Ben Watson like Ben Coates ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
the pre-season is saying us, and we expected it, that Benjamin Watson could be one of the main target (if not the main target if Branch will leave us) for Tom Brady like in the past Ben Coates was for Drew Bledsoe

i think that Watson could have an awesome career

do you think he can become like Ben Coates ?

for me: yes-no doubt

He's not there yet but he is on his way.

Give him a little more time but in terms of promise, yes, he really could become as effective as Ben Coates was in the 90's.

Yes...Yes
Ben Coates made me alot of money his breakout year with the Pats. I took him as my 3rd receiver in a fantasy league and was laughed out of the room at the time. (Having Jerry Rice on my roster didn't hurt either).
Watson will be very valuable because he can handle all 3 stat categories...TDs, # of catches, yards.
The difference between Coates and Watson is significant. Coates thrived because of the pushoff. Watson will thrive because of speed. He presents a huge problem for D coordinators. If they use a LB at the line to jam him, running opportunities will open up and Graham will see less impeded opportunities. If the LBs layoff, the underneath route will be available for Watson and allow Troy Brown to stay out of the slot. I can't wait to see how the Pats deploy this group.

I don't really see the comparison. You could throw it to Coates with 3 guys around him and he'd snatch the ball then carry those three guys downfield. He wasn't particularly fast. It seems that Watson is going to get separation from defenders and then beat them with speed---not that he can't play physical, but it's not his primary strength. Coates also had incredible hands, it's unlikely Watson will ever go a season with a drop or two like Coates did.

The comparison is about production not style.

I agree with Borg & Isaac. Coates and Watson are both very different in their style. Coates ran his routes well, but was most successful due to his strength and uncanny ability to push-off at the right time. He didn't have nearly the speed that Watson has.

If anything, Ben Watson might have greater potential than Ben Coates. Watson is able to line up in the slot, and his speed will earn him longer pass plays than Coates.

In terms of production, I don't think it's farfetched for Watson to put up numbers like Coates did in his hey-day - we're talking 60-80 receptions a year and around 8 tds per seaon.

Watson is also a product of a different offense - the simple fact that Brady isn't always looking for "one" receiver may keep Watson's production down (as opposed to Bledsoe who looked to throw to Coates even when he was quadruple covered!).

smg93 said:

exactly.... I think we all thought/hoped that Grahm would be in the coates mold with size and hands. didnt turn out exactly how planned obviously, but I still hope he gets resigned and has a productive healthy year this year

italianpatthepatriot said:
the pre-season is saying us, and we expected it, that Benjamin Watson could be one of the main target (if not the main target if Branch will leave us) for Tom Brady like in the past Ben Coates was for Drew Bledsoe

i think that Watson could have an awesome career

do you think he can become like Ben Coates ?

for me: yes-no doubt

It's so funny you said that because the other night vs. Washington, Watson made a catch over his shoulder while running down the middle of the field on a laser from Brady.

I swear, at the time, I had a flashback to old #87. It just LOOKED like a Coates grab!

ADPF

Last edited:
smg93 said:

yes. i was meaning it.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
It's so funny you said that because the other night vs. Washington, Watson made a catch over his shoulder while running down the middle of the field on a laser from Brady.

I swear, at the time, I had a flashback to old #87. It just LOOKED like a Coates grab!

ADPF

Ben Coates was a special player. Ben Watson is appearing to be as well. My 2 thoughts on this subject is that while Coates was physically difficult to handle, Watson has Jaw-dropping strength PLUS speed. I also think that had Ben Coates played with Brady when Coates was in his prime, he would probably have set untouchable recieving records. I know that Bledsoe loved throwing to Coates but Brady does everything better and would have KILLED defenses with the dump off to Coates.

Daniel Graham is no slouch and he is already in Watson's shadow. I would say that Watson could and probably will become the #1 TE in the NFL with more comparisons to Gonzalez of KC than Ben Coates.

Interesting subject......

Armen Da Pats Fan said:

ADPF

You know I thought of that too when I was responding, almost wrote "except for that one pass against the Skins", but it seemed too vague. Hey, if Watson can catch balls in traffic anything like Coates could, I'm all for it!

Armen Da Pats Fan said:

ADPF

IF Benjamin Watson should really produce (and the game against WSH probably will be not 'alone') like Ben Coates.

wow...

let's hope so but i loved him like never after his play @ DEN in play-offs game
and this year could be a force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back