PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bethel vs Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I know that there was a lot of criticism when Bethel was shipped, but how do you feel now that Sully has had a solid camp? Is there anybody who still says Sully won't make this team or that it was a bad trade? Imo, it was a good trade, and Sully will do very well here.

Digger44 said:
I know that there was a lot of criticism when Bethel was shipped, but how do you feel now that Sully has had a solid camp? Is there anybody who still says Sully won't make this team or that it was a bad trade? Imo, it was a good trade, and Sully will do very well here.

So far, so good, i s'pose.
But only in the past few weeks has it seemed that way.
For the longer term, Sully seems to lack two of Belichick's prerequisites:
consistency ... and football being the most important thing in your life.

Bethel, for all his quirks, also would be lookin good about now ... had no trade been made.

flutie2phelan said:

Bethel, for all his quirks, also would be lookin good about now ... had no trade been made.

Seemed to be a lot of passion in his comments over the weekend.
He feels he will be totally exonerated from the drug use charge and totally denied ever having used. Said he will be happy to be tested as much as the NFL wants and only feels bad that his parents have to undergo this embarassment on his behalf.

He also said NE V NO is night and day and he looks forward to contributing.

I sensed a guy that is very happy to be where he is and is ready to resurrect his career.

I think we have a winner here guys....really nice to have quality depth at nose - just in case and to spell Vince for a while.

flutie2phelan said:

Bethel was a "healthy scratch" at times when the Pats were depleted at WR. Doesn't that say everything about what the coaches thought about him? He probably would have been cut weeks ago if not traded.

Last edited:
I liked the trade as soon as i read about it on here.
Sullivan was part of a crappy defense in New Orleans.
He will automatically be better on the Pats just because he will be surrounded by better players. This is before you take everything else into account.

Also he went to college with Seymour, who is hopefully helping him out and motivating him.

It's nice to hear that he seems to be getting his priorities straight and from what i've read, Bellichik seems impressed with him lately.

He hoefully will continue to work hard and ressurect his career. He got traded to a championship team, this is his big chance. He just has to do it.

Whatever that Bethel ever offered this team could be easily replaced. The only play I saw of his that i was ever really impressed was the Colts pre-halftime kickoff return TD.

Keegs said:
I liked the trade as soon as i read about it on here.
Sullivan was part of a crappy defense in New Orleans.
He will automatically be better on the Pats just because he will be surrounded by better players. This is before you take everything else into account.

Also he went to college with Seymour, who is hopefully helping him out and motivating him.

It's nice to hear that he seems to be getting his priorities straight and from what i've read, Bellichik seems impressed with him lately.

He hoefully will continue to work hard and ressurect his career. He got traded to a championship team, this is his big chance. He just has to do it.

Whatever that Bethel ever offered this team could be easily replaced. The only play I saw of his that i was ever really impressed was the Colts pre-halftime kickoff return TD.

Bethel's flat out diving catch with one arm against Seattle in '04 to seal the game was also a thing of beauty. The interesting thing (or frustrating thing) about Bethel was, I do not believe he suited up for either of the Super Bowls. So much untapped potential.....

"Bethel's flat out diving catch with one arm against Seattle in '04 "

The WBCN call of "A LEAPING, Diving Catch" still rings in my head. Just an awesome play.

Bethel had about 10 plays worth remembering in 3 yrs.

His TD catch against the Titans in the Pats first round play off game in '03 was the play of the game IMO. He just blew past the Titan's secondary on a deep post. Gave us the early lead which really helped set the tone.

I wish him the best, but I am not really going to miss him.

hughthehand said:
"Bethel's flat out diving catch with one arm against Seattle in '04 "

The WBCN call of "A LEAPING, Diving Catch" still rings in my head. Just an awesome play.

Bethel had about 10 plays worth remembering in 3 yrs.

His TD catch against the Titans in the Pats first round play off game in '03 was the play of the game IMO. He just blew past the Titan's secondary on a deep post. Gave us the early lead which really helped set the tone.

I wish him the best, but I am not really going to miss him.

i dont think anybody will really miss him.

might work for both teams... but a no risk situation for the pats, and it looks like sully will make the team.

Bethel was injured in the Saints last preseason game. Coaches had to help him off the field. I haven't checked out any reports on the seriousness of the injury...so at least Sullivan is not injured.

Pat the Pats Fan said:
Bethel's flat out diving catch with one arm against Seattle in '04 to seal the game was also a thing of beauty. The interesting thing (or frustrating thing) about Bethel was, I do not believe he suited up for either of the Super Bowls. So much untapped potential.....

That's one catch I'll easily still remember years from now. At the time of that catch I could not help but wonder how much natural talent and superstar potential Bethel had. Too bad it didn't work out with us.

Sullivan's looking good though :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference