PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bequette, Cunningham, Francis, Scott?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long was Cunningham here and provide nothing? I think Bequette should be given a little of a leash to figure sh!t out....

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! Bequette obviously hasn't shown first ballot hall-of-fame ability after one week in camp. Pats fans cannot tolerate this. Cut this bum!!!!! Cut all the bums!!! Sigh

How long was Cunningham here and provide nothing? I think Bequette should be given a little of a leash to figure sh!t out....

Cunningham had a strong rookie season, he didn't have major sack numbers but had good pressure, especially late. He was injured all last season and had no offseason, and he's been looking better than ever according to reports this offseason.

What reason is there to cut him when he's apparently looking like a week 1 starter?

Scott is not headed in the right direction. Multiple reports lately have said that he's cooled off a lot after a hot start, and he's the third team left end right now, I believe. I think Jones, Ninkovich, Bequette, and Cunningham are locks, with either Carter or Francis also having a chance.

I agree with the 4 locks (very, very likely). And the 5th is Scott, Francis or Carter. Certainly, Scott has a chance to move past Francis in the next month.

Scott is not headed in the right direction. Multiple reports lately have said that he's cooled off a lot after a hot start, and he's the third team left end right now, I believe. I think Jones, Ninkovich, Bequette, and Cunningham are locks, with either Carter or Francis also having a chance.

From Field Yates today:

Trevor Scott’s decisiveness. Veteran Trevor Scott has slowed after an impressive start to training camp, and here’s a thought as to what may have changed: his decisiveness. More accurately, what looks like a lack of it. During 1-on-1 drills and live pass rushing situations, Scott appears to get stuck in the mud mid-move, not being able to decide whether to use his quickness, speed, power, or technique to find the quarterback.

Francis continues to show-up. Undrafted rookie free agent Justin Francis, a defensive lineman from Rutgers, continues to show up all over the field. He’s been an active rusher during 1-on-1 drills, showing power to drive through his opponents' anchor, quickness from the edge and closing in on the quarterback, and unique ability to bend in his movements. He may be a little bit of a tweener between end and tackle based on his frame (6-foot-2, 278 pounds), but he continues to makes plays, both on defense and special teams.

Move of the day. Third-round draft pick Jake Bequette was surgical in bursting past Nate Solder in a rep of 1-one-1 pass rushing drills, using a nifty move in which he chopped with both of his hands onto the punch of Solder, who was backing into his anchor. The chop threw Solder’s set off-balance, and Bequette sped around the edge.

Camp Observations: Day 11 - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

From the reports I've read, Bequette certainly seems to be showing more than enough as a situational pass rusher to validate his 3rd round draft pick status. Francis and Cunningham are getting consistent good reports. As you note, Scott seems to be fading, but it's still early.

Bedard on Francis:

Francis continues to impress. He dusted Waldron with the push-pull-rip move. Francis, who has shown end/tackle versatility, is going to be hard to keep off the team if he stays healthy.

And his take on Bequette v Solder:

Bequette slapped Solder’s hands down, which got him off balance during an easy victory. Veteran move by the rookie end.

Loving the way the defense is coming together. If any "analyst" recites to the "Pats defense is old and slow" crap this year, they need to be fired on the spot.

Last edited:
From Field Yates today:

Camp Observations: Day 11 - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

From the reports I've read, Bequette certainly seems to be showing more than enough as a situational pass rusher to validate his 3rd round draft pick status. Francis and Cunningham are getting consistent good reports. As you note, Scott seems to be fading, but it's still early.

And from Bedard today:

- Ninkovich really takes it to Cannon. This time Cannon just couldn’t handle the speed of Ninkovich’s inside spin move.
- During the cards period, DE Rob Ninkovich got to play a little strong-side linebacker, something we have not seen him do in the Patriots’ scheme this camp
- Bequette slapped Solder’s hands down, which got him off balance during an easy victory. Veteran move by the rookie end.
- Francis continues to impress. He dusted Waldron with the push-pull-rip move. Francis, who has shown end/tackle versatility, is going to be hard to keep off the team if he stays healthy.

Practice rundown #9 - Extra Points - Boston.com

Ouch. If Cannon can't handle Ninkovich spin move, what's he going to do when he faces off against Dwight Freeney one on one?

I have to say that I am a little concerned about the Patriots tackles being unable to handle the rookie pass rushers.

he's not looking like a week 1 starter......

don't confuse getting lots of playing time with having a strong rookie season....when the chips were down, they went with eric moore, and then when the next season came around, the pats decided to go with the 4-3 and carter/anderson.....mostly because of cunningham.

I don't have a pony in the race, but I believe cunningham will be gone by week 1

Cunningham had a strong rookie season, he didn't have major sack numbers but had good pressure, especially late. He was injured all last season and had no offseason, and he's been looking better than ever according to reports this offseason.

What reason is there to cut him when he's apparently looking like a week 1 starter?

Ouch. If Cannon can't handle Ninkovich spin move, what's he going to do when he faces off against Dwight Freeney one on one?

Kick Freeney's walker out from under him?

Ninkovich is a gamer. Last year, you could count on him beating his man 2 or 3 times a game no matter the opposition while making plays elsewhere. That's not a great number, but compared to what we had seen years prior, it was positive.

he's not looking like a week 1 starter......

don't confuse getting lots of playing time with having a strong rookie season....when the chips were down, they went with eric moore, and then when the next season came around, the pats decided to go with the 4-3 and carter/anderson.....mostly because of cunningham.

I don't have a pony in the race, but I believe cunningham will be gone by week 1

Jermaine Cunningham was the catalyst to switch to a 4-3 base? It had nothing to do with it being faster to install with no offseason to speak of? It was Cunninghams doing? For someone who was injured all last season he sure did have an awful lot of pull when it comes to decision making.

Kick Freeney's walker out from under him?

Ninkovich is a gamer. Last year, you could count on him beating his man 2 or 3 times a game no matter the opposition while making plays elsewhere. That's not a great number, but compared to what we had seen years prior, it was positive.

1-on-1's also don't mean that he's going to be beaten consistently in a real game either. You don't have all that open space to breeze past someone with either, you'll still have to make your way through the other bodies unless you push your guy way outside. ...you can also give a tackle help in a real game, something that would defeat the purpose of a 1-on-1.

I know, right? Worst starter in the league!

Jermaine Cunningham was the catalyst to switch to a 4-3 base? It had nothing to do with it being faster to install with no offseason to speak of? It was Cunninghams doing? For someone who was injured all last season he sure did have an awful lot of pull when it comes to decision making.

except that the pats rounded up anderson and carter before the season began and before cunningham was injured, so the sign was already there......double it up with the pats drafting this season, and signs point to a cunningham departure

you'll see

No question, 3rd-round picks are traditionally locks. But I can't help but notice that none of you offered anything in support of Bequette beyond "he's a 3rd-round pick." By pick 90, the cap hit for cutting a rookie isn't much at all. IF it comes down to just 2 spots for those 4 players, I think it's possible.

I watched him yesterday morning at camp and he looked good, in fact a play he made breaking in and swatting down a Brady pass was one of the best plays of the morning practice.

I think the cuts are going to be brutal but i think Cunningham, Scott, and Bequette all make it, and if it comes down to 2 of them then i think Scott goes. they are just too deep for Francis to make it and I think he ends up on PS.

When Belichick met with Saban in the spring i think it was Saban's take on Bequette that played a big role in them taking him.

I watched him yesterday morning at camp and he looked good, in fact a play he made breaking in and swatting down a Brady pass was one of the best plays of the morning practice.

I think the cuts are going to be brutal but i think Cunningham, Scott, and Bequette all make it, and if it comes down to 2 of them then i think Scott goes. they are just too deep for Francis to make it and I think he ends up on PS.

Thanks, it's great to be hearing reports like this after the early word on Bequette seemed lukewarm at best. Here's to the roster cuts being as difficult as possible! :eat1:

I heard he actually hand picked the players from the last 2 drafts and also played quite a big role in bringing back JMcD as Offensive coordinator.

Last edited:
except that the pats rounded up anderson and carter before the season began and before cunningham was injured, so the sign was already there......double it up with the pats drafting this season, and signs point to a cunningham departure

you'll see

You may be right, as your guess is certainly just as good as mine, but I'm predicting that he stays.

We saw a nice rookie season from him, and his progress was somewhat limited last year with a poor sophomore season culminating in an injury. Not to mention a switch to a 4-3.

He should still have a spot here to show what he may have to offer, IMO, unless he's just doing miserably in TC (which I have not heard myself).

You may be right, as your guess is certainly just as good as mine, but I'm predicting that he stays.

We saw a nice rookie season from him, and his progress was somewhat limited last year with a poor sophomore season culminating in an injury. Not to mention a switch to a 4-3.

He should still have a spot here to show what he may have to offer, IMO, unless he's just doing miserably in TC (which I have not heard myself).

Today I read Cunningham was playing inside a little bit in sub packages, if he has advanced enough in strength that he can rush inside and out I think he will not only make the team but he will be a contributor. It seems like something clicked with him this off season. He spent all his time in Foxboro and was the first to reach out to new players like Fanene to workout. I think he has potential to really be something special he was obviously immature coming out of college so if he has figured it out mentally the talent is there to be a dominating OLB/DE..

My real question is what is wrong with Ron Brace now? Anybody know why he hasn't practiced in days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back