PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bequette, Cunningham, Francis, Scott?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Francis will be tough to cut and most likely wouldn't make it to the practice squad. The abundance of edge rushers could allow Carter to take the time to heal and not be rushed back. By the time he's healthy there might be a spot for him.

I'm guessing that Carter may not be back, but who knows at this point.

If he does come back, please don't try to hang it over my head 4 months down the road ;)

I agree that Francis may be tought to cut, as so far he would likely have earned a spot.

It used to be a rookie was considered a bust if he hadn't made all pro by the end of his first preseason. Now it seems the criteria is the end of the first week of camp. Tough critics on this board.

It used to be a rookie was considered a bust if he hadn't made all pro by the end of his first preseason. Now it seems the criteria is the end of the first week of camp. Tough critics on this board.

I certainly agree with you there.

I think the added competition, along with many different reports that deem him as not doing too well have added to the thought though.

He may catch a case of the Foxborough flu.

I'm guessing that Carter may not be back, but who knows at this point.

If he does come back, please don't try to hang it over my head 4 months down the road ;)

I agree that Francis may be tought to cut, as so far he would likely have earned a spot.

Its early and we don't know how healthy he is but Carter is a better player than Cunningham and Francis.

Not sure about Scott- yet.

If BB thinks his team is better with Carter, he will be part of the 53.

Last edited:
I think people sense that somebody gotta go because of the depth.

Its early and we don't know how healthy he is but Carter is a better player than Cunningham and Francis.

Sure. I think it's always fair and obvious to state that Belichick will make the best decisions for the team.

IF A.Carter does play this year for the NEP though, he won't be making the initial 53 man roster, that's for sure.

His options would be to come back later in the year if/when he is able to play, or miss the season altogether--possibly even retiring.

I think that he will not be here, and that the team couldn't afford to wait it out and see any longer. Actually that may have even affected the decision to uncharacteristically move up (TWICE!!!) in the first round to actually pick DE/LB players.

I think people sense that somebody gotta go because of the depth.

Yep, that's all it is. Especially if you do factor in Andre Carter, some players who are not "busts" will have to be cut from that DE group.

Cunningham is in his 3rd year here....he clearly needs to beat the guys who just showed up or he is gone

I hope it "clicks" for Cunningham this preseason. I liked the kid from Day 1 and even when he was at Florida (even though I hate the Gators). I believe he can add a lot to the defense if he can make the cut. Something tells me he'll be on our roster come week 1.

Cunningham is in his 3rd year here....he clearly needs to beat the guys who just showed up or he is gone

Well, that's one way to look at it, no doubt.

Another would be that he has more knowledge of the system, schemes, and responsibilities than the others. He also did pretty well in his first year here.

It was really only last year where he lost his spot in the depth chart, and that was to some decent competition. I'm not anywhere near convinced that Cunningham is gone just yet, but you're right that he needs to step it up and take hold of his opportunity.

Sure. I think it's always fair and obvious to state that Belichick will make the best decisions for the team.

IF A.Carter does play this year for the NEP though, he won't be making the initial 53 man roster, that's for sure.

His options would be to come back later in the year if/when he is able to play, or miss the season altogether--possibly even retiring.

I think that he will not be here, and that the team couldn't afford to wait it out and see any longer. Actually that may have even affected the decision to uncharacteristically move up (TWICE!!!) in the first round to actually pick DE/LB players.

I disagree.

Brian Waters wasn't signed until at the end of the pre-season and was on the 53.

If guys at OLB/DE start to fall or it becomes clear that they are not good enough during TC, BB will bring in Carter.

It's not a question of whether Carter is better. He is coming off a serious injury, is 33 years old, is not under contract with the Patriots and supposedly wants big money so it's not a slam dunk he'll return.

It's not a question of whether Carter is better. He is coming off a serious injury, is 33 years old, is not under contract with the Patriots and supposedly wants big money so it's not a slam dunk he'll return.

Wasn't aware that he wanted big money. I think Carter is realistic enough to know at 33 and coming off a major injury he wasn't going to get it. I'm sure if another team threw cash at he sign. The problem is that there aren't any other teams...

My take was that he wasn't 100% healthy and BB wanted to see what he had with the kids before he brought in a vet.

Well, that's one way to look at it, no doubt.

Another would be that he has more knowledge of the system, schemes, and responsibilities than the others. He also did pretty well in his first year here.

It was really only last year where he lost his spot in the depth chart, and that was to some decent competition. I'm not anywhere near convinced that Cunningham is gone just yet, but you're right that he needs to step it up and take hold of his opportunity.

None of them are going anywhere in a hurry. This will likely be a last cut. Of course, one of them could get 'hurt'

Wasn't aware that he wanted big money. I think Carter is realistic enough to know at 33 and coming off a major injury he wasn't going to get it. I'm sure if another team threw cash at he sign. The problem is that there aren't any other teams...

My take was that he wasn't 100% healthy and BB wanted to see what he had with the kids before he brought in a vet.

There were reports that he wanted a 3 to 4 year deal for considerably more money than he made last year. It was also reported that he turned down offers from other teams so we'll have to wait and see.

Umm...something about his performance in camp, style of play, frame and athleticism, skills and potential? Pretty much anything about how he might help the football team (more than, say, Francis -- who is just as young and even cheaper)?

If "3rd round pick" were the entire story there wouldn't be much to talk about here. Or maybe we could reframe the whole competition like a joke: A 3rd-round pick, a UDFA and a UFA walk onto a football field....:)

(FWIW, I recognize the skills Bequette showed in college and I thought he was a strong pick on draft day. I'm just noting that the camp reports on him have been pretty consistently negative, and there's a ton of competition to make this roster.)

OK, here is something on Bequettes side.
Many believe that BB is going to change the base defense from his typical 3 300lbs DL, 2 260lb OLB/DE and 2 250ish ILBs, whether it is aligned as a 43 or 34, to 2 300lb DL, 3 260lb DE/OB and 2 250ish ILBs.
If that is the case, then Bequette would fit the mold of being somewhere in between the 300lb 34 DE/43 LDE and the 260lb 43 LDE that many envision now being a part of the base D.
Bequette seems to have the skillset of 34 OLB/43 RDE, but is bigger, and potentially could get into the 280-285 range where he could be a lighter version of the 34 DE/43 LDE not a guy who would be only a 34 OLB or 43 RDE in the base we have always run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST