlisberger. In that respect the timing right before training camp makes perfect sense.

Even though he's a Steeler he's still entitled to due process, which means he's innocent until proven guilty.

Although he might have done it I view such accusations with a lot of suspicion, there are plenty of women out there looking for a big paycheck, Strahan's ex even had the audacity to say "I'm going to Disneyland" after she was awarded 2/3 of his wealth".

The woman who accused Kobe bragged to her friends later about how thick he was, and had intercourse with 2 other man AFTER the alleged rape occurred.

Friend, I AM the media. I was a newspaper reporter/editor for 17 years and now publish a magazine. Your attempt to equate this civil suit with "spygate" makes no sense, they're completely different stories. The woman's lawyer isn't trying to create a national firestorm, he's trying to extract money from Roethlisberger. In that respect the timing right before training camp makes perfect sense.

1) Nobody's equating. Read the posts again. It's a lesson on how to get maximum media exposure. Simple.
2) If you're applying pressure to extract something you look for maximum leverage. The dead of the NFL off-season is not maximum leverage. Quite the opposite. The super bowl or the playoffs, however is a totally different animal. All of which suggests that the timing is not based on getting media attention, but probably more due to the fact that it's when her lawyer had a case ready to file.

I tend to agree with you. I lean towards "innocent until proven guilty" - even in the case of celebrities (even more because there's a financial incentive for accusers).

That being said, no one knows if there's merit to this accusation - I do know that I couldn't imagine Tom Brady or Peyton Manning credibly being accused of something like this. Accusing Rothlesberger? That's far less of a stretch for me to believe.

yeah it seems that Ben as a reputation for getting around with ladies. He needs to keep his head in the playbook and his gun in the holster. Dumbarse for sure. Dumb move on his part just being with this girl at all.

I hate the Steelers as much as the next guy, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until there is more info.

There's a lot of pretty nasty comments on here - aren't there a lot of people on here who blast fans of other teams for doing the exact same thing we are doing?

As for Ben Roethlisberger and this incident - I certainly will stay on the sidelines until more information comes to light. I wil not give him the benefit of the doubt, nor will I give any credibility to the woman - I simply will not pass judgment either way until I know more.

As for Steeler fans, I hope you suffer all the angst and heartache a story like this is now bringing you and is sure to continue to deliver your way (especially if it gains any momentum).

I will never forgive the way Steeler nation reacted to the Brady injury last year, it was pathetic, mean spirited and totally classless. I hope you choke on your Pollard T shirts - you may just get what you deserve.

I will never forgive the way Steeler nation reacted to the Brady injury last year, it was pathetic, mean spirited and totally classless. I hope you choke on your Pollard T shirts - you may just get what you deserve.

What is this, the Hatfields and the McCoys?

1) Nobody's equating. Read the posts again. It's a lesson on how to get maximum media exposure. Simple.
2) If you're applying pressure to extract something you look for maximum leverage. The dead of the NFL off-season is not maximum leverage. Quite the opposite. The super bowl or the playoffs, however is a totally different animal. All of which suggests that the timing is not based on getting media attention, but probably more due to the fact that it's when her lawyer had a case ready to file.

I know exactly what you're trying to say and it doesn't work. The TYPE of story matters when it comes to calculating media exposure. The media exercises discernment in such matters, believe it or not. Maximum media exposure at the Super Bowl would've worked for a criminal complaint, NOT a civil case. This is a civil case. The dead of the NFL season DAYS BEFORE TRAINING CAMP is the PERFECT time to file a civil case of this nature. That's why it was done. Again, the lawyer here isn't attempting to make this a national media event as much as he's trying to make Ben uncomfortable enough to settle this outside the courtroom. How does the lawyer do that? By carefully orchestrating this to break when not much is happening so it will GET NOTICED AND RESEARCHED by reporters in time for Pittsburgh/NFL-oriented media to question Ben about it during his press availability AT TRAINING CAMP. What you naively believe is "simple" ain't so simple.

Rapistberger? His lawyer said ben never raped anyone especially her? WTF does that even mean...is she on the bottom of his would rape list?

Definitely a weird comment.

didn't go quickly enough? It's been a YEAR and she still hasn't gone to the police. We're not talking a few days delay. We're talking a YEAR. And still no complaint. WHy not? That is the crux of the matter.

Where are you getting your info? The article says it is not known if she went to the police.

I know exactly what you're trying to say and it doesn't work. The TYPE of story matters when it comes to calculating media exposure. The media exercises discernment in such matters, believe it or not. Maximum media exposure at the Super Bowl would've worked for a criminal complaint, NOT a civil case. This is a civil case. The dead of the NFL season DAYS BEFORE TRAINING CAMP is the PERFECT time to file a civil case of this nature. That's why it was done. Again, the lawyer here isn't attempting to make this a national media event as much as he's trying to make Ben uncomfortable enough to settle this outside the courtroom. How does the lawyer do that? By carefully orchestrating this to break when not much is happening so it will GET NOTICED AND RESEARCHED by reporters in time for Pittsburgh/NFL-oriented media to question Ben about it during his press availability AT TRAINING CAMP. What you naively believe is "simple" ain't so simple.

End of regular season & start of playoffs > start of training camp.

Edit: in fact, if all I was doing was vying for pressure, I'd have waited until midway through the season. Some evidence that the timing is not great for media exposure? ESPN.com still doesn't have it on the front page.

Last edited:

Thers no need to get nasty, I'm not attacking you, all i'm pointing out is that why did it take so long for this to come out. Hes a big name star it would be quite hard to keeps this under wraps if she comp[lained a year ago. And why wouldn't it be criminal rape is against the law. I think shes after money.

There are numerous reasons why women don't go to the police after being sexually assaulted. Two of the biggest reasons are that they don't want to have to re-live the humiliation of the act and they are scared of the ridicule and accusations that they will have to face. Such as the accusation you've made of her.

You should count yourself lucky that you've not known anyone who was raped. The trauma that they suffer is something that you can't imagine. It takes an extremely strong person just to be able to put their life back together to some form of normalcy. It takes a person 10 times that strong to actually face their accuser.

Here is the webpage that Brown University set up regarding Rape and Sexual Assault. It has a lot of good information on it:
Sexual Assault and Rape

Here are some other startling statistics to think about before you go making accusations that the woman is just in it for the money:

Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case