PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick still greatest of all time coach?

kennyb

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I wonder if he retires in a year or two without having a good run or even making the playoffs, does that hurt his case for goat? Ironic that if he retired when brady left he would probably be considered better.

Nope that won’t hurt his case.

Only thing that hurts his legacy is Spygate but other than that his legacy is set.

Clearly he’s not the same without Brady but that’s not unusual. Any all time great coach isnt the same either without their all time great QB and history has shown that.

Last edited:
the boston media will see to it his legacy is hurt. As will some fair weather fans or most pats fans .Especially after a loss. In reality it shouldnt.

I wonder if he retires in a year or two without having a good run or even making the playoffs, does that hurt his case for goat? Ironic that if he retired when brady left he would probably be considered better.
Short term, sure. But people need to realize that many great head coaches are dragged away kicking and screaming, and in the long run no one remembers. Paul Brown was ****canned in Cleveland and won nothing without Otto Graham; no one remembers the latter now. Tom Landry and Chuck Noll both stayed far past their expiration date; no one remembers that now.

Yes it will hurt.

Media will go nuts if Brady beats Bill while breaking the all time passing record. Bill would be now 1-3 and 8-12 since Brady left.

Former players will come out and bash Bill.

I still say the first three Super Bowl seasons were more Belichick than Brady and the last three were more Brady than Belichick. But either way, Belichick is still the greatest of all time and that will never be in doubt.

Best of his generation, and that will never really be in doubt. That being said I think when it’s all said and done the general consensus will be that Brady was the most important person in the dynasty.

Probably the GOAT coach BUT, I think he has lost his fastball. This UFA class he spent a fortune on to sign looks horrendous so far.
His behavior at the post game presser has become downright bizarre and ultimately when you are not winning its harder to accept how he mistreats people.
Its not a good look for the organization.
Ultimately, the last year has proven that Brady was responsible for a great deal of his success.

Best of his generation, and that will never really be in doubt. That being said I think when it’s all said and done the general consensus will be that Brady was the most important person in the dynasty.

Well, he is the QB and most of his career the league has been QB driven. So of course he will be remembered as the most important person. They are both the greatest of all time at what they do.

I think there are individual Super Bowls during the dynasty where one could have won without the other for each guy (Brady probably has more). But no way this team wins six without both men.

Probably the GOAT coach BUT, I think he has lost his fastball. This UFA class he spent a fortune on to sign looks horrendous so far.
His behavior at the post game presser has become downright bizarre and ultimately when you are not winning its harder to accept how he mistreats people.
Ultimately, the last year has proven that Brady was responsible for a great deal of his success.
BB would agree. He has said from Day 1 that it's a player's game.

Belichick has always acted this way In press conferences. People just didn’t care when the Pats were winning.

I still think he is the best coach in the NFL today. I think his GM skills are lacking though.

I still say the first three Super Bowls were more Belichick than Brady and the last three were more Brady than Belichick. But either way, Belichick is still the greatest of all time and that will never be in doubt.
I mostly agree though one could argue that 53 was more Belichick than Brady given how systematically he outcoached McVay and how predicated on strong D that victory was.

Conversely, you could also make the case that the Pats don't win that SB against the Panthers without Brady playing out of his mind. That defense did, in spite of how great it was throughout that playoff run, give up 29 points in that game.

I mostly agree though one could argue that 53 was more Belichick than Brady given how systematically he outcoached McVay and how predicated on strong D that victory was.

Conversely, though you could also make the case that the Pats don't win that SB against the Panthers without Brady playing out of his mind. That defense did, in spite of how great it was throughout that playoff run, give up 29 points in that game.

When I say this, I am not just talking about the Super Bowls themselves, but the seasons in total. You have to get to a Super Bowl to win it. Like the 2003 season. The Pats don’t get to the Super Bowl without having a historic defense. But it was Brady’s performance in the fourth quarter of that Super Bowl that won the game. So I still give Belichick more credit for that year.

And in 2018, I don’t think the Pats get to the Super Bowl without Brady even though he did not play all that great in the Super Bowl. So I give him the edge over Belichick that year.

Belichick has always acted this way In press conferences. People just didn’t care when the Pats were winning.

I still think he is the best coach in the NFL today. I think his GM skills are lacking though.
Agree. He has always acted like an ass to the reporters, but now as a losing coach it seems more egregious. Supposedly Brady and Gronk could not stand him at the end. Not good...he should have found a way to keep them

When you win 6 your legacy is set in stone. Even if he never wins another game.

Did the two years with the Wizards hurt Michael Jordan's case for the NBA's GOAT status?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back