PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Ben accused of sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Big Ben Accused of Sexual Assault

Let's wait and see.

I can recall a lot of NFL fans who rushed to defend Michael Vick when the first allegations of what was going on in a house in Virginia became known, and I also remember many NFL fans assuming Randy Moss was guilty when a woman in Florida accused him of battery and was looking for a settlement.

It could be a case of somebody trying to shakedown a person with money, it could be a case of a rich and famous jock thinking he can do whatever he wants, or it could be something in the vast gray area in between those two extremes. Let's give it some time before jumping to conclusions.

I'll also be curious to see how Roger Goodell reacts once the facts become public; he can't be happy with this news.

The Moss example is a good one. Until we know more, this could go either way. Though, Ben doesnt have a history of doing the smart thing :rolleyes:

I'm willing to convict him right now I mean besides being such a doofus he plays for the Steelers....hang him

I'm willing to convict him right now I mean besides being such a doofus he plays for the Steelers....hang him

I am willing to give him the same benifit of doubt Steelers fans gave Moss...shoot him...then hang him.

Anyone up for making an Andrea McNulty Fanclub tshirt?

Last edited:

Sexual Assault is a serious thing and should be taken seriously and investigated, but, based on the report and reflecting comments of other posters, I'm giving Big Ben the big benefit of the doubt until I learn a little more.

What a weird comment:
Makes me believe that he did. Lying can be a very tricky; you end up saying weird things when trying to maintain the lie.

Makes me believe that he did. Lying can be a very tricky; you end up saying weird things when trying to maintain the lie.

Of course innocent until proven guilty but where there's smoke ....

I can't believe they would go to court with no witnesses or some sort of
a case. Ben seems to like going to clubs. If he had too much too drink
I guess he could have crossed the line.

But even if he did something ... it won't get to court. He'll get the Kobe
treatment and buy his way out.

Sexual Assault is a serious thing and should be taken seriously and investigated, but, based on the report and reflecting comments of other posters, I'm giving Big Ben the big benefit of the doubt until I learn a little more.

I hate the Steelers as much as the next guy, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until there is more info.

There's a lot of pretty nasty comments on here - aren't there a lot of people on here who blast fans of other teams for doing the exact same thing we are doing?

Before everybody accuses the alleged victim for not going to the police first (too late, I know), I'd like to introduce a simple fact:

In 1996, more than two-thirds of rape/sexual assaults committed in the nation remained unreported. (Ringel, C. (1997, November). Criminal Victimization in 1996, Changes 1995-1996 with Trends 1993-1996, NCJ-165812, p.3. Washington, DC: Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice.)
Rape and Sexual Assault

So, it's not uncommon for the victim to go to the police, and no real conclusions about her motives can be drawn from the fact that she didn't.

Also, according to PFT:

It's unknown at this point whether McNulty ever has attempted to file criminal charges as a result of the incident, which allegedly occurred in July 2008.
Finally, bear in mind that the alleged victim claims that

McNulty also claims that the coworkers named in the complaint thereafter defamed her by making allegedly false and inflammatory statements, and by allegedly serving as aiders and abettors of Roethlisberger's alleged misconduct after the fact.
So it is entirely possible that she was attacked, didn't go to the police quickly enough, partly due to coersion, and now is pursuing her only real recourse: a civil suit.

People saying that she is only out for the money have absolutely zero reason to believe that their own claim is actually true! :ugh: At this point, there's simply not enough information to draw a conclusion.

Finally, let's remember how Kobe Bryant wiggled out of his case: settling after legally harassing the hell out of the victim. This is very ugly business, and going to court against millionaires is not easy. The alleged victim is now going to be put under a huge magnifying glass and you'd have to be either 1) completely insane, or 2) justifiably angry to put yourself through something like that. In the end, I hope her claims are not true, for both their sake. If this is a normal and sane woman though, I fear the worst.

Glad I'm not him.

Not taking his side, not taking her side : just glad I'm not either one of them... only bad things can come out of this (for someone). She gets dragged in the mud - her past life out there (if there's something to be found, they'll find it). He gets craploads of questions regarding this for months - or, if it's true, much worse...

Glad I'm not them.

We should probably give both parties the benefit of the doubt until we have decent facts. Of course, he said she said is so hard to prove, but if those hotel employees confirm her story....

Finally, bear in mind that the alleged victim claims that

McNulty also claims that the coworkers named in the complaint thereafter defamed her by making allegedly false and inflammatory statements, and by allegedly serving as aiders and abettors of Roethlisberger's alleged misconduct after the fact.

So it is entirely possible that she was attacked, didn't go to the police quickly enough, partly due to coersion,
didn't go quickly enough? It's been a YEAR and she still hasn't gone to the police. We're not talking a few days delay. We're talking a YEAR. And still no complaint. WHy not? That is the crux of the matter.

Besides, the opposite of what you say about lying is equally plausible. Several coworkers claimed it didn't happen; she claims the coworkers are lying. To assume that she is the one telling the truth does a diservice to the coworkers. And vice versa, of course.

and now is pursuing her only real recourse: a civil suit.

Criminal charge = justice
Civil suit = money

So you are saying that she will not file criminal charges because of coworkers but will file civil suit. WHere's the logic in that?

To me, the biggest problem is that she is not filing a criminal charge. Why not. That is the question. Why doesn't she?

Before everybody accuses the alleged victim for not going to the police first (too late, I know), I'd like to introduce a simple fact:

Rape and Sexual Assault

So, it's not uncommon for the victim to go to the police, and no real conclusions about her motives can be drawn from the fact that she didn't.
That's fine for people who do nothing. I can understand that. It's sad, but many people don't want the negative publicity. But the question is still why a civil suit and never a criminal complaint? The defense lawyers are granted MUCH more leeway in a civil cuit to question the character of the plaintiff.

didn't go quickly enough? It's been a YEAR and she still hasn't gone to the police. We're not talking a few days delay. We're talking a YEAR. And still no complaint. WHy not? That is the crux of the matter.

Besides, the opposite of what you say about lying is equally plausible. Several coworkers claimed it didn't happen; she claims the coworkers are lying. To assume that she is the one telling the truth does a diservice to the coworkers. And vice versa, of course.

Civil suit = money

So you are saying that she will not file criminal charges because of coworkers but will file civil suit. WHere's the logic in that?

To me, the biggest problem is that she is not filing a criminal charge. Why not. That is the question. Why doesn't she?

That's fine for people who do nothing. I can understand that. It's sad, but many people don't want the negative publicity. But the question is still why a civil suit and never a criminal complaint? The defense lawyers are granted MUCH more leeway in a civil cuit to question the character of the plaintiff.

Most rapes don't go reported. Fact. If it's not reported immediately, there's not much in the way of evidence and not much in the way of criminal prosecution. If you are pressured at work not to report it and lose the evidence, your only recourse is civil.

Not very smart, are you?

Another distraction involving Ben Roethlisberger as the season following a Super Bowl victory nears. Interesting.

This is a great point.

Let's see how hypocritical sheriff Roger Goodell is over not punishing Big Ben

Civil suit = money

... the question is still why a civil suit and never a criminal complaint?

Absolutely correct. This case will never see a courtroom. Consider her lawyer's timing -- a few days before training camp starts for maximum exposure and impact as a "distraction" for the Steelers. Roethlisberger likely will toss a few bucks her way to make it go away. It'll be a distant memory by September.

Absolutely correct. This case will never see a courtroom. Consider her lawyer's timing -- a few days before training camp starts for maximum exposure and impact as a "distraction" for the Steelers. Roethlisberger likely will toss a few bucks her way to make it go away. It'll be a distant memory by September.

Maximum exposure is right before the super bowl, no?

Maximum exposure is right before the super bowl, no?

Filing a criminal complaint would have been, yes, but not a civil action.

Filing a criminal complaint would have been, yes, but not a civil action.

A civil accusation of rape and kidnapping? Oh right, that's not nearly as bad as taping defensive signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back